Windows 10: WOT (Web Of Trust) replacement

Discus and support WOT (Web Of Trust) replacement in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Chrome extension WOT is probably going out of business, it has some serious privacy issues and is already removed from the Chrome Web Store.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by boyboyds, Dec 11, 2016.

1. boyboyds Win User

WOT (Web Of Trust) replacement

Hi,

Chrome extension WOT is probably going out of business, it has some serious privacy issues and is already removed from the Chrome Web Store.

I have been using it for many years and feel lost without it.

Can someone suggest a replacement for this tool....?

Thanks,
    -BBDS

:)

boyboyds, Dec 11, 2016

2. checking a website for virus's before downloading a video

Adding an exclusion means the exclusion will be ignored. I'm not sure of your goal, but WOT, (Web Of Trust), is a good safe site adviser.

WOT (Web Of Trust)

Home – WOT (Web of Trust)

Bruce Hagen, Dec 11, 2016
  3. Wot Toolbar

I had WOT on Win7 and still on Win10 which works fine, but it's not a toolbar.

WOT (Web Of Trust)

Home – WOT (Web of Trust)

Bruce Hagen, Dec 11, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

I use Kaspersky Internet Security which has URL Checker. This displays a green K symbol against 'safe' web sites (see below). You can configure how it operates.

WOT (Web Of Trust) replacement [​IMG]

Steve C, Dec 11, 2016
  5. The question is, whenever you really need it? I am not surprised it is out of business, it is useless.
    DNS already blocks malware and phishing webpages and addons can block other threats as well.

TairikuOkami, Dec 11, 2016
  6. Avira Browser Safety Extension.

RubberDucky, Dec 11, 2016
  7. boyboyds Win User
    Thank you to all who replied.

1. I am not sure Kaspersky is free.
    2. I like to see some warning button next to the links when Google displays its search results. I do not think it is useless.
    3. Avira looks good, I added it to Chrome.

-BBDS

boyboyds, Dec 11, 2016
  8. z3r010 Win User

z3r010, Dec 11, 2016
  9. Hi:

It's a false sense of security to rely on WOT or similar extensions (as shown by the very reason that WOT is going bye-bye).

Yes, Kaspersky (and many of the other robust, paid AVs) have some sort of "malicious URL" feature.
    None is fool-proof.
    For added protection, one might add some or all of these:

• Real-time anti-exploit protection (MBAE-BETA, the new version of MBAE Free; or HitmanPro Alert)
    • Real-time malicious website protection from a specialized anti-malware application (a few options)
    • A customized hosts file
    • SAFE BROWSING practices (mandatory, but not foolproof)

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 11, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    I get a free Kaspersky licence from my bank in the UK. Check who you bank with in case there is freebie.

Steve C, Dec 11, 2016
  11. boyboyds Win User
    I understand that Avira (or other extension) are not bullet proof and there are some "green" sites that are infected. But at least you know that the "red" sites are no good. This cuts your chances of getting an infection and this is all you can hope for.

-BBDS

boyboyds, Dec 11, 2016
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

to me the name "Web of Trust" sounds like a HUGE contradiction of terms -- almost like "Military Intelligence" or "Honest Politician".

If you even THINK of using the Internet you already know that it is essentially "Caveat Emptor" -- a great tool but USE WITH CARE.

Like anything else there are risks involved -- IMO your emphasis should be on SAFE COMPUTER USE rather than relying on Software of any type to get you out of trouble.

Regular backups, SAFE TORRENTING (if you use those sorts of sites), good Windows Firewall and above all don't open any e-mail links from people you don't know -- especially those purporting to offer TAX / BANK / UTILITY refunds !!! -these companies will always contact you DIRECTLY before offering you any legitimate refunds.

A help also is whenever buying online ALWAYS USE A CREDIT CARD rather than a DEBIT card -- credit cards offer insurance and refunds if you get scammed and usually have a decent limit - lower than your potential Bank account --using a Bank DEBIT card could get your entire Bank account emptied with almost zero chance of getting a refund.

That said I'd keep well away from ANYTHING associated with Mc Affe --absolutely HIDEOUS stuff.

Personally I find Windows defender actually OK --just ensure if you download stuff to be careful on what arrows you click -- some sites deliberately obfuscate the real download link with special offers etc etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 11, 2016
  13. torre Win User

torre, Dec 12, 2016
  14. FYI, With the launch of Malwarebytes 3.0 last week, MBAE is now officially incorporated into the new product.

MBAE Free as a standalone has now moved to "perpetual beta" status.

More info here:
    MBAE Standalone Malwarebytes 3.0 Release - Anti-Exploit Beta - Malwarebytes Forums

Another option is HitmanPro Alert, as mentioned in my earlier reply.

Cheers,

MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 12, 2016
  15. Steve C Win User
    Does MBAE now support 64 bit browsers. No browser would open the last time I tried it 2 weeks ago.

Steve C, Dec 12, 2016
Thema:

1. WOT (Web Of Trust) replacement - Similar Threads - WOT Web Trust

2. Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust: We have an installer for our software self-extracting archive signed with a GlobalSign Code Signing Certificate. It's uploaded to our server, users can download it through our website.We have encountered a couple of problems:1 When downloading our installer from our website,...
  3. Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web-Browser\Microsoft Defender SmartScreen trust: We have an installer for our software self-extracting archive signed with a GlobalSign Code Signing Certificate. It's uploaded to our server, users can download it through our website.We have encountered a couple of problems:1 When downloading our installer from our website,...
  4. wot dont start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    wot dont start: all goes perfect but after the button fight I get a place to fight but when I wait for other players nothing happens the esc even don't work and control alt del I use to signout the game goes without me but the time stops so what wrong,i have download wot again it won't...
  5. Wot blitz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wot blitz: Со стороны платформы Microsoft к нам поступили данные об отзыве и возврате Вам средств по следующим транзакциям: Roman66687_1 2019-10-18 17:22:21 Золото Мастеров Roman66687_1 2019-10-18 16:32:50 Контейнер «Дракула» Roman66687_1 2019-10-18 16:32:28 Контейнер «Хелсинг»...
  6. BSOD when playing WoT

BSOD when playing WoT: I keep getting (BSOD) crashes while playing games, specifically WoT. I cant seem to find what the problem is. I have done all driver updates and windows updates etc. I am running intel i7 4770k 3.5ghz Asus maximus VI gene motherboard gtx 1070 16gb ram I will post...
  7. wot blitz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wot blitz: cant find Microsoft wot blitz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wot-blitz/35f2af81-819d-4b74-8f2b-17c3a4beec20
  8. Thanks Microsoft - Wot a Mess

in Windows 10 Support
    Thanks Microsoft - Wot a Mess: Last night windows installed a long upgrade. Then my keyboard (Roccat) lost its drivers and I had to plug in a small MS keyboard which worked. Then, this morning, I have no video drivers (Geforce) and the pc loaded the basic video res. Which I changed to 1060 and that gave me...
  9. Beware of WOT Browser Plugin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Beware of WOT Browser Plugin: Read this if you use WOT https://lifehacker.com/web-of-trust-...-it-1788667989 I've now removed WOT from all of my browsers. 69494
  10. WOT and Spotify conflict?

WOT and Spotify conflict?: This computer has been crashing more than usual lately and it's been happening when I play World of Tanks while listening to music. Sometimes Teamspeak is also involved. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Edit: Well I lasted about 30 minutes before crashing, here...