Windows 10: Would clearing space on my HDD make Windows faster?

Discus and support Would clearing space on my HDD make Windows faster? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Out of 496 GB I have 83 GB free. Would moving some things to an external drive make enough of a difference in performance to justify doing it or does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/osowavy, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Would clearing space on my HDD make Windows faster?

Out of 496 GB I have 83 GB free. Would moving some things to an external drive make enough of a difference in performance to justify doing it or does HDD space not really matter when it comes to that?

submitted by /u/osowavy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/osowavy, Nov 22, 2019

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Nov 22, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Would clearing space on my HDD make Windows faster?

Accidentally Cancelled An Update - Which files can be removed to clear space

• Right-click start and choose "Run" then type cleanmgr ("cleanup manager") and click OK.
    • If asked to choose a drive, pick your C: drive (or wherever Windows is installed).
    • In the popup, ignore everything and click the "Clean up system files" button. Don't miss this step.
    • Now you can select all the update-related stuff above to clear it out (or clear it all, all of it is safe to remove if you want to free space).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Would clearing space on my HDD make Windows faster?

1. Would clearing space on my HDD make Windows faster? - Similar Threads - clearing space HDD

2. Make Windows ignore external USB HDD during boot for faster startup

in Windows 10 News
    Make Windows ignore external USB HDD during boot for faster startup: [ATTACH]When you turn on your PC, a lot goes behind the scene, starting with the detection of connected hardware. When you have multiple external drives or USB HDD connected to a PC, the UEFI or BIOS will wait for the drives to boot up and check if it needs to boot up from...
  3. clearing space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clearing space: How do I clear cookies and delete the cache from my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clearing-space/9e8451a0-8d17-45bc-909f-b1888c27bc9e
  4. clearing space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    clearing space: How do I clear cookies and delete the cache from my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clearing-space/9e8451a0-8d17-45bc-909f-b1888c27bc9e
  5. How to make my laptop faster?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make my laptop faster?: My lpt is win 10 with 4 gb ram 200gb ,64gb virtual ram ,with core i3.How to make my laptop faster? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-my-laptop-faster/9988d64a-4868-4783-9ab5-51646793d435
  6. I want to make my windows faster

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want to make my windows faster: I don't know if it's the right place for that. I don't have a very good computer, but so far I haven't felt the need to make it faster, until now. For some time, I noticed that it became slower and I would like to make it faster. I found some methods on youtube but I don't...
  7. Clearing storage space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clearing storage space: I'm trying to clear up some space. I've cleared and deleted all unwanted files, the issue is when I open up my storage it indicates that 'temporary files' are taking up 4.25GB of space, yet when I open it up it shows only 50MB worth of data to clear. I have previously cleared...
  8. Does two partitions on a HDD make your PC faster?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does two partitions on a HDD make your PC faster?: I'm making this post for my brother, who owns an HP gaming PC prebuilt. I would like to make some improvements/modifications to make his PC faster, but first on the software side before upgrading hardware, if possible to save some money. If you have any other suggestions on...
  9. Making the hdd main storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Making the hdd main storage space: I recently built a new pc, I have a 512 gb m.2 ssd, and a 2tb hdd. So my boot drive is the ssd. It contains all of the windows stuff. My question is, how do i safely transfer the folders like (Desktop, documents, downloads) into the hdd? And how do i make the contents save...
  10. please make my computer faster

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    please make my computer faster: please make my computer faster https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_people/please-make-my-computer-faster/af22c3fe-3f8d-428d-8393-9ed9633fad77