Windows 10: Workaround For "Unattended Wakeup" Sleep Timeout Bug Now Also Bugged

Discus and support Workaround For "Unattended Wakeup" Sleep Timeout Bug Now Also Bugged in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; There has been a bug in Windows sleep that has existed in both Windows 10 and in previous versions. When Windows wakes from sleep, on some machines it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TimC., Jun 3, 2019.

1. TimC. Win User

Workaround For "Unattended Wakeup" Sleep Timeout Bug Now Also Bugged

There has been a bug in Windows sleep that has existed in both Windows 10 and in previous versions. When Windows wakes from sleep, on some machines it sees the wake event as a remote wakeup event. The result is that the normal power settings are completely ignored, and a specific registry settings overrides the sleep timer.

This link describes the problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-pro-goes-to-sleep-after-60-seconds-of/b1a32492-f9cc-4db9-ad70-987af074fa08?msgId=e37ac74a-6c29-4f1d-82af-ad837dadc371&tab=question&status=AllReplies&page=5

Note that this link is from all the way back in 2012 under Windows 8. However, the same bug still exists in Windows 10. EVERY time Windows 10 has a major update, these registry settings are set back to the default of 120 seconds (2 minutes). The workaround is to use regedit to change the corresponding registry keys to some larger number.

The registry keys are located at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0\DefaultPowerSchemeValues

As of update 1809 for Windows 10, this workaround no longer works. After waking from sleep, at least one computer that I own goes to sleep after 2 minutes no matter what the power settings say. This registry setting no longer fixes it.

My guess is that another registry setting needs to be edited. Anyone have an idea how Microsoft may have broken this again?

:)

TimC., Jun 3, 2019

2. unattended sleep timeout

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will assist you with this.

Specifies the duration of inactivity before the system automatically enters sleep after waking from sleep in an unattended state.

For example, if the system wakes from sleep because of a timed event or a wake on LAN (WoL) event, the sleep unattended idle timeout value will be used instead of the

sleep idle timeout
    value.

Hope the information was helpful.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Jun 3, 2019
  3. unattended sleep timeout

I have a question Mr. Deepak. Why did MS remove the system unattended sleep timeout in Windows 10? Many users including myself are having issues where our PC's would go to sleep after only a few minutes. This after setting the sleep settings to much longer
    then that. In my case, after rebooting, the PC would go to sleep after 30 minutes which is what I specified. However, upon wakening the PC it would start to sleep after 3 minutes. This behavior could only be changed after a reboot and then the cycle above
    would repeat.

This site provided the only solution to my problem. He provided a reg file to put back the unattended sleep timeout in the advanced power settings. Once there is showed 2 minutes timeout. I set it to match my regular power and sleep settings for 30 minutes.
    So something else is going very wrong with windows 10 to ignore the regular power and sleep setting and then to default to the unattended sleep timeout which is hidden and not even shown in the advanced power settings. So that is a setup for frustration.
    There is plenty of forums and users that are complaining about the issue. Other then this, my PC has no issues. Device manager is clean with no conflicts. No crashing, blue screens for over a month of use.

Power Options - Add "System unattended sleep timeout" - Windows 7 Help Forums

The above link is the only fix for users on the dreaded pc going to sleep every two minutes regardless of system sleep setting.

HiDesertWA, Jun 3, 2019
  4. kylecold Win User

unattended sleep timeout

what is unattended sleep timeout? i just want a simple definition. nothing more please. its not causing a problem, i just like to know what stuff does.

kylecold, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Workaround For "Unattended Wakeup" Sleep Timeout Bug Now Also Bugged - Similar Threads - Workaround Unattended Wakeup

2. Windows 11 file transfer bug, possible workaround?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file transfer bug, possible workaround?: Microsoft broke their kernel on Oct. 2nd 2022 for Windows 11, 10 was not effected. It reduced the file transfer speeds by up to 70%. So move a file before and I got up to 1 gig a sec speed. Now 250-450meg.If I add a 25 gig card to my PC, connect to a 25 gig switch that is...
  3. How to workaround bug switching windows between monitors?

How to workaround bug switching windows between monitors?: Moving windows between monitors Special + Shift + L/R arrow does not function correctly.Moved window ends up partially on each monitorResolution in destination monitor is completely offNote: occurs when window starts sized as small as possible - i.e. fits dimensions of both...
  4. Any Workaround/Fix for Connectivity Bug?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any Workaround/Fix for Connectivity Bug?: I installed the latest updates for Windows 10. Afterwards, I immediately noticed that my HP Desktop wasn't connecting to my home wireless network automatically. I read on Google that there is a Connectivity Bug affecting users who have applied the latest updates. I don't...
  5. Any Workaround/Fix for Connectivity Bug?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any Workaround/Fix for Connectivity Bug?: I installed the latest updates for Windows 10. Afterwards, I immediately noticed that my HP Desktop wasn't connecting to my home wireless network automatically. I read on Google that there is a Connectivity Bug affecting users who have applied the latest updates. I don't...
  6. Workaround For A Previously Known Windows Sleep Bug Now Also Bugged

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Workaround For A Previously Known Windows Sleep Bug Now Also Bugged: There has been a bug in Windows sleep that has existed in both Windows 10 and in previous versions. When Windows wakes from sleep, on some machines it sees the wake event as a remote wakeup event. The result is that the normal power settings are completely ignored, and a...
  7. Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 Display Bug and workaround

Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 Display Bug and workaround: The latest release of Adobe Lightroom CC 7.2 (Released a few days ago), contains an issue with rendering previews of large files. The file renders at the "Fit" ( resolution but when you select a zoomed view especially 1:1 the image partly shows whilst showing loading but...
  8. Different Bug Check codes in ntoskrnl.exe only after wakeup from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Different Bug Check codes in ntoskrnl.exe only after wakeup from sleep: Disclaimer: I'm starting this crosspost to the microsoft forums since there where only 16 views in 5 days and only one reply and I've come to some conclusion. I'm curios if thats reasonably and maybe here is someone around with more Windows debugging experience than me who...
  9. Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10: How to: Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10 How to Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10 The System unattended sleep timeout power setting is the idle timeout before the system returns to a low power sleep state after waking unattended....
  10. Add System unattended sleep timeout to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add System unattended sleep timeout to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add System unattended sleep timeout to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "System unattended sleep timeout" from Power Options in Windows The System unattended sleep timeout power setting is the idle timeout before the system returns to a low power...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Sleep unattended idle timeout not working

2. unattended wake up time

3. system unattended sleep timeout bug