Windows 10: Working alternative Sata HD

Discus and support Working alternative Sata HD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Kind of ironic that my Win7-64 MB failed after MS pulled support 3 months ago. No complaints. It was 10 years of faultless operation, So, new Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by miata54, Apr 29, 2020.

1. miata54 Win User

Working alternative Sata HD

Kind of ironic that my Win7-64 MB failed after MS pulled support 3 months ago. No complaints. It was 10 years of faultless operation,

So, new Desktop time. I have kept the 3 HD's that comprised my storage on the Win7 PC. No.1 has the Win7-64 OS and all programs that I used. No's 2 and 3 were for backup. Of course the new PC Sata HD will have Win10-64. The Win7-64 PC was a CTO if that makes any difference in the equation, as is the new Win10-64 PC.

Question 1: If I so choose to do so, could I replace the new Win10-64 HD with the Win7-64 HD, and would it work? Would/Is the MB with the new PC (Win10) so configured that it will only accept/run a Win10 OS or would it also accept/run the Win7 OS on the older HD that I saved?

Question 2: I think I know the answer to this but I'll let experts weigh in. I have the recovery disk's for the Win7-64 PC. Would the new Win10-64 MB recognize these disk's if I tried to do a clean install using the Win7-64 disk's? My guess is no, but please chime in.

If you do respond, please identify your response to the question number.

Thanks

:)

miata54, Apr 29, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

The diskpart commands would be:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <-replace # with the actual number of the old hard drive you want to erase
    clean <-this will erase the drive selected above. Make sure it is the correct drive!
    convert gpt
    create part pri
    format fs=ntfs quick label="Data"
    assign letter=x <-replace x with the actual drive letter you want it to have
    exit
    exit

Or, if you want to use a graphical program, I recommend Minitool Partition Wizard Free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Wizard Free

NavyLCDR, May 23, 2020
  3. miata54 Win User

Thanks all for your info.

Navy LCDR: I suspected as such to using the Win7 discs on another PC as I tried this on my wife' Win7 PC several years ago and it would not load at all.I always wondered what the identifier was and where it was located in the MB. So I will temporarily install it in a second HD bay and wipe it clean. Will a right click on the drive allow me to use the "Format" command or would you suggest a freeware utility, and if so, what would it be?

miata54, May 23, 2020
  4. miata54 Win User

Kind of ironic that my Win7-64 MB failed after MS pulled support 3 months ago. No complaints. It was 10 years of faultless operation,

So, new Desktop time. I have kept the 3 HD's that comprised my storage on the Win7 PC. No.1 has the Win7-64 OS and all programs that I used. No's 2 and 3 were for backup. Of course the new PC Sata HD will have Win10-64. The Win7-64 PC was a CTO if that makes any difference in the equation, as is the new Win10-64 PC.

Question 1: If I so choose to do so, could I replace the new Win10-64 HD with the Win7-64 HD, and would it work? Would/Is the MB with the new PC (Win10) so configured that it will only accept/run a Win10 OS or would it also accept/run the Win7 OS on the older HD that I saved?

Question 2: I think I know the answer to this but I'll let experts weigh in. I have the recovery disk's for the Win7-64 PC. Would the new Win10-64 MB recognize these disk's if I tried to do a clean install using the Win7-64 disk's? My guess is no, but please chime in.

If you do respond, please identify your response to the question number.

Thanks

miata54, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Working alternative Sata HD - Similar Threads - Working alternative Sata

2. Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD: Good day, I have a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro and the C: Drive is a 256 Gb SSD drive. The other internal drive D: is a 2 Tb SATA 5400 RPM hard drive. Currently the C: drive has just about everything on it, including all user folders and files. I would prefer to...
  3. Need to access a Linux SATA HD (connected via a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need to access a Linux SATA HD (connected via a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter): Hope this isn't outside of the Windows10 community!? I have a SATA HD (WD30EFRX 3.0TB) connected to a Windows 10 machine via an USB 3.0 to SATA adapter. Explorer will recognize the partitions but (obviously, as they are Linux) will not access. Is there an "easy" way to...
  4. Alternative drivers for Radeon HD 4300/4500

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Alternative drivers for Radeon HD 4300/4500: I'm having some unusual video problems which I detailed in this thread (you don't need to read it) https://www.computerforum.com/threads/bizarre-video-problem-persists-after-formats.244553/ the problems go away when I remove the video card form the device driver (and tick...
  5. SATA port are not working??

SATA port are not working??: Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like the CMOS got "confused" and the reset allowed it to detect what was actually present. Good job! --Ed--
  6. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA: I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I have aren't slow like this one...
  7. Sata HD Causing computer to slow way down.

Sata HD Causing computer to slow way down.: I Have A SSD As my Main Boot OS Drive. I also Have A WD Sata 6TB for storage of files Etc, when my PC goes to sleep and i wake it up it is SOOOO slow to wake up because of the WD taking for ever to wake up. When not Plugged in my PC will wake up almost instantly. Is there any...
  8. Please Help Me: HD Tune Alternative?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please Help Me: HD Tune Alternative?: Hi, I just need an app that can check if my hard drives are damaged so I can know if they need to be replaced. I'm currently using the free version of HD Tune 2.55. I just checked the HD Tune website and the HD Tune 2.55 app version I'm currently using on my PC was...
  9. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA: I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I have aren't slow like this one...
  10. SATA port not working

SATA port not working: Hi all, I hope that this thread doesn't go as long as the other one, but you never know. In my last thread, that dealt with recovering data on a bad windows 10 disk image, towards the end of it I mentioned that Windows Explorer lost recognition to one of my DVD's. I...