Windows 10: Word replacing curly quotes with straight ones not working

Discus and support Word replacing curly quotes with straight ones not working in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; This is for Windows version 1909, and Word version 2002. My wife runs, as far as I can tell, the same build of Word as I do - 1257.20242. But the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by asus2016, Mar 16, 2020.

1. asus2016 Win User

Word replacing curly quotes with straight ones not working

This is for Windows version 1909, and Word version 2002.

My wife runs, as far as I can tell, the same build of Word as I do - 1257.20242.

But the pretty basic Word process to replace curly quotes with smart ones isn't working on her machine and copy of office.

That process would of course be:

• File > options > proofing > autocorrect
    • Uncheck the straight quotes/smart quotes box
    • Click okay on the bottom
    • Pick replace from the right side of the ribbon
    • Enter " in both the find and replace boxes, then pick "replace all"
    • Repeat, but with ' in the find and replace boxes
    • All your smart quotes will now be straight quotes

Doing the above, the "replace" step comes back with nonzero number of replacements made (ten for example). But the quotes will still be curly ones, when she wants straight.

If she sends me a docx file she's having this problem on, I can easily fix it (straighten the quotes) on my machine/Word. But it won't work on hers.

I even tried replacing the quotes with a nonsense string (\\\\) and those changes stuck. As did replacing \\\\ back with quotes. But they were curly, not straight.

Other things tried, that didn't work:

• Signing out and then back into Word with her Microsoft account
    • Quitting all instances of Word and then picking the documents up again
    • Toggle the smart/curly box, make the replacements, toggle box again, make replacements

This can't be that hard. What am I missing?

- - - Updated - - -

Other interesting update.

I opened a file she emailed me, that had curly quotes on her machine. And it had straight quotes on mine. And I then changed the straights to curlies on mine, and they stuck, and back to straight and they stuck.

How can her document have the right kind of quotes on my machine, but wrong on hers?

:)

asus2016, Mar 16, 2020
  2. asus2016 Win User

This is for Windows version 1909, and Word version 2002.

My wife runs, as far as I can tell, the same build of Word as I do - 1257.20242.

But the pretty basic Word process to replace curly quotes with smart ones isn't working on her machine and copy of office.

That process would of course be:

• File > options > proofing > autocorrect
    • Uncheck the straight quotes/smart quotes box
    • Click okay on the bottom
    • Pick replace from the right side of the ribbon
    • Enter " in both the find and replace boxes, then pick "replace all"
    • Repeat, but with ' in the find and replace boxes
    • All your smart quotes will now be straight quotes

Doing the above, the "replace" step comes back with nonzero number of replacements made (ten for example). But the quotes will still be curly ones, when she wants straight.

If she sends me a docx file she's having this problem on, I can easily fix it (straighten the quotes) on my machine/Word. But it won't work on hers.

I even tried replacing the quotes with a nonsense string (\\\\) and those changes stuck. As did replacing \\\\ back with quotes. But they were curly, not straight.

Other things tried, that didn't work:

• Signing out and then back into Word with her Microsoft account
    • Quitting all instances of Word and then picking the documents up again
    • Toggle the smart/curly box, make the replacements, toggle box again, make replacements

This can't be that hard. What am I missing?

- - - Updated - - -

Other interesting update.

I opened a file she emailed me, that had curly quotes on her machine. And it had straight quotes on mine. And I then changed the straights to curlies on mine, and they stuck, and back to straight and they stuck.

How can her document have the right kind of quotes on my machine, but wrong on hers?

asus2016, Mar 16, 2020
  3. asus2016 Win User
    asus2016, Mar 16, 2020
  4. Word replacing curly quotes with straight ones not working

Caledon Ken, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Word replacing curly quotes with straight ones not working - Similar Threads - Word replacing curly

2. The Search is Not Showing Quote of the Day, Word of the Day etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Search is Not Showing Quote of the Day, Word of the Day etc.: I installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 and previously in the Search flyout it used to show pictures about what happened on that specific day and all that stuff. But now the right-hand side pane is empty and nothing is shown there. By clicking the three-dot menu it asks me to...
  3. The Search is Not Showing Quote of the Day, Word of the Day etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Search is Not Showing Quote of the Day, Word of the Day etc.: I installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 and previously in the Search flyout it used to show pictures about what happened on that specific day and all that stuff. But now the right-hand side pane is empty and nothing is shown there. By clicking the three-dot menu it asks me to...
  4. Getting « when using smart quotes in Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting « when using smart quotes in Word: Hi,I get « when I type in " using smart quotes in Word, but when smart quotes are off, or I'm using a different program, it's fine. How do I fix this?Please help.Regards,Al...
  5. Getting « when using smart quotes in Word

Getting « when using smart quotes in Word: Hi,I get « when I type in " using smart quotes in Word, but when smart quotes are off, or I'm using a different program, it's fine. How do I fix this?Please help.Regards,Al...
  6. Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Find and Replace, Word, with wildcards?: I'm trying to replace in a TXT files lines of the form: [email protected]com or [email protected] with @xyz.com or @xyz.org I can't seem to find the right combination of wildcards and other settings in Word 2013. Either nothing gets replaced, or I thousands of replacements...
  7. "Windows cannot find one of the files in this theme" annoying error

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Windows cannot find one of the files in this theme" annoying error: Dear All, Has anyone come across this highly annoying error? Once I am in Settings/Personalisation/Themes page, a few secs after I have entered "Themes" page, I get this annoying ringtone and the error "windows cannot find one of the files in this theme, do you still want to...
  8. "Your Phone" won't connect to phone after motherboard replacement

"Your Phone" won't connect to phone after motherboard replacement: I've had the Your Phone app running for the last few months on my Windows 10 Pro PC, connecting to my LG V20 phone (Android v8). Last week my motherboard failed, so I replaced it and restored my Windows setup to a new SSD while I was at it. Now the Your Phone app won't...
  9. Not sure if this is the right place - Smart (curly) quotes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not sure if this is the right place - Smart (curly) quotes: So, like I said I’m not sure this is the right place but I thought I’d start here. I’m connecting to a Windows 10 VM via Citrix on an iPad running iPad OS 13.1.1 and I occasionally find need to write short SQL statements. This is almost exclusively done inside of Salesforce...
  10. microsoft word replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft word replacement: Microsoft word deleted when Windows 10 reinstalled. How do I replace? do not need Office. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-word-replacement/f32b997c-4a11-4636-aaa5-71f31ca07644