Windows 10: working SSD is no longer recognized after fresh install of Windows 10

Discus and support working SSD is no longer recognized after fresh install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Thanks , I was thinking about unplugging the SSD and trying again. I will follow your steps and hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks again for your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by doctorwizz, Apr 5, 2018.

1. working SSD is no longer recognized after fresh install of Windows 10

I didnt unplug the SSD cable. Just the power supply cable.

doctorwizz, Apr 5, 2018
  2. mongo549 Win User

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I did a fresh install of windows 10 after an error that I couldn't figure out and unfortunately had no time to fix, I had to have my laptop the next day for work. Anyway, I just did a fresh install of windows 10 PE and got my laptop working but the SSD that was working before was not recognized. If I go into disk management, I believe the SSD is showing as Disk 1 with a down arrow inside a red circle on the left side of Disk 1, it also shows as unknown, not initialized, and there is no size listed, it's just blank. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have an acer e5-575, 1 tb standard hard drive, 16 gb of memory. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

:)

mongo549, Apr 30, 2018
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 on two hard drives not working

Hi there,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 on my machine. I had a dual boot system two installations of Windows 7 Pro each on separate hard drives running happily until I installed Windows 10 on the first one. After I upgraded one of them, the second SSD was recognized
    but it no longer recognized there being an OS installed. After this I figured I'd do a fresh install on the second drive but now it's done the same thing in reverse. The PC boots directly into the second drive and doesn't recognize an OS on the first drive.
    Any ideas?

My PC has an Asus P8 Z77-V LX2 motherboard.

Help!

CharlesPateman, Apr 30, 2018
  4. pjhinch Win User

working SSD is no longer recognized after fresh install of Windows 10

Hard drive is recognised as SSD drive in windows 10.

Original Title: HTS Hard drive (HDD) now recognized as an SSD drive upon upgrade to win 10

DID an upgrade of a new hdd ---HGST HTS725050A7E630 HDD --500gb 7200rpm---Hitachi? to windows 10.

Fresh install of win 7 on this acer laptop worked and defragged correctly...on install of win10..hard drive now recognized as a ssd ,so won't defrag etc. how to fix?

pjhinch, Apr 30, 2018
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 30, 2018
  6. Clintlgm Win User
    Not sure how Acer set up their notebooks with SSD, my guess is your system is UEFI and your disk are GPT and you're trying to install MBR BIOS? What are your hard drives setting in your BIOS that SSD could be running on an IRST driver if so you would have to load that at the beginning of the install in order to see your SSD to install too? If its set for AHCI in the BIOS you probably still need to install UEFI or else you'll have to clean and convert your SSD from GPT to MBR? We really need more info from you as to how you were originally set up. Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Clintlgm, Apr 30, 2018
  7. mongo549 Win User
    Thanks for your replies. I downloaded the drivers from Acer and installed them. I'm not sure if they made things better or worse. There is no longer an unknown device in computer management any longer and the unknown that showed in device manager under drivers is now gone. There is still an unknown device under other devices in device manager.

The SSD: in the machine is Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250GB SSD Solid State Drive MZNLN250HMHQ MZ-N5E250, it was installed by a third party before I bought the system. It worked great until it wouldn't boot on Thursday, I believe it was. The standard Toshiba drive is GPT, I'm unsure how the SSD was setup but I think it was probably MBR because I used software from Lazesoft to try to fix and rebuld the MBR. The MBR checked out fine but I couldn't get the MBR index to rebuild, I believe was the error. I don't have a lot of experience with the BIOS. I logged on to Samsung support and downloaded their tool and ran, it didn't recognize the drive either. Any further suggestions or wisdom you can share will be greatly appreciated.

mongo549, May 1, 2018
  8. ern88 Win User

Is the SSD a secondary disk? You could download Samsung magician and see if there is a firmware update. As well as check the health of it as well.

ern88, May 1, 2018
  9. I had something similar happen. One of my Samsung 850 SSD's disappeared.
    What I did is shut down, unplug, press power button to remove leftover power. Had to remove a USB cable since it was connected to a powered USB hub.
    Restored power and the 850 was back.

doctorwizz, May 1, 2018
  10. mongo549 Win User
    Thanks for your reply. It was the OS disk but right now it is the secondary but nothing including Samsung magician can 'see' it best I can tell. I want to make sure it at least works before I go to the trouble of reinstalling or whatever I have to do to get the system to it's before virus/crash (whatever) state.

mongo549, May 1, 2018
  11. mongo549 Win User
    Thanks Doctorwizz, I was thinking about unplugging the SSD and trying again. I will follow your steps and hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks again for your response

mongo549, May 1, 2018
Thema:

1. working SSD is no longer recognized after fresh install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - working SSD longer

2. fresh windows install on SSD. Bios will not recognize SSD as bootable drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fresh windows install on SSD. Bios will not recognize SSD as bootable drive: ive got an old Lenovo G50-45. I wanted to upgrade the HD to SSD so I bought an HP 512GB SSD. At first the drive was only visible in disk part but after I created a volume and partitioned it and assigned a drive letter it became visible everywhere. Next I tried using...
  3. fresh windows install on SSD. Bios will not recognize SSD as bootable drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fresh windows install on SSD. Bios will not recognize SSD as bootable drive: ive got an old Lenovo G50-45. I wanted to upgrade the HD to SSD so I bought an HP 512GB SSD. At first the drive was only visible in disk part but after I created a volume and partitioned it and assigned a drive letter it became visible everywhere. Next I tried using...
  4. fresh windows install on SSD. Bios will not recognize SSD as bootable drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My nvme ssd is not recognized after a fresh install of windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My nvme ssd is not recognized after a fresh install of windows: This was probably asked a 1000 times but no matter how much i search, i cant find the answer.For context: i build my computer like 2 years ago and everything worked just fine. Around 5 months ago my pc startet crashing. It got worse over time and today i tried to boot with my...
  6. My nvme ssd is not recognized after a fresh install of windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My nvme ssd is not recognized after a fresh install of windows: This was probably asked a 1000 times but no matter how much i search, i cant find the answer.For context: i build my computer like 2 years ago and everything worked just fine. Around 5 months ago my pc startet crashing. It got worse over time and today i tried to boot with my...
  7. My nvme ssd is not recognized after a fresh install of windows

8. Windows 10 fresh install not recognizing SSD

Windows 10 fresh install not recognizing SSD: Hey all, I'm currently trying to install windows on a new ssd through a windows 10 media creation tool install on a USB drive. I get as far as setup, where I try to install windows to a drive, and by new drive doesn't show up. The drive has never been partitioned or used...
  9. Fresh install of Windows 10 to SSD

Fresh install of Windows 10 to SSD: I upgraded to Windows 10 couple years ago when MS offered to Windows 7 owner a free upgrade. Now I'm planning to install a SSD to my computer and have the OS boot from it. How do i do a fresh install to my SSD without the disc? Is there somewhere I can download Windows 10...
  10. Keyboard and Mouse No Longer Work After Installing A SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard and Mouse No Longer Work After Installing A SSD.: I am using Win 10, and I just installed a Samsung SSD in my Dell Optiplex desktop computer, and my keyboard and mouse no longer work. I cloned my hard drive info to the Samsung SSD (USB connection) using the Samsung data migration software, then installed the SSD in my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd no longer showing after fresh windows 10 install