Windows 10: Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

Discus and support Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Earlier this week, security researchers discovered a vulnerability in recent versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system that allows attackers to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 22, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

Earlier this week, security researchers discovered a vulnerability in recent versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system that allows attackers to run code with system privileges if exploited successfully.

Overly permissive Access Control Lists (ACLs) on some system files, including the Security Accounts Manager (SAM) database, are causing the issue.

An article on CERT provides additional information. According to it, the BUILTIN/Users group is given RX permission (Read Execute) to files in %windir%\system32\config.

If Volume Shadow Copies (VSS) are available on the system drive, unprivileged users may exploit the vulnerability for attacks that may include running programs, deleting data, creating new accounts, extracting account password hashes, obtain DPAPI computer keys, and more.

According to CERT, VSS shadow copies are created automatically on system drives with 128 Gigabytes or more storage space when Windows updates or MSI files are installed.

Administrators may run vssadmin list shadows from an elevated command prompt to check if shadow copies are available.

Microsoft acknowledged the issue in CVE-2021-36934, rated the severity of the vulnerability as important, the second highest severity rating, and confirmed that Windows 10 version 1809, 1909, 2004, 20H2 and 21H1, Windows 11, and Windows Server installations are affected by the vulnerability.

Test if your system may be affected by HiveNightmare

Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability sam-vulnerable-check.png

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-X to display the "secret" menu on the machine.
    2. Select Windows PowerShell (admin).
    3. Run the following command: if ((get-acl C:\windows\system32\config\sam).Access | ? IdentityReference -match 'BUILTIN\\Users' | select -expandproperty filesystemrights | select-string 'Read'){write-host "SAM maybe VULN" }else { write-host "SAM NOT vuln"}

If "Sam maybe VULN" is returned, the system is affected by the vulnerability (via Twitter user Dray Agha)

Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability windows-hivenightmare-vulnerability.png

Here is a second option to check if the system is vulnerable to potential attacks:

1. Select Start.
    2. Type cmd
    3. Select Command Prompt.
    4. Run icacls %windir%\system32\config\sam

A vulnerable system includes the line BUILTIN\UsersWorkaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability :(I)(RX) in the output. Non-vulnerable system will display an "access is denied" message.

Workaround for the HiveNightmare security issue

Microsoft published a workaround on its website to protect devices against potential exploits.

Administrators may enable ACL inheritance for files in %windir%\system32\config according to Microsoft.

1. Select Start
    2. Type cmd.
    3. Pick Run as administrator.
    4. Confirm the UAC prompt.
    5. Run icacls %windir%\system32\config\*.* /inheritance:e
    6. vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /Quiet
    7. vssadmin list shadows

Command 5 enables ACL interheritance. Command 6 deletes shadow copies that exist and Command 7 verifies that all shadow copies have been deleted.

Now You: is your system affected?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 22, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

CVE-2021-36934 Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

Executive Summary

An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists because of overly permissive Access Control Lists (ACLs) on multiple system files, including the Security Accounts Manager (SAM) database. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could run arbitrary code with SYSTEM privileges. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.

An attacker must have the ability to execute code on a victim system to exploit this vulnerability.

We will update this CVE with mitigations and workarounds as our investigation progresses.

FAQ

No versions of Windows are listed in the Security Updates table. Are all versions vulnerable?

So far, we can confirm that this issue affects Windows 10 version 1809 and newer client operating systems. We will update this CVE as we continue our investigation. If you wish to be notified when updates are released, we recommend that you register for the security notifications mailer to be alerted of content changes to this CVE. See Microsoft Technical Security Notifications.

Read more: https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-gu...CVE-2021-36934

Brink, Jul 22, 2021
  3. Domain Controllers Windows update to address Netlogon Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

Hi,

We are planning to update Domain Controllers runing Windows server 2012 R2 to address Netlogon Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability.

For this we are installing following updates:

1. KB4566425 (pre-requisite)

2. KB4571723 (Security update only)

With reference to roll back these updates what are our options?, if someone can please suggest exact steps for roll back or uninstalling the updates.

Also, if anyone can please share their past experiences on installing these updates on Domain Controllers (preparations, issues, back-ups etc.)

