Windows 10: "Word could not create the work file" error

Discus and support "Word could not create the work file" error in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I asked this question recently, but I've pinpointed the action that causes it, so I'm reposting it in the Windows area. When I have the Preview pane... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Robert__S, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Robert__S Win User

"Word could not create the work file" error

I asked this question recently, but I've pinpointed the action that causes it, so I'm reposting it in the Windows area.

When I have the Preview pane open in the file explorer, I get a dialog with "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable". If I dismiss this dialog twice, the contents of the file appear in the preview pane.

My temp environment variable points to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp.

When I examine the permissions on this folder in the Security tab of the Properties dialog, it says "No permissions have been assigned for this object.

Warning: this is a potential security risk because anyone who can access this object can take ownership of it. The object’s owner should assign permissions as soon as possible." There are a whole lot of files in this folder, so I assume that it has read/write permissions.

I've tried deleting the temp folder. It is re-created with read/write permissions, but it has appeared with no permissions again today.

This problem occurs with two user accounts on this machine.

The "chkdsk" command does not reveal any errors.

I'm using Windows Pro 10 64 bit

:)

Robert__S, Jan 15, 2020

2. microsoft word 2003

I have a lot of ms word files on my pc. But one of them showed me an error - Getting unknown error messages while opening (.doc) or (.docx) files. I don't know how to open my word file or repair microsoft word. Any suggestions, guys, please.

abandone15, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Photoman Win User
    Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors

I'm getting two similar error messages when I try to open both Outlook and Word....

(Outlook / Word) could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable.

Outlook is not opening at all, and Word will open at the second or third "OK" click on the error message.

I've spent the last 24 hours editing the registry, for both programs based on advice found online, but nothing has worked.

I'm using the Office 2013 versions of both programs (version 15 Outlook). Could someone offer me any suggestions as to how the registry should look for both programs please, as this is preventing em from working (I'm self employed and use both programs all the time).

I saw that there's a workaround using IE, but it's not on my computer (only Edge). This keeps crashing when I try to open it, and I can't seem to get a download of IE, as Microsoft assume I have it already.

I tried a system restore several times but for some reason it won't work - I was even so desperate to fix it. I tried resetting the OS, but this also failed (I have no idea why).

Add this to the problems of saving files in Word caused by Windows 10, and I have to say that for me, it wasn't a good choice to upgrade.

Any help on this would be very welcome.

Stephen

Photoman, Jan 15, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

microsoft word 2003

Is it just one file, or all your word files?

With the exception of Outlook, I have yet to find a reason to stop using Office 2000, 2003, and 2007. They open all the latest files just fine, and they work just fine.

newtekie1, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

1. "Word could not create the work file" error - Similar Threads - Word create file

2. Windows Backup Error 0x81000019, A shadow copy could not be created

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Backup Error 0x81000019, A shadow copy could not be created: [ATTACH] [IMG]When trying to take a backup of Windows 10, you may encounter an error — A shadow copy could not be created. This error is associated with VSS and SPP event logs and may be accompanied with error code 0x81000019. [...] This post Windows Backup Error 0x81000019,...
  3. Word 2019 opening Microsoft Works created documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word 2019 opening Microsoft Works created documents: I am try to help my friend correct an issue. She update her Windows 7 operating system with Windows 10 version 1803, in doing so her previous application of Microsoft Works was not useable and called me for help. Windows 10 version 1803 is now updated to Windows 10 version...
  4. Getting Error: Fatal: Could not create work tree dir 'folder's name in repository':No such...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Getting Error: Fatal: Could not create work tree dir 'folder's name in repository':No such...: Hello. My operating system is Windows 10 Home. It's default operating system when I bought my laptop from official store. First of all, I don't know is it my real problem or not , but most probably it is write permission, I guess. So I want to describe my problem precisely....
  5. MMC could not create the snap-in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MMC could not create the snap-in: Event viewer desapir in my laptop, i check the turnthe Microsoft.net Framwork,then in the registry i did the HKEY_LOCAL_MECHINE\Software\MICROSOFT\MMC\Snapinsvinside snapins search for the error number specified in CLSID,diddn't work,then Idid sfc /scannow, then scan with...
  6. Error creating new incoming connection - Windows could not create your connection.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error creating new incoming connection - Windows could not create your connection.: Hi, I'm having a tough time creating a new incoming connection on my Windows 10 pc. I'm trying to create a VPN so that my laptop can connect to a NAS drive on a LAN network, both in and out of the office. At the end of the 'Allow connections to this computer' wizard, it...
  7. Windows Cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created.: How can I fix this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-complete-the-extraction-the/ac57719e-c86b-4da7-b998-aca27f3879a3
  8. Could not create key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Could not create key: i have a problem when i want to instal a asus software for my rog gl503vd. there are a could not create key \software\Asus\ROG GameVisual\1.02.0001. Thanks For your help....
  9. Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors: I'm getting two similar error messages when I try to open both Outlook and Word.... (Outlook / Word) could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable. Outlook is not opening at all, and Word will open at the second or third "OK" click on the error...
  10. MMC could not create the snap-in

in Windows 10 Support
    MMC could not create the snap-in: When I try to access Windows Firewall Advanced Settings I get an error:"MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly."I have followed instructions on various forums attempting to fix, such as:deleting the relevant registry...