Windows 10: Word not saving documents, unsaved document pane has vanished, autosave not working

Discus and support Word not saving documents, unsaved document pane has vanished, autosave not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have no idea what's going on here, but this is what's been happening: 1) Two weeks ago, Microsoft Word crashed unexpctedly. When I reopened it, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jo V25, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jo V25 Win User

Word not saving documents, unsaved document pane has vanished, autosave not working

I have no idea what's going on here, but this is what's been happening:

1) Two weeks ago, Microsoft Word crashed unexpctedly. When I reopened it, the autosaved documents pane on the lefthand side had vanished, as did all of the unsaved documents it would have displayed. I could not find them anywhere. I just sighed and recreated the work.

2) Today, Word does the same thing. Except, autosave was definitely on and SHOULD have saved the document even if I hadn't. I went to bed, leaving Word open, and when I woke up, the internet was down. I worked on the document some, then tried to open another document to work on it. Word shut again. When I opened it, the document was gone, and the only saved version I had was from yesterday morning!

I don't know what to do. I've done the following:

1) Signed into OneDrive. It isn't there.
    2) Searched Word App. It isn't there.

If the document is lost, it's lost. But I need to find out WHY Word is doing this so I can stop it from happening again.

Please help.

:)

Jo V25, Sep 10, 2019
  2. AndreTen Win User

Autosave documents in Word, Excel, Powerpoint

My version (Office 365 Proplus latest) is offering Autosave only for documents on Onedrive, and there you have option to save versions.

Word not saving documents, unsaved document pane has vanished, autosave not working [​IMG]

And check save options..

Word not saving documents, unsaved document pane has vanished, autosave not working [​IMG]

But if Office is acting like this for you, you should send feedback to MS immediately. It's not what I would want to do from my favorite Office suite.

Good practice would be, to first make a copy of document, and then start to edit it... but we all do like you described…
    Edit: sorry, another edit. There are additional saving options under Advanced. Maybe check "Always save backup" and disable saving in background:

AndreTen, Sep 10, 2019
  3. Word document not auto saved

I wrote a word document and never titled it or even saved it originally. i work and come back to my work and know that autosave exists so i didn't worry about it. My computer got closed accidentally. 2 days later i opened word and found my document under
    Document 1 as is common for unsaved documents. When it opened There was only one paragraph. I spent hours on this and i have auto save set to every ten minutes, how is it possible that it only auto saved a paragraph i completed in ten minutes and lost hours
    of work. Why even both using word if i can't trust auto save whatsoever. I saved the unsaved document it managed to recover thinking that it was better than nothing. Can i still find the file that i was last on? i worked on it on the 13th of January and after
    i finished working the computer was left open for at least 2 hours so there was plenty of time to auto save. I opened it again on the 15th. Please help this essay is worth 15% of my grade. I do not back up with office or any of that stuff.

SimoneKrueger1234, Sep 10, 2019
  4. Sigurd Win User

Word not saving documents, unsaved document pane has vanished, autosave not working

Autosave documents in Word, Excel, Powerpoint

But why should I have to do any one of these work arounds? I can see the (minimal) advantage of having the autosave, but why give the option to switch it on or off only for the document being worked on? There should be a master switch as well.

Word, as possibly every other program around, prompts you to save your document before closing it, Life's not so short that we need to save ourselves a couple of mouse clicks!

Sigurd, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Word not saving documents, unsaved document pane has vanished, autosave not working - Similar Threads - Word saving documents

2. unsaved document recovery?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unsaved document recovery?: Hello,my friend is trying to get an unsaved document on Microsoft word on her MacBook. Her laptop restarted randomly and the 10 pages of writing she had, all gone. Anything from after nov 29th is gone....
  3. Autosave not properly working for a Word document on OneDrive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Autosave not properly working for a Word document on OneDrive: I have a Word document saved in the OneDrive folder to allow autosave. But each time I open the document autosave is off again, and switching it on I get the message: [img] Clicking that my document gets saved in the same folder, but with a new name: "document (1).docx"....
  4. Saving Word Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving Word Documents: How can I save a word document as a JPG file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-word-documents/93d7a253-ae4d-4ac4-90f1-3923058007b6"
  5. Autosave not properly working for a Word document on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Autosave not properly working for a Word document on OneDrive: I have a Word document saved in the OneDrive folder to allow autosave. But each time I open the document autosave is off again, and switching it on I get the message: [img] Clicking that my document gets saved in the same folder, but with a new name: "document (1).docx"....
  6. WOrD PAd...retrieving an unsaved document

in Windows 10 Customization
    WOrD PAd...retrieving an unsaved document: Can anyone tell me how, or if it's even possible to recover an unsaved document I typed out in WordPad? Before I was able to save the document, my computer rebooted itself and when I opened up Word Pad I was hoping for the document to appear or at least a message asking to...
  7. Can unsaved document in Word be recovered?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can unsaved document in Word be recovered?: I had a number of documents in word I was planning to save doc 1, 2, 3......and did not save them, now I cant find them in unsaved docs. Can they be recovered? Please Help!...
  8. Unsaved document.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unsaved document.: How can I restore an unsaved data from Word? It is not in the unsaved file folder. Is it in the cloud? How do I access that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unsaved-document/2f1f953e-4539-461a-91ac-36df9b4d6b07
  9. word documents saved as wordpad documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    word documents saved as wordpad documents: I am using Word 2013 on my laptop. Windows 8 was operating system. Recently upgraded to Windows 10. When I save Word documents now, they are saved as Wordpad documents. (.xml files) Wordpad does not recommend some of the Word formatting and alters the documents. How do I...
  10. Autosave documents in Word, Excel, Powerpoint

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Autosave documents in Word, Excel, Powerpoint: There is now a "feature" which has lost me documents (or would have had I not had backups). As many people do, I sometimes load an old document to act as a template, making suitable amendments and saving it under a new name. The problem is that unless I remember to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why isnt microsoft word not working properly 2020?

2. i lost 2 hours of work on word why didnt autosave work