Windows 10: Working on updates stuck at 27% for three hours

Discus and support Working on updates stuck at 27% for three hours in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Lenovo b570 was running Windows 10 1707 so I downloaded the Windows Update Assistant and it downloaded version 1909. It downloaded fine, and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ornithophilia, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Working on updates stuck at 27% for three hours

My Lenovo b570 was running Windows 10 1707 so I downloaded the Windows Update Assistant and it downloaded version 1909. It downloaded fine, and then the laptop restarted.

Now it says "working on updates. this will take a while 27%" and it has been at 27% for three hours now with no sign of progressing. The entire process has been at least six hours now with two hours going from 0% to 27%.

How do I get the ball rolling?

:)

Ornithophilia, Jan 20, 2020

2. Defender update stuck at 27%

i am installing windows 10 update for windows 10 defender it stuck at 27% from many hours. please reply fast to my query.

tanmaypandey_881, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Defender update stuck at 27%

Hi Tanmay,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Do you have any anti-virus program installed?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter

I suggest you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run Windows Update troubleshooter:

• PressWindows key + X and click on
      Control Panel
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Windows Update troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Method 2

I suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows update is running. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key +R, type “services.msc
    • Locate the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the
      Windows Update Services and check if it is running.
    • If not, right click on the service and click start to start the service.
    Method 3: Place the computer in Clean Boot and then install the updates

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the article below to perform clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please refer to the section:
    How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot
    of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Working on updates stuck at 27% for three hours

Windows 10 updates stuck at 91% for 7 hours

Microsoft was of no help to me at all (yet again). Pointing at others, in this case 3rd party antivirus software is a typical attempt to hide their own incompetence.

Another few hours of productivity lost thanks to Microsoft!

Here's what worked for me: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-stuck-downloading-updates

BoerenKnuppel, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Working on updates stuck at 27% for three hours

1. Working on updates stuck at 27% for three hours - Similar Threads - Working updates stuck

2. Windows security update is stuck at 27%.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows security update is stuck at 27%.: I've just bought a new laptop and I started a security update. Every time I attempt to update, the update gets stuck at 27%. I can't access anything else on the computer.Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  3. Windows security update is stuck at 27%.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows security update is stuck at 27%.: I've just bought a new laptop and I started a security update. Every time I attempt to update, the update gets stuck at 27%. I can't access anything else on the computer.Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  4. 22H2 update - Stuck on "Working on updates 27%" for 4 hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    22H2 update - Stuck on "Working on updates 27%" for 4 hours: Hi! I have tried to install the 22H2 update on my HP Pavillion 15 laptop Intel core i5, 11th Gen twice. The first time it was stuck on the message Working on updates 27%Please keep your computer onFor 6 hours before I gave up and restarted my PC. Second time I tried it...
  5. 22H2 update - Stuck on "Working on updates 27%" for 4 hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    22H2 update - Stuck on "Working on updates 27%" for 4 hours: Hi! I have tried to install the 22H2 update on my HP Pavillion 15 laptop Intel core i5, 11th Gen twice. The first time it was stuck on the message Working on updates 27%Please keep your computer onFor 6 hours before I gave up and restarted my PC. Second time I tried it...
  6. Stuck on "Working on Updates" for 9 hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on "Working on Updates" for 9 hours: So I finally decided to run the windows update last night and when I woke up today it is only at 30% and I have yet to see it progress any further. It says dont turn off PC, however I'm not going to wait more days for some update. Anything I can try before just rebooting it?...
  7. why is my win10 update stuck on 27% for 3 hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    why is my win10 update stuck on 27% for 3 hours: why is my win10 update stuck on 27% for 3 hours https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-win10-update-stuck-on-27-for-3-hours/c1b7ed56-c6d5-4992-8b3a-2f646693fce4
  8. My Windows 10 update is stuck on 27% for over 8 hours

My Windows 10 update is stuck on 27% for over 8 hours: I don't know what to do, so i decided to force boot my laptop. And it keeps doing it whenever my laptop restarted please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-10-update-is-stuck-on-27-for-over-8/41f2b46d-b8c0-47ed-9d39-4469ddad3b2a
  9. stuck at "working on updates" at 27%, reboots to rotating dots

stuck at "working on updates" at 27%, reboots to rotating dots: HI all, this is the second of two laptops that I can't upgrade to Windows 10. This is a Toshiba Satellite L665-S5156 running OEM installed Windows 7 Home, fully updated and activated with OEM marker present in firmware as per ShowKeyPlus. I am trying to upgrade this to...
  10. Windows 2019 update stuck at 27%

Windows 2019 update stuck at 27%: Windows 10 started a full windows 10 upgrade on my 3 year old Pavillion laptop. It has been stuck at 27% for 50 minutes. It says not to turn off the laptop. Is this OK? 2019 update...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1909 stuck at 27

2. 1909 update stuck at 27

3. w10 stuck at 27

4. windows update failing at 27%,
  5. windows update hangs on 27%