Windows 10: Worried about auto updates messing up a $1.000.00 Laptop

Discus and support Worried about auto updates messing up a $1.000.00 Laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hello about 4 years ago I had a Microsoft Windows 8 machine that did it auto update and when it did I had gotten caught in a boot loop and it would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cdm57, Nov 27, 2020.

1. cdm57 Win User

Worried about auto updates messing up a $1.000.00 Laptop

hello

about 4 years ago I had a Microsoft Windows 8 machine that did it auto update and when it did I had gotten caught in a boot loop and it would just reboot and reboot and then eventually I got the blue screen of death,

I could not get a resolution & tried everything from reverting to a previous date to reinstalling and removing the update nothing worked.

my Windows machine was beyond repair, so I bought a Chromebook and I've been using Google Chrome ever since.

however, I've had a couple of issues with Google and there's nobody to talk to so they have no phone support

I'm wondering if it's easier now with Microsoft and not only get phone support, but what are your feelings on the auto updating?

One time when I had an update years ago I was at work lifted my lid turned on my computer had my presentation in there and I had to wait 45 minutes for the update to complete before I can do my presentations I hate getting an update on Windows home 10 when I didn't ask for it.

I realize security updates are important

sometimes when I would get auto update, it would take an hour or more and I would wonder if I got stuck in update process because you don't know how long the process is going I don't know if that's now changed either.

I do know that a couple of updates that I did I had to press the power button and restart because it just got stuck and I had no idea it wasn't even updating

any advice would be appreciated

here is the link to some really serious windows updates I sure hope these are resolved.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-ruined-my-pc/8de72887-6557-432c-a464-5c549ea86d37

:)

cdm57, Nov 27, 2020
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Nov 27, 2020
  3. malware Win User
    Intel Updates Core 2 Quad Q9550 to E-0 Stepping

We continue our Monday news list with another Intel story that brings to our attention information concerning the company and more specificly its 2.83GHz Core 2 Quad Q9550 chips that will move from the current C-1 to the newer E-0 stepping. The updated chips will start selling on August 22nd, featuring the following changes:
    • New SSpec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • CPUID will change from 0x10677 to 0x1067A
    • Package change to Halide free package
    Apart from that, the new stepping CPUs will not include any other changes. Of course, like most new stepping parts a BIOS update will be needed.

Product Change Notification 108663 - 00

Source: TechConnect Magazine

malware, Nov 27, 2020
  4. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Worried about auto updates messing up a $1.000.00 Laptop - Similar Threads - Worried auto updates

2. Is this something to worry about?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this something to worry about?: Microsoft Community,Today as I was going through my registry I found a folder named CleanMyPC. I have no application named CleanMyPC and never had. A few days ago, I installed Kaspersky in my laptop and it comes with a pc cleaner as well. So, it could possibly be Kaspersky's...
  3. Is this something to worry about?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this something to worry about?: Microsoft Community,Today as I was going through my registry I found a folder named CleanMyPC. I have no application named CleanMyPC and never had. A few days ago, I installed Kaspersky in my laptop and it comes with a pc cleaner as well. So, it could possibly be Kaspersky's...
  4. Worried about malware infection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Worried about malware infection: Hello!My friend decided to download a mod for GTA V when I was gone and he installed a virus and I've gotten about 50-60 viruses from 1 application.I've already deleted all of them and safely continued. But every single day they multiply and I have to delete them everyday.I...
  5. Worried about Getting Hacked

Worried about Getting Hacked: Ok so ive done scans with malwarebytes and windows defender because some kid or guy not sure said he was gonna rat my pc or reverse shell into my computer and i already have done many scanns like i said in the begining and even took it to best buy and did a full new donwnload...
  6. Worried about this Unknown User S-1-5-21-...-1004

Worried about this Unknown User S-1-5-21-...-1004: I do not recall ever creating a group sharing any of my files. S-1-5-21-*********-**********-**********-1004 is an unknown user who is literally everywhere all up in my permissions on all my personal and valuable software libraries. I've read that this could have come from...
  7. Worried about update KB4549951

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Worried about update KB4549951: I just acquired a Lenovo A340 All-In-One desktop computer and after I set it up I noticed that the Update section in settings recommend that this update should be done soon. I've heard that this update can cause problems, e.g. blue & black screens etc. Is Microsoft...
  8. Is it something to worry about?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it something to worry about?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ashwinp123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ejhwa0/is_it_something_to_worry_about/
  9. Is this Something To Worry About?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is this Something To Worry About?: I just reinstalled windows 10 pro on my computer and noticed that under system information that it states "Installed memory (RAM) 16.0 GB (15.9) usable". Is this something to worry about, or how do I correct it? 144044
  10. Windows Update - messed up laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update - messed up laptop: The latest update has totally destroyed my laptop. I have had 2 messages one about Sihost.Exe. The Main one is c://windows/system32/config/systemprofile/Desktop tells me that desktop is missing. I can get into task manager and all my files and Desktop are there - but the...