Windows 10: Word fills in the wrong file name when I go to save

Discus and support Word fills in the wrong file name when I go to save in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've now had this happen several times. I open a Word file, work on it, and when I go to save I get the WRONG file name in the file name field. I, of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CapnCack, Dec 1, 2019.

1. CapnCack Win User

Word fills in the wrong file name when I go to save

I've now had this happen several times. I open a Word file, work on it, and when I go to save I get the WRONG file name in the file name field.

I, of course, stupidly assuming when I hit save on a file the file name will be that of the file I'm actually working on, hit save without thinking - and voila! - I've now saved over a completely DIFFERENT file from the one I've been working on.

****, Microsoft?

I'm using Word 2016.

:)

CapnCack, Dec 1, 2019
  2. normalPP Win User

How to turn off Auto-Fill of file name when using Save-As

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 7, back in 2010, I have been plagued by a problem that has forced me to repeatedly cancel a Save-As action and, in some instances, has caused me to inadvertently overwrite irreplaceable files. That problem is the Auto-Fill
    feature of Save-As, which fills in the name of the new file I am trying to save with the name of any other file in the folder over which I may accidentally have happened to move my cursor. This is not an infrequent occurrence. In fact, it happens almost
    every time I try to save a new file with Save-As, before I can type into the name field the name I actually want to give to the file. On many occasions, I either have to delete the auto-filled file name, or back out of the Save-As process altogether and then
    re-initiate the Save-As process, being excruciatingly careful to navigate down through the hierarchy of folders, without allowing the cursor to encroach on the list of files already existing in any of those folders. For me, it is almost impossible to avoid
    this error and I am forced to delete the erroneous file name from the name field, or re-initiate the Save-As process, not infrequently, several times. It is maddening - and it has even worse consequences when I don't notice that I have accidentally moved
    the cursor over the list of existing files and thereby enabled the Auto-Fill feature to automatically fill in the name field with the name of some other file in the folder. Is there any way to disable the Auto-fill feature when using Save-As? I can't see
    how this could ever have been considered to be a time-saving convenience. For me, it is an ever-lurking disaster waiting to happen, every time I use Save-AS to try to save a file. I have been badly burned on so many occasions that I now make a painstaking
    effort always to keep the cursor outside the boundaries of all folder windows, until I reach the target folder and am actually able to fill in the name field myself with the name I want to give the file. When I upgraded to Windows 10, I had hoped this problem
    would have been corrected, or at least that I would have been given the option to somehow disable it. But I haven't found any relief yet and, to my surprise, I have never heard of anybody else who has indicated that this has been a problem for them. I would
    very much appreciate information on how I might get rid of this albatross.

normalPP, Dec 1, 2019
  3. How to turn off Auto-Fill of file name when using Save-As

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Auto fill is a feature which shows a list of previously typed items as you begin filling a field. This features usually saves time for the particular work. We should be aware when using the auto fill function if you have
    not done correctly, it may override the existing file. Therefore it is advised that try to make small modifications to the file name whenever you try to save.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Dec 1, 2019
  4. Word fills in the wrong file name when I go to save

Save files after Windows 10 upgrade

Hi Marshall,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to give permission for entire system, so that you can save the files in word or excel.

• Right click on the folder and click on properties.
    • Click on security tab and select the group\user name.
    • Click on edit option and check the option full control.
    • Click on apply and then on ok button.
    Now you can try saving the file in word or excel and check if the issue persists.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 1, 2019
Thema:

Word fills in the wrong file name when I go to save

1. Word fills in the wrong file name when I go to save - Similar Threads - Word fills wrong

2. How to Turn Off Auto-Fill of Word File Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Turn Off Auto-Fill of Word File Name: Ever since I upgraded to Windows 7, back in 2010, I have been plagued by a problem that has forced me to repeatedly cancel a Save-As action and, in some instances, has caused me to inadvertently overwrite irreplaceable files. That problem is the Auto-Fill feature of Save-As,...
  3. How to Turn Off Auto-Fill of Word File Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Turn Off Auto-Fill of Word File Name: Ever since I upgraded to Windows 7, back in 2010, I have been plagued by a problem that has forced me to repeatedly cancel a Save-As action and, in some instances, has caused me to inadvertently overwrite irreplaceable files. That problem is the Auto-Fill feature of Save-As,...
  4. When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type: All images saved from Chrome are being saved with the file type "File" regardless of the original file type of the image i am saving.I have tried from different browsers and they are saved in the correct format.I've contacted Google support and they say this is a Windows...
  5. When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type: All images saved from Chrome are being saved with the file type "File" regardless of the original file type of the image i am saving.I have tried from different browsers and they are saved in the correct format.I've contacted Google support and they say this is a Windows...
  6. When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type

7. Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files: I’m not even sure what to Google to try and figure this out. Looking for any help. My goal is when I go to save a file that the name of the file starts with this date format... YYYY-DD-MM Then the highlighted blue area would be editable and I could put whatever in there. But...
  8. Files wrongly named

Files wrongly named: Running W10 [Version 10.0.18363.1316] I have ripped a load of my CD's ... on a couple of them, the details are wrong ..... on every track it has wrong Name, Title, Contributing Artist, Album I assume it must have dragged down wrong entries from the on-line database. I can...
  9. Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge: When I unlocked my computer this morning and tried "save as" for a photo out of Edge, there was one of my financial files names auto populated in the "file name" field. It has been some time since I've used Edge (usually use Chrome). I have not done anything with that file in...
  10. when i save a file it saves the wrong date

in Windows 10 Customization
    when i save a file it saves the wrong date: The computer is saving the wrong date when I export or have a save-as file. How can I fix this? This is happening on 2 of the computers I bought new at the same time and they are having the same problem. Thanks Linda...