Windows 10: "Word could not create the work file" error

Discus and support "Word could not create the work file" error in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I asked this question recently, but I've pinpointed the action that causes it, so I'm reposting it in the Windows area. When I have the Preview pane... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Robert__S, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Robert__S Win User

"Word could not create the work file" error

I asked this question recently, but I've pinpointed the action that causes it, so I'm reposting it in the Windows area.

When I have the Preview pane open in the file explorer, I get a dialog with "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable". If I dismiss this dialog twice, the contents of the file appear in the preview pane.

My temp environment variable points to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp.

When I examine the permissions on this folder in the Security tab of the Properties dialog, it says "No permissions have been assigned for this object.

Warning: this is a potential security risk because anyone who can access this object can take ownership of it. The object’s owner should assign permissions as soon as possible." There are a whole lot of files in this folder, so I assume that it has read/write permissions.

I've tried deleting the temp folder. It is re-created with read/write permissions, but it has appeared with no permissions again today.

This problem occurs with two user accounts on this machine.

The "chkdsk" command does not reveal any errors.

I'm using Windows Pro 10 64 bit

:)

Robert__S, Jan 15, 2020

2. microsoft word 2003

I have a lot of ms word files on my pc. But one of them showed me an error - Getting unknown error messages while opening (.doc) or (.docx) files. I don't know how to open my word file or repair microsoft word. Any suggestions, guys, please.

abandone15, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Photoman Win User
    Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors

I'm getting two similar error messages when I try to open both Outlook and Word....

(Outlook / Word) could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable.

Outlook is not opening at all, and Word will open at the second or third "OK" click on the error message.

I've spent the last 24 hours editing the registry, for both programs based on advice found online, but nothing has worked.

I'm using the Office 2013 versions of both programs (version 15 Outlook). Could someone offer me any suggestions as to how the registry should look for both programs please, as this is preventing em from working (I'm self employed and use both programs all the time).

I saw that there's a workaround using IE, but it's not on my computer (only Edge). This keeps crashing when I try to open it, and I can't seem to get a download of IE, as Microsoft assume I have it already.

I tried a system restore several times but for some reason it won't work - I was even so desperate to fix it. I tried resetting the OS, but this also failed (I have no idea why).

Add this to the problems of saving files in Word caused by Windows 10, and I have to say that for me, it wasn't a good choice to upgrade.

Any help on this would be very welcome.

Stephen

Photoman, Jan 15, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

microsoft word 2003

Is it just one file, or all your word files?

With the exception of Outlook, I have yet to find a reason to stop using Office 2000, 2003, and 2007. They open all the latest files just fine, and they work just fine.

newtekie1, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

1. "Word could not create the work file" error - Similar Threads - Word create file

2. Sudden reboot, could not create dump file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden reboot, could not create dump file: Happened out of the blue, dump file was not created. Any help appreciated.Also Merry Xmas and happy holidays to anyone reading https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-reboot-could-not-create-dump-file/6021a717-682d-4c77-ad4d-bf5e1824cf76
  3. Sudden reboot, could not create dump file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden reboot, could not create dump file: Happened out of the blue, dump file was not created. Any help appreciated.Also Merry Xmas and happy holidays to anyone reading https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-reboot-could-not-create-dump-file/6021a717-682d-4c77-ad4d-bf5e1824cf76
  4. Error: The File could not be decrypted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: The File could not be decrypted: I already had Windows 11. I Reset PC remove everything and did clean install of Windows 11. I have external drive connected to my laptop. In this external drive I had applied folder & Files Encryption to a specific folder and files inside it. Now, after re-installing Windows...
  5. Error: The File could not be decrypted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error: The File could not be decrypted: I already had Windows 11. I Reset PC remove everything and did clean install of Windows 11. I have external drive connected to my laptop. In this external drive I had applied folder & Files Encryption to a specific folder and files inside it. Now, after re-installing Windows...
  6. Reading A File Created In WORD On A Mac On A PC ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Reading A File Created In WORD On A Mac On A PC ?: Hello, Thanks for all the previous help over the years. Can really use some advice with this, as I'm pretty well lost on what to do. That old age problem again, I guess. I have a document on my MAC created with MS WORD. I want to put it on a USB stick and give it to someone...
  7. Could not create Direct3DDevice9!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Could not create Direct3DDevice9!: An error is showing on my computer screen when i opening any good game . Could not create Direct3DDevice9! error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL Pleasd help . I have searched a lot on internet but problem still not resolves . My window - Windows 10 Direct x version - Directx 12 and...
  8. Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2007 preview pane "Word could not create the work file. Check...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2007 preview pane "Word could not create the work file. Check...: I purchased a brand new computer with Windows 10 on it. I installed my Microsoft Office 2007 on it with no problem. Everything worked fine. Then a new update for Windows 10 downloaded on my computer and now all of a sudden when I am in my file folder with preview pane on,...
  9. Could not create key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Could not create key: i have a problem when i want to instal a asus software for my rog gl503vd. there are a could not create key \software\Asus\ROG GameVisual\1.02.0001. Thanks For your help....
  10. Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook and Word "Could not create the Work File" Errors: I'm getting two similar error messages when I try to open both Outlook and Word.... (Outlook / Word) could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable. Outlook is not opening at all, and Word will open at the second or third "OK" click on the error...