Windows 10: Would having page files on multiple different drives act similarly to dual channel ram?

Discus and support Would having page files on multiple different drives act similarly to dual channel ram? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; by acting like dual channel ram i purely mean in the sense of improving performance over just one page file.ive got an old mid range laptop from around... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mikael_2778, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Would having page files on multiple different drives act similarly to dual channel ram?

by acting like dual channel ram i purely mean in the sense of improving performance over just one page file.ive got an old mid range laptop from around 2016 with soldered memory and two m.2 slots that i think are far enough apart to have seperate controllers.just wondering if i could improve performance on it by giving it two ssds and putting a page file on both.

:)

Mikael_2778, Jan 26, 2023
  2. zbook Win User

Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop

The RAM can bottleneck the CPU when benchmark testing.
    In real world testing you won't notice the difference.
    You would need to push the computer to extremes.

Most end users do not overclock laptops.
    So for the typical laptop you won't notice the difference again when using single as compared to dual channel.

When adding or replacing RAM these are important:
    a) Use RAM that is displayed on the computer or motherboard manufacturers Qualified Vendor List (QVL)
    b) Always purchase in pairs with matching SKU (so that there are no compatibility problems)
    c) Consider RAM manufacturers offering lifetime warranty

When adding or replacing RAM consider the pricing for two 8GB versus one 16 GB.
    If its a minor difference go with the two 8 GB.

One other factor to consider is having four DIMM with 2 RAM modules.
    Typically adding only one RAM module converts dual channel into single channel.
    The single and dual channel refer to the function of the motherboard.
    In the owners manual it may indicate which DIMM to use when using one versus two RAM modules.

Single Channel vs Dual Channel Memory: Which Is Better? | Beebom
    RAM Performance Benchmark: Single-Channel vs. Dual-Channel - Does It Matter? | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

Consider using the Crucial scanner for available options:
    Crucial System Scanner

zbook, Jan 26, 2023
  3. psyko12 Win User
    Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Jan 26, 2023
  4. Would having page files on multiple different drives act similarly to dual channel ram?

Dual Channel and Flex mode

I would like to know how dual channel and flex mode works. I think I do but need some clarifications please.

I have 1x 4gb DDR3 and 1x 8gb DDR3 totally 12gb. So, CPUID says they are running in dual channel mode.

My questions are as following:

Q1) 1x 4gb + 0.5x 8gb are running in dual channel; and remaining 4gb is running in flex mode. Is that correct?

Q2) If I consume over 8gb of ram then what happens?

a) 4+4 gb will be running in dual channel, and remaining 4gb running in single channel mode? Or,

b) the entire 12gb will be running in single channel mode?

Q3. Any difference whether I place my ram back or front? For example, 8gb in slot 1 and 4gb in slot 2; or reverse 4gb in front and 8gb in slot 2?

Thanks

Presentelaw, Jan 26, 2023
Thema:

Would having page files on multiple different drives act similarly to dual channel ram?

1. Would having page files on multiple different drives act similarly to dual channel ram? - Similar Threads - having page files

2. Would having page files on multiple different drives act similarly to dual channel ram?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Would having page files on multiple different drives act similarly to dual channel ram?: by acting like dual channel ram i purely mean in the sense of improving performance over just one page file.ive got an old mid range laptop from around 2016 with soldered memory and two m.2 slots that i think are far enough apart to have seperate controllers.just wondering if...
  3. dual channel help, searching for RAM info on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual channel help, searching for RAM info on windows 10: hi i need help,I'm trying to get a similar ram stick for my laptop for dual channel but i cant find the correct info on windowsmy laptop model is : Hp 15-ef0025wmwhen i run hp assistant, cpu z and task manager it tells me different in formation plz help.running cmd does help...
  4. File vs Folder names similar, but different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  5. File vs Folder names similar, but different

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  6. RAM channel

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RAM channel: Hello! I have upgraded my RAM from 4gb single channel to 2x8. Today I checked cpu-z and it showed that my RAM sticks are running on single channel, but in task manager i see that 2 from 2 RAM slots are being used and i have 16gb of rams. Is it supposed to be like that or...
  7. Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop: I have a new Dell Vostro 5590 i7 10510U laptop with 8GB DDR4 RAM 2666 Mhz and a NVidia MX250 GPU with 2GB. Win10 Pro. NVMe SSD. The RAM is running in single channel currently. There is an available RAM slot that can be used to increase RAM. If I add another 8GB “stick’’ of...
  8. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  9. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

in Windows 10 Support
    Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  10. Ram: Dual Channel & Volt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ram: Dual Channel & Volt: So I am thinking about buying a 8 GB RAM for my laptop. I have a few question about RAM regarding volts and dual channel. #1 My current ram shows it is running at 1.5 V. Can I put it a 1.35 V ram instead? #2 When I put the 2x4 RAM in my laptop, will it dectect that I...