Windows 10: Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly

Discus and support Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I have 2 computers in my home, one family computer and one personal. I was running Windows 7 on my personal machine and Windows 10 on the family... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Paladin357, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly

Hi. I have 2 computers in my home, one family computer and one personal. I was running Windows 7 on my personal machine and Windows 10 on the family with no problems with workgroup or sharing. I recently upgraded my personal computer to Windows 10 and now I cannot get the two to share properly.

The family computer is running Win 10 Home version 1903, and the personal computer is Win 10 Pro version 1909. Both computers have network discovery turned on, file and printer sharing are turned on, and password protection is off. However, the family computer will not show in file explorer on the personal machine, but the personal machine shows up on the family computer. Also, though you can see the personal computer on the family one, none of the folders show up when you open it.

I've already gone through and made sure that the appropriate services (DNS client, function discovery provider host, function discovery resource publication, and upnp device host) are working on both computers. I've turned off and then restarted network discovery on both machines, I've restarted the computers several times.

What do I need to do to get the workgroup to function properly?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Alan

:)

Paladin357, Dec 12, 2019

2. Workgroup Computers are displayed as Media Devices

I have several Win10 computers on a "WORKGROUP" network. Network location is set to private on all machines with network discovery and file and printer sharing activated. Two computers are listed as workgroup computers and two as media devices. What do I have to do in order to get the media devices to show up as workgroup computers?

MisterD2016, Dec 12, 2019
  3. cmilstead Win User
    Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain

I have scoured the Networking and Sharing portion of this Win 10 Forum for an answer to my issue but have not found anything that works.

We have a peer to peer network, with one Win 10 machine (acting as server - which we call server) which shares several hard drives for everyone in the office to access. It has network discovery on, file and printer sharing on, turn off password protected sharing off. It has all the drives named and shared properly so everyone has full access. All the other Win 7, and Win 8 machines have complete access as designed. Another Win 10 machine has complete access as designed. All machines are part of the same workgroup Engineer. My machine is a Lenovo laptop which was upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10. When I try to access the Win 10 machine (which is acting as server), I get the Enter Network credentials pop-up asking for Username and Password which we do not use nor have ever set up on the Win 10 machine or any other. I know that there are several posts that have the Enter Network credentials popping up, but the difference is that their screenshot showed them as part of a workgroup. See the following:

Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly [​IMG]

When I get the same pop-up on my Lenovo Laptop It looks like the following:

My System Properties information:

Notice that the example above which is part of the workgroup has no reference to a domain. My pop-up on the Laptop shows reference to a domain, and whats interesting is that the domain is the computer name of the laptop itself. There are no domains set up on any machine of our peer to peer network. I think what needs to be done is the Laptop needs to be convinced it is not part of a domain but part of a workgroup called Engineer, and that might be one step in solving the problem. I wouldn't doubt that after solving that issue that a lot of the others listed in other threads will rear their ugly heads afterwords, but who knows, knowing how to resolve that might solve all my problems. Any ideas community?

Thanks in advance for your help.

cmilstead, Dec 12, 2019
  4. Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly

cannot see workgroup computers

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing a few issues regarding workgroup and LAN. Let me help you resolve the issue.

This issue can be due to two reasons.

• Your computer is not connected to the network. If your computer is not connected to the network, the Network folder appears empty, even if there are other computers and devices on the network.

• Network discovery is blocking you from seeing other computers and devices. If the network discovery setting on your computer is set to off, you won't see other computers and devices on the network. To change your network discovery setting, follow
      these steps:

• Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Startbutton, and then clicking
      Control Panel. In the search box, type
      network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click
      Change advanced sharing settings.
    • Click the chevron to expand the current network profile.
    • Click Turn on network discovery, and then click
      save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

I hope the information helps you resolve the issue. Please get back to us if you have any queries.We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly

1. Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly - Similar Threads - Workgroup computers showing

2. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  3. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  4. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup: I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro, version 18363, they are on a peer-to-peer network. For Both Computers A and B, In the network sharing options for private networks, I have tuned on file and print sharing and turned on Network discovery, and automatic set up of...
  6. Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup"

Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup": Hello, have two machines, running Win 10 Home, both I think are called 32 bit. One machine I use for myself, writing, personally created music, financial etc, the other is used by us both for e-mails, and other information. I had a kind of partial sharing between machines...
  7. Network/Workgroup Sharing

Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...
  8. Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder: Hi, I have a home network that is a simple workgroup. There is an NAS that has some shared folders on the network, with some media servers, etc. I have a desktop computer attached to the router through cable, some laptops, tablets, cell phone, etc. that are attached to the...
  9. Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain

Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain: I have scoured the Networking and Sharing portion of this Win 10 Forum for an answer to my issue but have not found anything that works. We have a peer to peer network, with one Win 10 machine (acting as server - which we call server) which shares several hard drives for...
  10. Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares

Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares: I have a relatively simple network that consists of a couple Windows 10 PCs, Android devices and Raspberry Pis. For some reason I cannot access the shares provided by the PIs from anything but the android devices. It says they are in WORKGROUP (using Kodi) but they simply...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network share is not showing in windows 10 workgroup

2. workgroup machines not showing