Windows 10: Workaround For A Previously Known Windows Sleep Bug Now Also Bugged

Discus and support Workaround For A Previously Known Windows Sleep Bug Now Also Bugged in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; There has been a bug in Windows sleep that has existed in both Windows 10 and in previous versions. When Windows wakes from sleep, on some machines it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TimC., Jun 3, 2019.

1. TimC. Win User

Workaround For A Previously Known Windows Sleep Bug Now Also Bugged

There has been a bug in Windows sleep that has existed in both Windows 10 and in previous versions. When Windows wakes from sleep, on some machines it sees the wake event as a remote wakeup event. The result is that the normal power settings are completely ignored, and a specific registry settings overrides the sleep timer.

This link describes the problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-pro-goes-to-sleep-after-60-seconds-of/b1a32492-f9cc-4db9-ad70-987af074fa08?msgId=e37ac74a-6c29-4f1d-82af-ad837dadc371&tab=question&status=AllReplies&page=5

Note that this link is from all the way back in 2012 under Windows 8. However, the same bug still exists in Windows 10. EVERY time Windows 10 has a major update, these registry settings are set back to the default of 120 seconds (2 minutes). The workaround is to use regedit to change the corresponding registry keys to some larger number.

The registry keys are located at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0\DefaultPowerSchemeValues

As of update 1809 for Windows 10, this workaround no longer works. After waking from sleep, at least one computer that I own goes to sleep after 2 minutes no matter what the power settings say. This registry setting no longer fixes it.

My guess is that another registry setting needs to be edited. Anyone have an idea how Microsoft may have broken this again?

:)

TimC., Jun 3, 2019
  2. qubit Win User

Hardware Bug in AMD CPU Family

Yeah, that goes with what I said. Basically, the CPUs are pretty bug-free in all the usual operations they do, leaving more obscure code sequences with errors in them, which don't get used very often. That and the workarounds that developers use for known ensures that the systems keep running ok. Occasionally, bad errors like the Phenom TLB bug crop up, which put a kink in a CPU.

qubit, Jun 3, 2019
  3. Hardware Bug in AMD CPU Family

both intel and AMD keep updated lists of known faults for their cpus, its been posted on here before im sure, each cpu seems to have a massive list of known bugs and errors but they chunder away, odd isnt it*Roll Eyes Workaround For A Previously Known Windows Sleep Bug Now Also Bugged :rolleyes:

theoneandonlymrk, Jun 3, 2019
  4. may8000 Win User

Known bug list for Win10 IoT

Hello,

We have decided to make use of Win 10 IoT as the OS for one of the medical device. As one of the requirement of the including 3rd SW into our product, I need the support from you on the known bug list to make the impact analysis of their impact to our product.
    The version used in our product is windows 10.0.10240. Please tell me where to find the konwn bug list after 10240 build. Much appreciation in advance!

may8000, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Workaround For A Previously Known Windows Sleep Bug Now Also Bugged - Similar Threads - Workaround Previously Known

2. Windows 11 file transfer bug, possible workaround?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file transfer bug, possible workaround?: Microsoft broke their kernel on Oct. 2nd 2022 for Windows 11, 10 was not effected. It reduced the file transfer speeds by up to 70%. So move a file before and I got up to 1 gig a sec speed. Now 250-450meg.If I add a 25 gig card to my PC, connect to a 25 gig switch that is...
  3. Windows 11 file transfer bug, possible workaround?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file transfer bug, possible workaround?: Microsoft broke their kernel on Oct. 2nd 2022 for Windows 11, 10 was not effected. It reduced the file transfer speeds by up to 70%. So move a file before and I got up to 1 gig a sec speed. Now 250-450meg.If I add a 25 gig card to my PC, connect to a 25 gig switch that is...
  4. How to workaround bug switching windows between monitors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to workaround bug switching windows between monitors?: Moving windows between monitors Special + Shift + L/R arrow does not function correctly.Moved window ends up partially on each monitorResolution in destination monitor is completely offNote: occurs when window starts sized as small as possible - i.e. fits dimensions of both...
  5. How to workaround bug switching windows between monitors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to workaround bug switching windows between monitors?: Moving windows between monitors Special + Shift + L/R arrow does not function correctly.Moved window ends up partially on each monitorResolution in destination monitor is completely offNote: occurs when window starts sized as small as possible - i.e. fits dimensions of both...
  6. Is this a known Search UI bug?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this a known Search UI bug?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/fuu_dev [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6565w/is_this_a_known_search_ui_bug/
  7. Any Workaround/Fix for Connectivity Bug?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any Workaround/Fix for Connectivity Bug?: I installed the latest updates for Windows 10. Afterwards, I immediately noticed that my HP Desktop wasn't connecting to my home wireless network automatically. I read on Google that there is a Connectivity Bug affecting users who have applied the latest updates. I don't...
  8. Any Workaround/Fix for Connectivity Bug?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any Workaround/Fix for Connectivity Bug?: I installed the latest updates for Windows 10. Afterwards, I immediately noticed that my HP Desktop wasn't connecting to my home wireless network automatically. I read on Google that there is a Connectivity Bug affecting users who have applied the latest updates. I don't...
  9. Workaround For "Unattended Wakeup" Sleep Timeout Bug Now Also Bugged

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Workaround For "Unattended Wakeup" Sleep Timeout Bug Now Also Bugged: There has been a bug in Windows sleep that has existed in both Windows 10 and in previous versions. When Windows wakes from sleep, on some machines it sees the wake event as a remote wakeup event. The result is that the normal power settings are completely ignored, and a...
  10. Bugs from previous computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bugs from previous computer: I bought a new computer with what I thought was the best antivirus I could get. I had a double check in system and a unknown person was still able to get in and change my setting along with adding a keylogger. I bought 2 more computers and got rid of the computer with XP...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. workaround for known windows sleep problem