Windows 10: Would a new NVMe OS drive improve my performance much?

Discus and support Would a new NVMe OS drive improve my performance much? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I saw that the 256GB Samsung SM961 VNME SSD is available for $40 right now and was considering picking it up. Even at that cheap price, I'm not certain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bfollowell, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Would a new NVMe OS drive improve my performance much?

I saw that the 256GB Samsung SM961 VNME SSD is available for $40 right now and was considering picking it up. Even at that cheap price, I'm not certain I'll get much benefit from it. I currently have a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO-Series as my OS drive and I have my games and apps installed on it. I'm starting to feel a little claustrophobic. If I get the new drive, I'd use it as my main OS/app drive, and use the 850 EVO for my games.

So, keeping that in mind how I would use the drive, and that I would keep my games on the 850 EVO, would I see much of a benefit other than my system booting in ten seconds instead of 30? If not, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it, as I leave my system on for days on end and don't boot or reboot all that often. Would I see much improvement in normal, daily use?

:)

bfollowell, Jun 6, 2019

2. Installing new NvMe drive and using it as primary boot runnig windows 10

Hello,

I have a preinstalled windows 10 along with 30+ apps(both from manufacturer and third party) running on my desktop. I recently bought the Samsung 960 evo NvMe drive and would like to use it as my new boot drive. I know that I have to create a bootable usb
    drive, disconnect all other SSD/HDD, leave only the NvMe drive, install windows on it and then reconnect all the drives back.

I would like to understand how I could create an ISO image of my preinstalled windows 10(along with all the updates, hardware drivers and apps) and make a bootable USB out of it. Is it possible? if so, could anyone list the steps needed or point me to a
    thread or post online? Thank you.

SusheelPalkamsetti, Jun 6, 2019
  3. kunrau Win User
    Improve PC performance

The #1 thing that you can do to improve PC performance is to get a good SSD (solid state drive) and make it your system (OS) drive. Nothing else that you can do will improve performance more than this one thing.

kunrau, Jun 6, 2019
  4. Would a new NVMe OS drive improve my performance much?

little cat, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

Would a new NVMe OS drive improve my performance much?

1. Would a new NVMe OS drive improve my performance much? - Similar Threads - NVMe drive improve

2. trying to improve performance-

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    trying to improve performance-: my computer is running too slowly. when i searched help, i was told to chesk fo the latest updates when i clicked on that I got an error message sayin the server terminated because it enclountereed a "client request loop". Now I cant get past that step in the tips to...
  3. Improve the performance of my PC

Improve the performance of my PC: I recently noticed that my PC ran a lot slower and could run fewer apps than before. I opened the task manager while having no apps runningeven in the system tray, and I noticed I was using around 50% of my 8GB of RAM. I scrolled through the list of processes and background...
  4. VMWare WKS 15.5 - much improved performance so DO update

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare WKS 15.5 - much improved performance so DO update: Hi folks running VMWare wks 15.5 on Linux Host on HP envy laptop with W10 latest skip ahead build as the VM: Laptop i5 CPU 2 core 8GB mem W10 VM -- 4GB Ram 2 core processor running Photoshop and office Mem and CPU usage on host -- good for the activity on the VM [img]...
  5. how to improve the performance of my laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to improve the performance of my laptop: hello i have a lenovo ideapad 330-15ikb with intel i5-8250u. 1.60ghz, 8GB RAM and windows 10 home 14393 with bios version 8tcn44ww. I also have intel uhd graphics 620 of 4178 MB and vram of 128 MB. With these configurations my laptop works fine without lagging. I have...
  6. Improve performance

Improve performance: Very slow pc. How do I improve performance? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/improve-performance/870b638c-8473-4024-b0c2-297850f670c4
  7. NVMe Performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NVMe Performance: Crystal Disk Mark was never good with SSD drives. This one AS SSD Benchmark 2.0.6485 Download - TechSpot and Samsung Magician are more valuable.
  8. Improve performance on netbook

Improve performance on netbook: I have Windows 10 insider 14385 64-bit on a 6 year old netbook with Atom N455 and want to know if there is more room for improving performance. Currently it performs quite good, battery is good too, even faster than Win 7 in some circumstances, but there is some lag opening...
  9. Performance Improvement Needed

Performance Improvement Needed: New Windows 10 user cannot figure out how to run performance improvements functions (defrag, remove temp files, remove cookies, etc.). Please help. Thank you 77564
  10. 960 evo nvme speed improvement

960 evo nvme speed improvement: I have a new system with a 960 evo nvme. The system bios is legacy. If i change the bios to uefi and change the mbr to gpt, would i gain any significant speed improvement with the nvme drive? Currently i am underwhelmed by the speed of the nvme in comparison to a 850 pro on...