Windows 10: Work or school account can't be removed from the device

Discus and support Work or school account can't be removed from the device in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've got a "work or school" account to which I no longer have access. I keep receiving notifications from Windows that say that "it needs to be fixed".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Vladimir_Tag, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Work or school account can't be removed from the device

I've got a "work or school" account to which I no longer have access. I keep receiving notifications from Windows that say that "it needs to be fixed". So I'm trying to remove it doing this:

1. Go to settings.

2. Click "Accounts".

3. Click "Access work or school" on the left side.

4. Click on the account I want to remove and press "Disconnect".

5. Windows gives me "Are you sure ... " prompt and I say "Yes".

6. Then I see progress indicator for 2-3 seconds and after that everything becomes just like it was on the step 3. So clicking "Disconnect" does nothing for me.

I no longer have access to that account. What can I do to remove it completely from my computer?

:)

Vladimir_Tag, Mar 1, 2020
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Deactivated work or school account can't be removed

Hello

Thank you for participating in the Microsoft Community, My name is Miguel T. I'm an independent Advisor

Have you tried this?

1. From the Windows 10 Search bar, Type "Settings" and hit Enter.

2. Select "Accounts"> go to "Access work or School" disconnect/remove the School email address.

Miguelonky, Mar 1, 2020
  4. Work or school account can't be removed from the device

Can't remove a Work or School account from Windows 10

This scenario occurs when you sign in with a personal Microsoft Account, and then add a Work or School organisational (Office 365) account.

The aim is to remove a Work or School Account from the PC, so that a different Work or School account can be used.

You should be signing in with a Personal Microsoft Account, and the PC should not be on a domain to reproduce this.

Steps to repro

1. Create a login on the PC using your Personal Microsoft Account

2. Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school

3. Click "Connect"

4. Enter the details for your Work or School Organisational Account (NOT another Personal MSA)

This will then pull down the policy etc. and link the account to Windows. Seems to work fine, but then if you want to remove the account it is impossible. Try this:

1. Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school

2. Click on the Organisational account you added previously

3. Click on "Disconnect"

4. A prompt will appear asking if you are sure

5. Click Yes

6. A further prompt will appear asking you to disconnect from the organisation

7. Click Disconnect

8. A yellow error message says "This PC isn't joined to a domain"

This does not appear to be the correct behaviour - It should be possible to remove the account here. The message is technically correct...The device is not on a domain, but this should not stop the account being removed.

What I am trying to do, is disconnect one account and add a different one. Adding two Work or School accounts does not seem to work, so removing the old one first is the only option but this is impossible due to the above mentioned error.

Anybody know how to get around this without wiping the whole device?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet / PC

Danieltharris, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

Work or school account can't be removed from the device

1. Work or school account can't be removed from the device - Similar Threads - school account can't

2. How to remove a work or school account from my device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a work or school account from my device?: I've tried multiple solutions but none have worked.I had a friend use my laptop and they put their account in, this was long ago and they've left the organization so now I'm trying to remove the account but nothing seems to be working.There is a 'remove' button under account...
  3. How to remove a work or school account from my device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove a work or school account from my device?: I've tried multiple solutions but none have worked.I had a friend use my laptop and they put their account in, this was long ago and they've left the organization so now I'm trying to remove the account but nothing seems to be working.There is a 'remove' button under account...
  4. Can't remove device from school account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove device from school account: I've made sure that I've never selected "Allow Organization to Manage Your Device" when I've done sign ins, yet I now see the account on my personal laptop, there is no option to remove the device from the **** account portal. What the **** am I supposed to do? I never...
  5. Can't remove device from school account

Can't remove device from school account: I've made sure that I've never selected "Allow Organization to Manage Your Device" when I've done sign ins, yet I now see the account on my personal laptop, there is no option to remove the device from the **** account portal. What the **** am I supposed to do? I never...
  6. Can't remove "work or school" account on Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove "work or school" account on Win11: Greetings everyone,I am a subscriber of Office 365 Home and on one of my machines, I made the mistake of logging in using "work or school account" as opposed to my personal account. This has now left footprints of the two accounts on my Windows machine and even though I am...
  7. Can't remove "work or school" account on Win11

Can't remove "work or school" account on Win11: Greetings everyone,I am a subscriber of Office 365 Home and on one of my machines, I made the mistake of logging in using "work or school account" as opposed to my personal account. This has now left footprints of the two accounts on my Windows machine and even though I am...
  8. Can't remove school account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove school account: I recently changed the password for my school email, so Calendar freaked out. I decided I don't actually need this account connected to Windows anymore, so I went to go remove it. So, I went to Settings > Accounts > Email & accounts, and it just spun forever:Then I discovered...
  9. Work or school account can't be removed from the device 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Work or school account can't be removed from the device 2: I have the same problem and there is still no solution. Original thread is locked for no reason.8<-----------------I've got a "work or school" account to which I no longer have access. I keep receiving notifications from Windows that say that "it needs to be fixed". So I'm...
  10. Deactivated work or school account can't be removed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deactivated work or school account can't be removed: As you can see on the screenshot below, I'm signed in to two different Microsoft accounts on Windows 10. The first one is my personal account which I use for basically everything. The second one is my school account. I've signed in to the school account because it came with a...