Windows 10: Word will not open following MS update

Discus and support Word will not open following MS update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; While using my laptop Dell Inspiron 25 and Office 365 Family, the laptop speed using Word and internet slowed significantly. I have a fast ATT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hfindley, Sep 16, 2020.

1. hfindley Win User

Word will not open following MS update

While using my laptop Dell Inspiron 25 and Office 365 Family, the laptop speed using Word and internet slowed significantly. I have a fast ATT internet and am connected directly to Modem. Hoping to correct this slowdown, I did a restart, and received message "Getting Windows Ready, Do Not Turn off Computer. "

So I waited approx 27 mins for update to conclude and to re-access my files. Upon trying to re-open a Word file, the laptop appeared to freeze while loading Word 365. AFter waiting 5 mins for this to resolve, I decided to Restart computer again ! This took another 10 mins. Upon trying to open Word the second time , I received notice "Cannot open Word, Do You Want to Open in Safe Mode?"

By this time I've waited 45 mins to access my computer, and still cannot open Word!! This is UNACCEPTABLE!! I need my computer to work from home, and cannot afford to have these problems with MS updates. This is the second time I've received an MS update for Office 365 that required over 40 mins to complete.

Please help me understand the problem with the Office 365 updates!!

:)

hfindley, Sep 16, 2020

2. MS WORD

I have proceeded with your suggestion of selecting the word document saved in a path and tried to select it for right clicking but miserably failed. It has not allowed me to select the word document first and windows explorer hanged circling for sometime
    and came out of explorer itself. This issue may be something different I feel. Other MS docs like excel, notepad etc are opening correctly when I double click as usual and this word document only giving problem.

Please suggest some other workable solution.

Thanks,

Balakrishnan.

BalakrishnanVenkatraman, Sep 16, 2020
  3. MS WORD

Hi Balakrishnan,

Thank you for updating me about the concern.

I greatly apologize if It was not explain in detail on the site I have provided.

Please accept my sincere apology Balakrishnan.

One of the most common cause why Microsoft office file that won't open on windows 10 is because of incorrect file associations.

The troubleshooting steps to know if this is the cause of the issue is to manually select the correct program or application to open the File, we can do this by:

1. Going to the " File Explorer" , then choose the file (Microsoft Word doc.) you want to open, then right-click the file.

2.Select Open With

3. Then, select Microsoft Word from the list of options.

If the cause of the MS word file not opening in file explorer is incorrect file associations it should open the file.

However if it would still not open the file we then look for other troubleshooting steps to determine the cause of this concern.

Please update me about the outcome so that I can further assist you Balakrishnan.

Best regards,

Anthony De Jesus

Independent Advisor

Anthony1129, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Word will not open following MS update

microsoft word 2003

I have a lot of ms word files on my pc. But one of them showed me an error - Getting unknown error messages while opening (.doc) or (.docx) files. I don't know how to open my word file or repair microsoft word. Any suggestions, guys, please.

abandone15, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Word will not open following MS update

1. Word will not open following MS update - Similar Threads - Word open following

2. random MS Word opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random MS Word opening: I've got Win 10, and when I renewed it, MS Word opens a new blank doc at random times. Despite calling patient people in India, I can't get rid of this annoying habit. Does anyone have this experience, and a tip to control MS Word?...
  3. random MS Word opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    random MS Word opening: I've got Win 10, and when I renewed it, MS Word opens a new blank doc at random times. Despite calling patient people in India, I can't get rid of this annoying habit. Does anyone have this experience, and a tip to control MS Word?...
  4. random MS Word opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ms Word

Ms Word: When I open Ms Word then it automatically open in Chrome but I want to open it as an app so how can I do this....pls reply? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-word/49ff8dad-2dc2-4cf3-9cf0-3e8aa75b3e9d
  6. MS Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Word: I lost my Word files when my hard drive crashed last week Where can I get download for my new hard drive ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-word/1cfbe2cf-d742-4f22-8e33-f1ed07672b58
  7. Ms. Word keep open automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ms. Word keep open automatically: Hi, I updated my laptop with Windows 10 version 1903. Since then, Microsoft Word keep open automatically every time I turn on or restart my laptop. It is not on my Startup applications list and I already check the setting on the Word app (File>Option>untick 'Show the Start...
  8. MS Word won't open

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Word won't open: MS Word won't open any .doc or .docx files. It returns error messages as shown in the screen captures below. [img] [img] [img] 132927
  9. Error opening MS Word

Error opening MS Word: I've just upgraded from W7to W10 today and have done some tweaks to the system regarding all those privacy issues. Now I've installed Ms Office and when wanting to open Word, I was greeted with this [img] error screen. Why is that? How should I configure my system? This...
  10. MS Word opens with an error message

MS Word opens with an error message: I have a new Surface Pro 3 with MS Office 10 on it. This is a new machine (2 weeks old.) All Office programs launch properly except Word. When Word is launched (either from a desktop shortcut to the program or by clicking a Word doc) the program opens and immediately displays...