Best Regards,

Ali

Ali Mujahid, Jul 22, 2021
  4. Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

Scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges can't access stored Windows credentials

It seems that after Creators update scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges ('run with highest privileges' option) can't access stored Windows credentials. Is that a bug or an intentional change and is there a recommended workaround?

Here's one way to reproduce the behaviour:

• Start Credential Manger and add some Windows share credentials.
    • In a console window type 'cmdkey /list', which should list the added credentials
    • Create a task in a task manager:
      • Trigger: on user logon
      • Action: run cmd.exe
      • Tick the 'run with highest privileges' option
    • Reboot the machine and log in
    • In the console window (let's call it 'console 1') opened from the scheduled task type 'cmdkey /list'. This most likely won't display the credentials added in step 1 and properly listed in step 2. ->
      This looks like a bug
    • Now, without closing 'console 1' open another console window as an administrator (let's call it 'console 2') and type 'cmdkey /list'. This will properly list credentials added in step 1.
    • Switch to 'console 1' and type 'cmdkey /list' again. This time the credentials are listed properly, unlike in step 5. It looks like an access to Windows credentials was somehow 'unlocked' by step 6.

MarcinMrowiec, Jul 22, 2021
Thema:

Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

1. Workaround for Windows 10 and 11 HiveNightmare Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability - Similar Threads - Workaround HiveNightmare Elevation

2. Windows 10 20H2 vulnerability "admin privileges " ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 20H2 vulnerability "admin privileges " ?: I cant use Microsoft`s workaround fix, when does the fix patch been released from the Microsoft secuity team?Windows 10 vulnerability lets anyone get administrator privileges xda-developers.comMicrosoft acknowledges Windows 11 and Windows 10 admin privileges vulnerability...
  3. Microsoft Windows Defender Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability CVE-2020-1163 & CVE-2020-1170

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Windows Defender Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability CVE-2020-1163 & CVE-2020-1170: how do i update Microsoft Windows Defender on windows 2016 core server? Path : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.1911.3-0\ Installed version : 4.18.1911.3 Fixed version : 4.18.2005.1...
  4. Windows Privilege Elevation Management

Windows Privilege Elevation Management: Hello, I am configuring our privilege manager for our workstations at my business. I am having a debate on whether I want to allow ANYTHING to elevate from "trusted" directories i.e. Program Files and Windows directories that are owned by elevated users or make dozens of...
  5. Elevated Privilege

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Elevated Privilege: All-- It there a way to permanenly mark an executable (EXE, DLL, BAT, etc) to always run witth elevated privileges? My nightly file cleanup BAT launches BCDEdit (to reboot in Safe Mode) which requires elevated status. Thanks in advance for any help/direction, Randy Reist,...
  6. Elevated Privilege

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Elevated Privilege: All-- It there a way to permanenly mark an executable (EXE, DLL, BAT, etc) to always run witth elevated privileges? My nightly file cleanup BAT launches BCDEdit (to reboot in Safe Mode) which requires elevated status. Thanks in advance for any help/direction, Randy Reist,...
  7. CVE-2019-1214 Windows CLFS Driver Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    CVE-2019-1214 Windows CLFS Driver Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability: MITRE CVE-2019-1214 An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists when the Windows Common Log File System (CLFS) driver improperly handles objects in memory. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could run processes in an elevated context. To exploit...
  8. CVE-2019-1292 | Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    CVE-2019-1292 | Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability: MITRE CVE-2019-1292 An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in Microsoft Windows when Windows fails to properly handle certain symbolic links. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could potentially set certain items to run at a higher level and...
  9. CVE-2019-1215 | Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    CVE-2019-1215 | Windows Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability: MITRE CVE-2019-1215 An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in the way that ws2ifsl.sys (Winsock) handles objects in memory. An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could execute code with elevated privileges. To exploit the vulnerability, a locally...
  10. Installing with Elevated Privileges?

Installing with Elevated Privileges?: I m running my laptop as a standalone system and I also have two accounts. One for Admin and for Local Standard User. My question is, even If I had set the UAC prompting level too the maximum level, will I still need to set the following Group Policy as from the image? 114552