Windows 10: Word - Protected View?

Discus and support Word - Protected View? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I got a ".doc" file from a friend. I can open it in MSWord (Office 365) but its in Protected View because of my settings? I have default settings. I... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by fireberd, Sep 2, 2019.

1. fireberd Win User

Word - Protected View?

I got a ".doc" file from a friend. I can open it in MSWord (Office 365) but its in Protected View because of my settings? I have default settings. I took ownership and that didn't help.

I also have Libre Office and was able to print it with Libre Office.

Here is what I get.

Word - Protected View? [​IMG]

:)

fireberd, Sep 2, 2019

2. How can I stop Excel and Word hanging when trying to open documents in Protected View

I have recently started encountering a problem with my Office 2016 installation on Windows 10 where any attempt to open Word or Excel documents in Protected View cause the application to hang indefinitely before the document is opened.

This happens with documents which I have received by e-mail or downloaded from the Internet.

I can copy these files to a folder and 'Unblock' them by editing the properties, or (as many, many other websites suggest) I could disable Protected View altogether.

However - Protected View is obviously there for a reason, so I'd rather resolve the problem than simply turn off the protection!

Chris Roberts, Sep 2, 2019
  3. Microsoft Word (Protected View) has stopped working.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

The problem is the restricted view that Office places on documents that it detects were downloaded from the Internet.

Follow the steps below to fix it.

• In the Office product, go to File – Options.
    • Next go to Trust Center and then tap or click the Trust Center Settings… button
    • Once on the Settings page for the Trust Center, go to
      Protected View
      and then uncheck (disable) the Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet option.
    best protect yourself, you should probably consider going through the process of disabling and re- enabling for each and every file you need to download and open from the Internet. And, only open those files that you deem trustworthy.

Hope this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Sep 2, 2019
  4. Word - Protected View?

Microsoft Word (Protected View) has stopped working.

I installed the 2 updates. MS Word cannot now open MS Word files sent via email attachments. Have tried multiple files from multiple senders. Can successfully open those same attachments on other machines not yet updated.

As usual, MS Word begins the process of opening those files in its Protected View since they are sent via the web. However, all I get is an error message stating "Microsoft Word (Protected View) has stopped working."

I have uninstalled one of the 2 updates, KB3163018, but no joy. Have not yet uninstalled KB3149135. Any word from other users yet about like problems?

zyzzyxsquared, Sep 2, 2019
Thema:

Word - Protected View?

1. Word - Protected View? - Similar Threads - Word Protected View

2. "Protected content can't be viewed on this device."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Protected content can't be viewed on this device.": Hello, I am trying to use my laptop windows 11 as a 2nd monitor for my pc windows 10. Each time I try to wirelessly connect, it gives me that message on my laptop. I have tried the firewall solutions, yet it didn't work. One problem could've been that I can't find the...
  3. "Protected content can't be viewed on this device."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Protected content can't be viewed on this device.": Hello, I am trying to use my laptop windows 11 as a 2nd monitor for my pc windows 10. Each time I try to wirelessly connect, it gives me that message on my laptop. I have tried the firewall solutions, yet it didn't work. One problem could've been that I can't find the...
  4. Word file-Date accessed and viewed

Word file-Date accessed and viewed: Can you tell me if there’s a way of viewing a log of when a word document has been opened and viewed? I know you can tell modification dates, but I am unsure if there is a way of viewing a log of date viewed/accessed or if you can just see that last date in which is was...
  5. Word file-Date accessed and viewed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word file-Date accessed and viewed: Can you tell me if there’s a way of viewing a log of when a word document has been opened and viewed? I know you can tell modification dates, but I am unsure if there is a way of viewing a log of date viewed/accessed or if you can just see that last date in which is was...
  6. Protection History view not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Protection History view not working: Does anyone have a problem when opening the Protection History pane from Settings? When I do this the window has nothing on it and none of the links work - can't even go back Home. Moving the window causes it to close. As far as I can recall this has been happening across...
  7. Office 365 Protected View

in Windows 10 Customization
    Office 365 Protected View: I have a NAS with mapped drives. Word etc opens them in protected view. How do I add share to a trusted sites? I want to leave protected mode on for internet sites. Can I turn off for intranet? For Win10 64 bit PC, not a server....
  8. Word 365 View Tab View

Word 365 View Tab View: I was working away on a Word Document (Office 365) and all of a sudden the screen appearance changed. I suspect I must have clicked on something to make it change, but I cannot figure out what. My document is "stuck" on multiple pages. I am unable to use many of the...
  9. Protected View Settings?

Protected View Settings?: When I create a Word document on one PC (saving it to my Network Attached Storage), then open it on a different PC, I get this protected view option. Here's a pic. [ATTACH] To disable this, there's a setting to uncheck. When I click on "Be careful-files from the internet...
  10. Viewing a Word Doc without Office

Viewing a Word Doc without Office: How can I view and possibly print a Word Doc in Google Docs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/viewing-a-word-doc-without-office/f6a6b4ab-7b9f-4023-b4c5-666fa5da885e