Windows 10: Workgroup Troubles sigh...again

Discus and support Workgroup Troubles sigh...again in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I cannot see my household server from my laptop. Both are on Windows 10. The server can see the laptop. But they are under different... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jimspy, Jan 2, 2020.

1. jimspy Win User

Workgroup Troubles sigh...again

Hello,

I cannot see my household server from my laptop. Both are on Windows 10.

The server can see the laptop. But they are under different workgroups. Our household workgroup is called SPEISERHOUSE. My laptop was just upgraded to Win 10, but the dude forgot to change the workgroup from the default WORKGROUP.

Tried to do this myself, but....

Under Control Panel -> System and Security -> System, under Computer Name, Domain and Workgroup settings, it says Workgroup: WORKGROUP. I clickedChange Settings. I get a System Properties dialog, but the Network ID button is greyed out. So I cannot change the workgroup.

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that I am not treated as an Administrator on my own laptop. !! My user type is set to Administrator, but do I have to be logged in as an online user, through my Microsoft account, to be fully recognized? Currently I seem to be a local-only user. And yes, I've gone through the steps to change this, only to run into yet another dead end, but we can cover that later...

Any help appreciated.

:)

jimspy, Jan 2, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Switch from Homegroup to Workgroup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows+ X, select
      System.

• Click on Advanced System settings.

• Under Computer Name tab click on
      change.

• Under “Member Of” change the Workgroup name

• Then click on OK, then when prompted
      reboot your device.

And also refer the article given below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jan 2, 2020
  3. In Windows 10 Home - why would you disable the ability to change the default workgroup name from "workgroup" to something else?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• How are you trying to change the work group name?
    Have you tried as below steps if not I suggest you to follow as below and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+X”.
    • Click on “system”.
    • Then under “computer name, domain and workgroup settings” option.
    • Click on change “settings” on the right hand side.
    • Click on “computer name” tab.
    • Under the option “to rename this computer and change its domain or workgroup, click change”
      click on “change option”.
    • Under “computer name tab” enter the computer name accordingly and click on
      “ok”.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 2, 2020
  4. Workgroup Troubles sigh...again

Migrate to Workgroup from Domain

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand as you want to switch the PC from Domain to workgroup.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

1. Press Windows + Pause Break or open
      control panel and click on System.
    2. Click on Advanced system settings from the left pane.
    3. Select the Computer Name tab from the top and click on
      Change.
    4. Select the radio button beside Workgroup and provide a name.
    5. Click Ok. Then in the prompt click Ok.
    6. Type the user name and password of an administrator account from this PC (not domain), and click/tap on
      OK.
    7. Restart the PC and check.

However, for further assistance
    I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet
    forums, where we have experts and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Domain user to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Regards.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

Workgroup Troubles sigh...again

1. Workgroup Troubles sigh...again - Similar Threads - Workgroup Troubles sigh

2. Windows 10 Sigh-in

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Sigh-in: When login in Windows 10, a message is displayed stating that either the User Name or Password are wrong. I followed up by manually re-input the aforementioned parameters and Windows rebooted successfully. The scenario repeats every time I boot up or Restart Windows....
  3. Well, my PC did it... again... -sigh!-

in Windows 10 Support
    Well, my PC did it... again... -sigh!-: Could not find the boot, entered the BIOS, changed the boot order around (my pc changed the order to start. AGAIN.) Forgot that I don't have to enter my PIN and boot onwards to the desktop. Had to put in my PIN... AGAIN. Stuck on shutdown and had to shutdown manually. AGAIN....
  4. Workgroups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Workgroups: how do I unjoin from a workgroup ? Somehow I am in a workgroup that I never recall joining and it is causing me problems. what can I do to remove my desktop from a workgroup?...
  5. Workgroup

Workgroup: I have Windows 10 version 1903. I have a wifi network with two PCs. PC b shows PC a in File Explorer but is denied access to C or other drives. I have enabled share on the drives in PC a. PC a file explorer does not show PC b. I have enabled share on PC b. How can I...
  6. internet sighing

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    internet sighing: Cannot sighing using sighing & password. Also not accepting mobile phone # https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-sighing/8b96eb8a-6a2b-4a32-af8d-e8de5f12a9b6
  7. workgroup

workgroup: After 10 updated my homegroup was deleted. I can't get workgroup to connect to hard wired lan. Is there a better way to network and share resources? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/workgroup/a0046796-660b-4a4a-92ae-a8974cf0900b
  8. sighs what the heck

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sighs what the heck: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0xfffff807a88ad7b0, 0x000000000000000e, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff80fe6352772). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 1b59b9eb-1ff7-46fd-9835-47609fcce67d it seems to have something...
  9. workgroup

workgroup: How do I setup a workgroup in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/workgroup/549ade62-03ff-435f-b64a-a53c87d620ee
  10. workgroup

workgroup: From a windows 10, Having trouble creating a workgroup with a windows 7. Bill https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/workgroup/5d5266c5-b447-4fe7-8324-104e5328d3d0