Windows 10: Word printing via SPLWOW64

Discus and support Word printing via SPLWOW64 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I work on a product that deals with printing and recently noticed that the 64-bit version of Word is printing through the SPLWOW64 application. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Amura, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Amura Win User

Word printing via SPLWOW64

I work on a product that deals with printing and recently noticed that the 64-bit version of Word is printing through the SPLWOW64 application. I'm familiar with the purpose of SPLWOW64 but I don't understand why a 64-bit application, such as Word, is printing using it. Is this an issue with Word or is this something that we can expect to see with more 64-bit applications?

I've seen this behavior on multiple machines as well as my own. I'm using Word version 16.0.11328.20437 on Windows 10 Professional 10.0.17763 Build 17763.

:)

Amura, Nov 22, 2019
  2. Sebautz Win User

Word 64bit wants to print under splwow64.exe

Then the question is: Why does Word 64bit need it to print to a 64bit printer driver on 64bit Windows machine?

The other Office apps like Excel and PowerPoint don't use splwow64.exe.

Actually, we do need the Print Spooler service.

Sebautz, Nov 22, 2019
  3. Word 64bit wants to print under splwow64.exe

Hi Sebautz,

We test in our side we cannot reproduce your issue. To narrow down your issue, please provide us some information below.

1.Could you please share with us detail step where did you check word 64bit use splwow64.exe, after print word 64bit document. please capture a screenshot and share with us steps you did.

2.Version of your Window operating system (Press the hotkey Window + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog, type
    winver and press Enter)

Best Regards,

Waqas Muhammad

Waqas Muhammad MSFT, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Sebautz Win User

Word 64bit wants to print under splwow64.exe

Hi,

1. I simply open a Word document -> then go to 'File' -> 'Print'

At this moment in the Task Manager I see process splwow64.exe popping up.

2. Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.615)

Thanks

Seb

Sebautz, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Word printing via SPLWOW64 - Similar Threads - Word printing via

2. Splwow64.exe – System Error when printing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Splwow64.exe – System Error when printing on Windows 10: While printing something on Windows 10 computer, if your system shows an error message saying splwow64.exe – System Error, you can fix it using this guide. As it stops users from printing documents or images, you need to fix this issue in order to continue using your regular...
  3. word printing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    word printing: Everytime i try to print it states my hp printer needs a code a access?? this has not happend before what has changed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-printing/a152769e-40ee-493b-a0ea-9714a250b7ae
  4. Issues with splwow64.exe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues with splwow64.exe: I am running an App based on ArcGis, V10. When I try to print any document over its own virtual printer, the dialog box of splwow64.exe goes background. I press Alt+Tab keys, Ctrl+Tab, I pray to the gods, but the result is the same, nothing to do. Only, I can access to the...
  5. Splwow64 and WMI Provider Host crashed - can't print

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Splwow64 and WMI Provider Host crashed - can't print: Hi - Thanks for your help! We have a PC running on Windows 10 and a HP PageWide Pro MFP477dw printer. We have been able to print on this printer for a long time then it stopped allowing this printer to be the default printer and would not print anything. While I was...
  6. Error: splwow64.exe - Bad Image, when trying to print

Error: splwow64.exe - Bad Image, when trying to print: I have an splwow64.ex - Bad Image error that pops up every time I attempt to print or really do anything on the computer. I cannot close the box and it will not let me print or even shut my computer down. Please help. ***Original title: splwow64.exe - Bad Image***...
  7. splwow64.exe - Bad Image

splwow64.exe - Bad Image: I have an splwow64.ex - Bad Image error that pops up every time I attempt to print or really do anything on the computer. I cannot close the box and it will not let me print or even shut my computer down. Please help....
  8. Word will not print

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word will not print: After the Feb. Windows update, Word will no longer print. I hit print and Word crashes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-will-not-print/45bb1ddc-01a0-4e79-bc1d-c6f85de3b3e0
  9. printing via wifi

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printing via wifi: How do I get m y Cannon MX470 series to print via wifi here at home? It worked before I moved. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/printing-via-wifi/8fefce4d-40b0-47fe-8f91-8efc3a5c5889
  10. printing in word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    printing in word: In win7,when printing I could hit enter and it would drop one line. In win10 hitting enter drops two lines. How can I get word (win10) to be like win7--drop one line at a time? Here in the forums hitting enter drops one line-----NICE 55713