Windows 10: Word Preview docx format doesn't interoperate with Word 2007?

Discus and support Word Preview docx format doesn't interoperate with Word 2007? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just installed the Word Preview app from the store - it's fairly usable, but... when you open an existing docx file, it claims it is in an old file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sgage, Feb 28, 2015.

1. sgage Win User

Word Preview docx format doesn't interoperate with Word 2007?

I just installed the Word Preview app from the store - it's fairly usable, but... when you open an existing docx file, it claims it is in an old file format, offers to save a copy in the newer format, or loads the file read-only. So it saves a copy as a docx file. Word 2007 can work with this file, but if you edit it and close it, opening with Word Preview gives the same file format warning.

Editing the file with Word Online does not have this effect.

Strange! Anyone else seen this? What sort of flag is it picking up in the Word 2007-edited file that makes it think it's an old format, even though it's docx? Whatever!

:)

sgage, Feb 28, 2015

2. Word Count Column in File Explorer

Assuming that you have MS Word installed, Word Count is not displayed for .rtf format. This is displayed for .docx / .doc formats.

E for Excel, Feb 28, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows 10 opening .docx documents

Windows 10 doesn't open .docx files. That is done by Microsoft Word.

Files with a .docx extension can be opened by Microsoft Word 2007 and later. Earlier versions of Word can read .docx files, but they require patching.

BulldogXX, Feb 28, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Word 2007 supported "Transitional" version of Microsoft Office XML document formats defined by ECMA from prior to the ISO standardization process. That process created small changes in the format that are not 100% compatible with the original ECMA release.

Read more here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dmahugh/arch...00-strict.aspx

Mystere, Feb 28, 2015
  5. sgage Win User
    Thanks for the link Mystere. That explains it...

sgage, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Word Preview docx format doesn't interoperate with Word 2007? - Similar Threads - Word Preview docx

2. Recover Word 2007 Document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recover Word 2007 Document: I accidentally overwrote a Word doc. I have autorecover set up, yet there are NO files in autorecover. Zip. Never have been in all the years I've used Word. I AM DESPERATE!When I try to go to and follow this path C:\Users\linda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ NOTHING shows...
  3. Recover Word 2007 Document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover Word 2007 Document: I accidentally overwrote a Word doc. I have autorecover set up, yet there are NO files in autorecover. Zip. Never have been in all the years I've used Word. I AM DESPERATE!When I try to go to and follow this path C:\Users\linda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ NOTHING shows...
  4. Recover Word 2007 Document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Word 2007

Word 2007: Yes, I know it's no longer supported, but I'm pretty sure that Microsoft have actively removed a facility that used to work, namely, encryption. I can no longer find the facility within Word. The only place I see it mentioned is in the Properties of the Word file, where it is...
  6. Lost DocX option in Word 2010

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Lost DocX option in Word 2010: Having problems with Documents folder and One Drive, (on other threads). This morning went to write and then save a file in Word 2010, only to find 'no files matching etc.' in the folder/file that I required. Went to see if I was looking at the wrong Doc. type and the...
  7. Lost DocX option in Word 2010

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost DocX option in Word 2010: Having problems with Documents folder and One Drive, (on other threads). This morning went to write and then save a file in Word 2010, only to find 'no files matching etc.' in the folder/file that I required. Went to see if I was looking at the wrong Doc. type and the...
  8. Microsoft Office Word 2007

Microsoft Office Word 2007: My laptop runs Windows 10. I regularly get updates which then result in me losing access to my Word files. I usually uninstall them and can then use my documents as usual. I tried to uninstall the recent updates but cannot do this. Spoke to someone from Microsoft who said she...
  9. Windows Explorer crashes when trying to preview Word (.docx) files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer crashes when trying to preview Word (.docx) files: Here goes: I open Windows Explorer The preview button is engaged I preview all types of files no problem including Office 365 Excel, Adobe .pdf, Word 97-2003 .DOC, jpg, gif, tif, etc. I try to preview Word .docx files and Windows Explorer freezes. Have to go into task...
  10. Word 2007 configuration

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2007 configuration: My OS is Windows 10 and my computer is an HP Lap Top series 15. I have MS Office2007 installed and all of a sudden when I open Word it wants to go through a reconfiguration process which takes about 45 seconds. It will do it every time. To try to repair I put in the Office CD...