Windows 10: Word, DllHost and Com Surrogate continually stop working

Discus and support Word, DllHost and Com Surrogate continually stop working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 2H20 + Office 365 64 bit. I have a system drive C and a data drive D. Windows update not showing any new updates Today I have well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Chrisa3008, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Word, DllHost and Com Surrogate continually stop working

I have Windows 10 2H20 + Office 365 64 bit. I have a system drive C and a data drive D. Windows update not showing any new updates

Today I have well over a dozen instances. Apart from Word I only see events from the Reliability history. Word starts, I can open files from history and edit them. If I try to open by browsing, save, go to home /options Word closes. It can then reopen straight away in which case I have to use task manager to close it.

I thought it was all Word, However I now realise the problem started a week before it affected Word. It seem to have followed the uninstallation of Kofax/Nuance PDF and Nuance Paperport.

I have already:

Tried repairing Office, uninstalled and reinstalled Office, uninstalled and reinstalled Norton 360 and Malwarebytes, deleted printer drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled graphic drivers, run sfc and DISM, edited the registry to eliminate all references to Nuance/Kofax, deleted references to same programmes in all appdata folders.

Latest error reports:

COM surrogate stopped working

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: DllHost.exe

Application Version: 10.0.19041.546

Application Timestamp: f25621f0

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.19041.844

Fault Module Timestamp: 60a6ca36

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000000000063416

OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 3d45

Additional Information 2: 3d457027f16c6cdea2732678c9b61b44

Additional Information 3: e9b7

Additional Information 4: e9b7669e195bcf8df55ef0d3f9a52839

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: e95e742fe5d296826ce01c1bc38a67f8 2080693933415491576

Word stopped working:

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: WINWORD.EXE

Application Version: 16.0.13901.20336

Application Timestamp: 6065c55e

Fault Module Name: mso20win32client.dll

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 605b6746

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000001aefd8

OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 6b75

Additional Information 2: 6b75310702a609dc426ec5c11e5c0f1a

Additional Information 3: f4b9

Additional Information 4: f4b96e23dd7bd03fd4d4bb5ec898838e

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 2e400b15e75571b6599e54859dc60e8a 1846005830122868362

I have an open ticket

• [COLOR=rgba26, 26, 26, 1]Case #: 1020040443 without response[/COLOR]

I have had superb support from Malwarebytes but to no avail.

Wondering what to do next.

:)

Chrisa3008, Apr 7, 2021
  2. Assassin48, Apr 7, 2021
  3. Kreij Win User
    COM Surrogate has stopped working???

Interesting.
    A COM surrogate thread is created when the dllhosts process does not trust what it is running.
    It creates an unattached thread to run it in case if totally craps out so that it does not take out dllhosts with it.
    A program itself can create a COM surrogate thread, but most issues are do to flakey code that the dllhosts process does not like.
    I would be wary of disabling processes. This error is a sort of "catch all" for untrusted code.
    I would look for incompatibilities in apps or drivers first.

Kreij, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Word, DllHost and Com Surrogate continually stop working

Error Message: COM Surrogate has stopped working

Hi Bernard,

COM Surrogate is a process in Windows 10 that is in charge of showing thumbnails and similar information. Issues with COM Surrogate
    is probably caused by MacType or codecs and other COM components installed by various software, like some versions of DivX or Nero.

We would like to know some information to better assist you:

• Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What specific activity are you doing when the error message come up?
    • What specific troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? for us to know what troubleshooting steps we can provide next.

Please check the details of the errors using the steps below and provide us with a screenshot:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type View all, then click on View all problem reports Control panel.
    • Right-click on a few of the "COM Surrogate", "Stopped working" errors.
    • View technical details.

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

Word, DllHost and Com Surrogate continually stop working

1. Word, DllHost and Com Surrogate continually stop working - Similar Threads - Word DllHost Com

2. COM Surrogate has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Surrogate has stopped working: Hi Microsoft community services , when i refresh the desktop , or when i open the folder thet have large icons of photos or videos ... this window appear and say COM Surrogate has stopped working!Please help me ... because i tried some solution such as 1 – Add dllhost.exe to...
  3. COM Surrogate has stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate has stopped working: Hi Microsoft community services , when i refresh the desktop , or when i open the folder thet have large icons of photos or videos ... this window appear and say COM Surrogate has stopped working!Please help me ... because i tried some solution such as 1 – Add dllhost.exe to...
  4. COM Surrogate has stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. COM Surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate: Gostaria de saber se isso é um virus ou um programa legivel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/com-surrogate/78136555-aabd-40e5-ae6e-d2acdf4ccdad
  6. COM surrogate

COM surrogate: I logged on this morning and CMD automatically opened. I became concerned because nothing like this usually happens, so i opened task manager after researching reasons why this may occur and discovering that it may be caused by malware. i saw that a couple programs labelled...
  7. Com Surrogate

Com Surrogate: Hi! This days my computer shows a window that I never saw before about COM Surrogate. It says Windows Security in the name bar above but I don't thrust. What it is? It's a virus?...
  8. com surrogate has stopped working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    com surrogate has stopped working: When I am using my computer, it would randomly say "com surrogate has stopped working." I then just close it and it pops up again, close it and it goes away. I have no idea why. Here are the Windows Event Logs: Windows Log 1 - Pastebin.com Windows Log 2 - Pastebin.com...
  9. Com surrogate stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Com surrogate stopped working: Not having any issues with the pc but in reliability history I am seeing occasional ‘com surrogate has stopped working’ messages. It’s very sporadic. Sometimes many many days with nothing listed but then yesterday I saw it shortly after starting machine and then again today....
  10. COM Surrogate Stopped Working error

in Windows 10 Support
    COM Surrogate Stopped Working error: I am getting the odd COM Surrogate Stopped Working error and not sure where to start troubleshooting. Can someone point me in the right direction? Here are the error details: Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe Problem signature...