Windows 10: WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols

Discus and support WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you open a document in WordPad in Windows 10 and see a set of weird symbols aka garbage text, then it’s probably because of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Sep 25, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols

WinClub, Sep 25, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

word to wordpad

Right-click on the .doc, choose 'Open with...' and select Wordpad. If Wordpad opens it correctly, repeat the exercise, this time ticking the 'Always open with...' box. If Wordpad shows a jumble of weird text, then that particular .doc may well be a genuine Word document. You'll need software that can handle the Word format, either from Microsoft or one of the 'office equivalents' - LibreOffice (the one I would choose) or OpenOffice.

As you said...
    ...it may well be that they really are in Word format. Did you have Word (or its equivalent) on the machine you imported from?

Do you still have that machine? If so you could open the documents and save in a format that Wordpad understands - .rtf is a 'lowest common denominator' understood by most apps.

3. Wordpad

Hello Tatic,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

What exactly you mean when you say ‘deleted’, are you referring to the application which was showing in the Start menu or the application was uninstalled from your computer?

WordPad is a basic word processor that is included with almost all the versions of Microsoft Windows.

I would suggest you to follow below mentioned steps.

1. Click on Start menu and type ‘WordPad' in the taskbar search and click on the result. This will open WordPad.
    2. If you’re not able to open WordPad, Press
      Windows + R and type ‘Write’ and hit enter.
    3. You will WordPad application launching on the
      screen.
    4. Navigate to C:\windows\system32\ and look for a ‘write’ (File).
    5. You will see the application now.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes or No’.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, Sep 25, 2019
  4. WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols

wordpad notepad

hi

I went to use WordPad today but am unable to find it in apps. Scrolling down the list it doesn't list notepad or WordPad as an app. I tried to ask Cortana to open it by saying "open WordPad" all I get as a response is her say open what app. looking at the
    speechbox it seems to recognise what I am saying I couldn't get her to open any apps try calculator as well . She did suggest sites on how to open WordPad. In the end I went through file explorer and found a shortcut to WordPad but why isn't it listed as an
    app ?

Derek Hudson, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols

1. WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols - Similar Threads - WordPad showing text

2. Weird symbol show up while typing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird symbol show up while typing: When im typing and pressing spacebar+w accidentally i get a weird window like this ,this started in may 2023 and im trying to find a solution since then.please tell me the solution,additional info:Windows 11 home 22h2lenovo ideapad slim 3i 15inch core i5...
  3. Weird symbol show up while typing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird symbol show up while typing: When im typing and pressing spacebar+w accidentally i get a weird window like this ,this started in may 2023 and im trying to find a solution since then.please tell me the solution,additional info:Windows 11 home 22h2lenovo ideapad slim 3i 15inch core i5...
  4. time " : " show as weird symbol pls help thank

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    time " : " show as weird symbol pls help thank: THIS IS MY TIME'S " :" SHOW THE WEIRD SYMBOL https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-show-as-weird-symbol-pls-help-thank/c898a500-346b-4ddb-b6ca-b2559f3532e0
  5. Weird symbol

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird symbol: [ATTACH] I started seeing this symbol in Chrome very often today. This appears for a split second when I press Shift, Ctrl, do a click or double click, and in some other situations. This is displayed in the upper left corner. tf is it?...
  6. Is WordPad a text editor?

Is WordPad a text editor?: I have come across a contradiction that both notepad and WordPad are text editors. Is this true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-wordpad-a-text-editor/0bc10591-4049-4e25-8579-729aec2d3883
  7. Computers showing weird symbols.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computers showing weird symbols.: Split from this thread. Not sure what uptdate happend, but my 2 computers start showing this weird symbols on the numbers and it does affect all the documents. As well my key "t, y and backspace" stop working dont sure if was as a part of the uptdate or just coincidental....
  8. My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters

My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters: Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I...
  9. My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters

in Windows 10 Support
    My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters: Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I...
  10. WordPad essay text turned into nothing but symbols and question marks.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WordPad essay text turned into nothing but symbols and question marks.: So the other day I was working on an essay, that I've put months of work into, when my laptop froze and turned off on me by itself. When I got my laptop back on, I opened up the essay and it was now blank. While trying to figure out a solution I noticed when I tried to...