Windows 10: Would an out-of-date video driver cause the Start menu to stop working

Discus and support Would an out-of-date video driver cause the Start menu to stop working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, A while back, I had a problem where the Start menu wouldn't work. This started as an intermittent problem that usually went away when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Yossu, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Yossu Win User

Would an out-of-date video driver cause the Start menu to stop working

Hello,

A while back, I had a problem where the Start menu wouldn't work. This started as an intermittent problem that usually went away when I rebooted, but developed into a full-time issue.

Despite a lot of help in this forum (thanks again to all those who put in so much effort), I never got it sorted, and eventually reverted to Win7.

That was all fine for a while, but recently started rearranging my windows when I restarted. This got worse until it was doing it whenever I locked the screens, and had got to the stage where some apps were doing it when minimised then immediately restored.

I updated my video drivers, and all the problems went away. Windows now stay where I put them, and don't get moved.

I was just wondering if the problems I had with the Start menu might have been connected to the video driver as well. On the one hand, I'd like to go back to Win10, but on the other, I really don't want to go through all the effort of reinstalling Windows and all my apps if it's not likely to help.

I realise that non-one is going to be able to give me a definitive answer, I'm just looking for opinions. Does this seem likely, or are the two too disconnected?

Thanks

:)

Yossu, Jun 10, 2018
  2. drpearl Win User

Start menu stopped working in Windows 10

The Start Menu on my copy of Windows 10 stopped working for no apparent reason. I have tried the suggested four steps above. The first three ran. The final one failed to run due to an error. The process did not fix the start menu. My Windows 10 computer
    is disabled and unusable. I need a solution ASAP.

drpearl, Jun 10, 2018
  3. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Jun 10, 2018
Thema:

Would an out-of-date video driver cause the Start menu to stop working

1. Would an out-of-date video driver cause the Start menu to stop working - Similar Threads - date video driver

2. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Cortana
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  3. out dated drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    out dated drivers: what to do with popups claiming my drivers are out dated and winzip wants to install updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/out-dated-drivers/7620b6dd-456f-467d-8185-4d5b9de327a3
  4. Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will contiune to appear search in the results after having been removed. This issue only affects program results, not file results. I have tried...
  5. Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  6. OUT OF DATE VIDEO CONTROLLER DRIVER

OUT OF DATE VIDEO CONTROLLER DRIVER: I HAVE A HP SLIMELINE SERIES DESKTOP WITH WINDOWS 10. I CAN RUN A PERFORMANCE CHECK ON IT AND ITS TELLING ME THAT THERE NAS BEEN A DEVICE INSTALL REQUESTED AND DEVICE CONFIGURED (NULL) IVE TRIED UPDATING THE DRIVER AND IT SAYS IT CANT TO GO TO WINDOWS UPDATE AND TRY BUT THAT...
  7. Can out of date graphics card drivers cause issues?

Can out of date graphics card drivers cause issues?: I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, and i've been experiencing issues such as some graphics not loading and crashes. I had just realised my drivers weren't up to date. Can the issues I've been experiencing be because of out of date drivers, or is there other issues with my...
  8. Start menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu stopped working: The Startmenu stopped loading at startup and/or when depressing window. It use to work fine. New updates are messing up and resetting many of my settings. 82721
  9. Alt-Tab out of games my Start menu stops working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Alt-Tab out of games my Start menu stops working?: Hello when ever I Alt-tab out of a full screen game my start menu stops working? Anyone else have this? 26309
  10. Start Menu stops working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu stops working?: Been happening alot lately I can't open my start menu it just stops working. Only a restart or log off works. Any ideas? 24315