Windows 10: WordPad setup for Compatibility Mode

Discus and support WordPad setup for Compatibility Mode in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On my Win10 computer I use WordPad a lot especially since many people I help don't have a word document on their computers but I like to record what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MeAndMyComputer, Jan 19, 2018.

1. WordPad setup for Compatibility Mode

On my Win10 computer I use WordPad a lot especially since many people I help don't have a word document on their computers but I like to record what I do and show them.

I have Microsoft Home and Student 2016 originally installed 2/11/17 that I purchased through the Microsoft Store.

Now for my Worpad issue, here is a screenshot of the ribbon.

WordPad setup for Compatibility Mode [​IMG]

I thought that was normal but please compare it to my brother's WordPad ribbon.
    ===
    My brother just bought a new Windows 10 computer and also purchased Microsoft Home and Student 2016 this January 2018 at Staples. He had Staples set up his computer and his WordPad is in compatibility mode and the ribbon looks like the same ribbon his Word 2016 has.
    His WordPad ribbon.

In summary: Differences and questions are
    His Win10 computer is (Version 1703 (build 15063.850): mine is (Version 1709 (build 16299.192).
    --- This is for information in case it's good to know.

His Microsoft Home and Student 2016 (16.0.8730.2175): mine is (16.0.8730.2127).
    --- Do I need to upgrade to the version he has (16.0.8730.2175): if so how do I do that?
    --- The install date for mine in Control Panel changes and today it's 1/16/2018: is it because of Windows Updates?

His Wordpad uses Compatibility Mode, mine doesn't.
    --- How can I set up my Wordpad to use Compatibility Mode?
    --- I'm the one who set up my Wordpad just a couple of months ago: I don't recall if I had an option to include compatibility mode but maybe I missed it.
    His WordPad ribbon is full just like his Word 2016 is.
    --- I'd like my WordPad ribbon to be just like his.

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 19, 2018
  2. Erson Mag Win User

Everything Prints without margins after Win10 Anniversary Update

Let us investigate this for you.

WordPad is a very light version of Word. WordPad still goes through the HP printer drivers.

Try to install the printer drivers from the manufacturer's website in compatibility mode. Click this

link
    to learn how to do this.

Let us know the results.

Erson Mag, Jan 19, 2018
  3. WordPad

Is WordPad compatible with Word.

Peter the golfer, Jan 19, 2018
  4. WordPad setup for Compatibility Mode

Microsoft Word is a different program than Wordpad. Your first screenshot is of WordPad. Your second screenshot is of Word.

Since it looks like you want to run Word, make sure you are running the program called "Word 2016" and not "WordPad."

PolarNettles, Jan 19, 2018
  5. Good catch. The 2nd screenshot is an rtf document and that is why I thought it was WordPad.
    --- Does that mean I can save a Word document as an rtf document?

Also come to think of it, my brothers computer didn't have WordPad in use.
    I had pasted my WordPad document on his computer and it came out looking like that screenshot.
    Sounds strange but it sure looked good to me.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 19, 2018
  6. Yes, Word can save as .rtf. But you might lose some formatting when you save a Word doc (.doc/.docx) as an .rtf file.

Wordpad can also open/save .rtf and .docx so the file type is not a good way to determine which program you're running.

PolarNettles, Jan 19, 2018
  7. I understand, thank you very much. The main reason I like to use WordPad even though it doesn't have all of the capabilities as Word is because I volunteer at our Senior Center and WordPad is a good strategy for me for most of the people I help.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

WordPad setup for Compatibility Mode

1. WordPad setup for Compatibility Mode - Similar Threads - WordPad setup Compatibility

2. Compatibility mode removed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatibility mode removed: I download fallout 3 from steam but it crashed after I hit new game I read that the compatibility mode would help but it has been removed from windows 11 not making it easy to play certain games I tried the fallout games and they same to work perfectly the mind boggles why...
  3. windows compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows compatibility mode: Random steam games will crash at startup and are unable to be played. When I went to compatibility mode, it only gives the option to run it up to windows 8. I have tried running it with both compatibility mode on and off and nothing helps....
  4. windows compatibility mode

windows compatibility mode: Random steam games will crash at startup and are unable to be played. When I went to compatibility mode, it only gives the option to run it up to windows 8. I have tried running it with both compatibility mode on and off and nothing helps....
  5. Visio in compatibility mode...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Visio in compatibility mode...: How can I get rid of the compatibility mode...? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/visio-in-compatibility-mode/abf65fdf-6ae9-4e84-b640-abd62d378e14
  6. compatability mode

compatability mode: I am trying to get Winamp to work but I keep getting a popup thaat says winamp is running in compatability mode. however, when I right click on the winamp icon, select properties, and select the compatability tab the "run in compatability box is not checked". I desperately...
  7. Compatibility mode for W10

Compatibility mode for W10: I have Windows 10 64bit. Is there a way to switch a bat file to compatibility mode? The only options I see in the bat properties are: General - Security - Details - Previous Versions....
  8. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I keep getting a window popup saying this program started in compatibility mode ...where is it and how do I turn it off? 14680
  9. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I'm doing some research on an old application that I'm taking care of. As of Windows 8, it works if the Windows compatibility mode is se to "Windows 7" and I confirmed it also works if I set the compatibility mode on Windows 10. That problem I'm facing is that, I need to...
  10. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: Hi I have had programs in the past that I love to either use or games to play even some older MS games and they refuse to load on new operating systems. Why is it when I try and run the program in Compatibility mode for say XP it refuses to run the program. I don't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. word & wordpad compatability

2. wordpad compatibility mode