Windows 10: Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document

Discus and support Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead of as a WordPad document [img] [img] I'm setting up a new Dell Inspiron 15 (x64) laptop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MeAndMyComputer, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document

Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead of as a WordPad document

Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document [​IMG]

I'm setting up a new Dell Inspiron 15 (x64) laptop. Windows 10 Home (x64). And want to have WordPad to open as a WordPad document.
    --- The top of the document shows Word (Unlicensed product)
    --- The user does not want to install Microsoft Office 2016.

Is it possible to have WordPad open as WordPad in this situation?

I have 2 Windows 10 computers that were upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without any Microsoft Office or a Microsoft account on either one of them.
    --- I use WordPad on them and I don't recall having problems installing & using WordPad.
    --- Is the above issue because modern Windows 10 systems require Word 2016 in order to use WordPad which in turn would require a Microsoft account?

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 30, 2018

2. Convert Note Pad Document to Windows 10 document

If you want to open a Notepad text file in Word or WordPad, launch either Word or WordPad then open the text file, then save it as a Word document or RTF file.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Nyltje Win User
    How to change the order for search results?

When I search for example 'Word' I get as first 'Wordpad' and under 'Wordpad' there is 'Word 2016', I want to use Word 2016 and not wordpad. For fast opening I press start on my keyboard, typ in 'word' and hit enter. But now it's opening Wordpad and for
    Word 2016 I have to hit the arrow down key.
    I have this problem with many other programs.

Image of the problem: (it's in Dutch)

Question: How to change the order for search results?

Nyltje, Jan 30, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document

Right click an .rtf file and make the following changes:

Edwin, Jan 31, 2018
  5. If you don't plan on buying Office then I would just uninstall it so as to avoid confusion later. The trial version was pre-installed by Dell but is in no way required to be there.

PolarNettles, Jan 31, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    As a slight aside, Wordpad has been included with every version of Windows since Windows 95. There is no need to install it, it is unconnected to Word, Office or whether you use a Microsoft account - it is just there as part of what comes with the operating system. Like Notepad.

I'd go with the comment above and uninstall Office (which contains Word but not Wordpad) if you don't want it. You might still have to reset default program for .rtf files as Edwin mentioned.

Uninstalling Office isn't easy - you should check this Microsoft site Uninstall Office from a PC - Office Support. Choose your version (2016) and then download their "easy fix" uninstaller tool. That is the easiest way to get rid of it.

7. I've been using WordPad since Windows 7 but I don't recall seeing what I've seen on this computer. On researching what I saw I found a couple of websites that showed how to install WordPad from the Microsoft Store so I thought maybe there is something new on today's modern computers but I sought help here instead of following any of those websites. When I help someone on their computer I use WordPad to record what was done so the user can know what was done including what they refused to follow through. For example, in Windows 10 I want to create a USB Recovery drive and also recommend creating system image backups but that usually doesn't happen. Thanks everyone for your answers.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 31, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

Wordpad.exe is where it always was - "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe". You get it automatically when you install any version of Windows.

There is a app in the Microsoft Store called WordPad but that is made by a company called Quabber not Microsoft and is something completely different. I've no idea if it is good or not.

9. There was something I didn't like about when I saw that, don't know why, but I was trying to use the naturally installed WordPad already, and I'm glad I came here to get the right information.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document - Similar Threads - Wordpad wants open

2. WordPad documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WordPad documents: Where do I find saved documents in WordPad? Moved from: Microsoft Education/ Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wordpad-documents/abb90273-51b5-4348-bf14-b9e8f14627b2
  3. Wordpad/Microsoft Word Documents

Wordpad/Microsoft Word Documents: I have recently updated my windows 10 and I tried to open Wordpad, I get a popup saying "Unable to create new document" And when I look under the Wordpad arrows for my saved documents the icon is missing and if I try to open one it says "The item selected is unavailable. It...
  4. Opening Wordpad document in Word

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Opening Wordpad document in Word: Hi team. What would happen if I wrote a text in Wordpad and then opened it in Word? Would it mess up everything? Also, does anyone know whether a free Word Programme is included in Windows? I was going to pay to renew my subscription, but realised I already have access to...
  5. Wordpad documents being saved to Word

Wordpad documents being saved to Word: Whenever I save a document in Wordpad, it gets saved to Word. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wordpad-documents-being-saved-to-word/b382d304-cf64-43db-9d0b-11d89bfa27e9"
  6. WORD documents showing up as WordPad

in Windows 10 Customization
    WORD documents showing up as WordPad: I am opening Word Documents and they are coming up as WordPad which I don't want. How do I bring them up as WORD and save them as WORD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-documents-showing-up-as-wordpad/1e6bba33-4e2b-4672-898f-b45f78324381
  7. Saving files to word instead of wordpad

Saving files to word instead of wordpad: How do I save files in Word format instead of wordpad? I've tried to change the default settings in apps but can't find anything that would change wordpad to word....
  8. Word documents changed to wordpad

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Word documents changed to wordpad: I just did a system update and now my word documents have been changed to wordpad. Why, on earth did this happen and how do I reverse this without having to change every file independently?...
  9. word - wordpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    word - wordpad: People send me email attachments in word and they only open in wordpad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-wordpad/ccb02627-34b5-4a40-858f-16b983a7756e
  10. word documents saved as wordpad documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    word documents saved as wordpad documents: I am using Word 2013 on my laptop. Windows 8 was operating system. Recently upgraded to Windows 10. When I save Word documents now, they are saved as Wordpad documents. (.xml files) Wordpad does not recommend some of the Word formatting and alters the documents. How do I...