Windows 10: Would my Windows 7 Ultimate activate properly Win 10 if there was a Win10 upgrade failure?

Discus and support Would my Windows 7 Ultimate activate properly Win 10 if there was a Win10 upgrade failure? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have this situation.... I have a PC with a tragic history and I wonder if it can still re-upgrade to Windows 10. Here are all the facts so that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by D.E.G.T, Nov 30, 2019.

1. D.E.G.T Win User

Would my Windows 7 Ultimate activate properly Win 10 if there was a Win10 upgrade failure?

I have this situation.... I have a PC with a tragic history and I wonder if it can still re-upgrade to Windows 10. Here are all the facts so that someone here (Microsoft) can tell me whether it is possible or not.

Background History

I had it custom made, it had Windows Vista Pro (the powerful version) but because Windows 7 was about to be released, it came with a free Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade.

Then Windows 7 was released and I followed the instructions to upgrade my PC to Windows 7 Ultimate. I ran it happily for a few years, basically .NET development and Microsoft Flight Simulator X (I was an MS FSX Beta Tester too).

I moved abroad to the Third World (I do not have to tell you what that entails) and in a few months the electricity company with all its fluctuations blew up my motherboard and inflicted damage to my good video card despite the big surge protector (which BTW also got damaged).

I rebuilt my PC with a new motherboard and the same glitching video card (luckily mobo also had a built-in video card). I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate and spent weeks reconfiguring my entire development and simulating environment, very time-consuming!. The PC got a new life (more power) with the new mobo. Again, it was protected with a big surge protector.

Then came Windows 10 and it was constantly nagging me to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Little did I know that that "free" would turn expensive in terms of downtime!

I used the Windows 10 download the system had done after nagging me constantly. I decided to run the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. But, I got screwed big time, the "free upgrade" MS downloaded on my system went sour. During that upgrade the Windows system gave some upgrade error. After that my system turned into a paper weight, it refused to boot into the new Windows 10 Pro regardless of my actions.

That meant I had to wipe out my HDD and reinstall my Windows 7 Ultimate. By the time I got to reconfigure my system the Windows 10 free upgrade grace period came to an end and I did not dare to run the "upgrade" again, having become in the process very distrustful about it. The PC remained with Windows 7 Ultimate as my workhorse. I do not recall if I manually activated the upgrade or if the system registered my system as a free upgrade during that process.

Other Facts

In case somebody forgets the facts...

• It had Windows 7 Ultimate
    • It validated for free Windows 10 upgrade and the system was powerful enough for Windows 10
    • The free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro was run during the grace period
    • The upgrade went through to the end but at some point after Win 10 had booted, it gave a grave error and failed to boot.

New Situation

The question is... now that I am going to reinstall that whole PC from scratch into a new disk (still have the Win7 Ultimate media that I used for the failed free upgrade), can I download Windows 10 and will it recognize my system as one that "upgraded" during the grace period despite having downgraded for the reasons mentioned above?

:)

D.E.G.T, Nov 30, 2019

2. Windows 10 Vs Windows 7 ultimate.

Win 7 ultimate vs which version of windows 10? Win 7 Ultimate has all the bells and whistles like NFS support.

Easy Rhino, Nov 30, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Win 7 to Ultimate - upgrade still possible to Win10 ?

Upgrade to Windows 10 | Tutorials

- best read carefully...

and you will find

dalchina, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Would my Windows 7 Ultimate activate properly Win 10 if there was a Win10 upgrade failure?

DOWNGRADE TO WIN 7 ULTIMATE and UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO

I refer to the following Microsoft Community Team’s query:

“……Remember that question you asked on
    Microsoft Community
    a few days ago?

Title:
    DOWNGRADE TO WIN 7 ULTIMATE and UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO

We noticed that the question hasn't been marked as Answered yet and we were wondering if you resolved the issue.

The issue “DOWNGRADE TO WIN 7 ULTIMATE and UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO” is unanswered. The suggestion to refer to the link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications
    does not answer my query as well. I knew the prerequisites of upgrading to Win 10 from either Win 7 Ultimate or Win 8.1 Home as I have read the min. requirements/machine
    specifications to upgrade directly either from the aforesaid OSes beforehand. The issue is whether from Win 8.1 Home downgrade to Win 7 Ultimate and from thereafter upgrade to Win 10 Pro possible without technicality issues. Nevertheless, since I cannot wait
    for either a reply to the abovementioned issue (or my reservation to upgrade from Win 8.1 Home), I then gathered/downloaded bits and pieces of probable drivers for my machine, formatted my HDD (1TB) for more than 18 hours, clean install Win 7 Ultimate SP1,
    activated using my previously purchased license and ran Windows afterwards, ran updates until repetitive error (around 25 KB updates failed to install many times) popped up during tiresome cyclic updates process. Fed-up with the errors after failed tries to
    source answers from Microsoft Community, I tried my luck by upgrading to Win 10 Pro. After couple of days, viola, I have upgraded to Win 10 Pro finally, whew! Now I am running this machine with Win 10 Pro for a couple of days now, being up to date and running
    very well. Hopefully no problem/s will arise.

Thank to those suggestions though.

TheGragasins, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

Would my Windows 7 Ultimate activate properly Win 10 if there was a Win10 upgrade failure?

1. Would my Windows 7 Ultimate activate properly Win 10 if there was a Win10 upgrade failure? - Similar Threads - Ultimate activate properly

2. Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues: Trying to upgrade a PC with Win 7 ultimate installed to Win 10 home purchased from MS. However after downloading the home s/w it keeps trying to install Win 10 pro. Any ideas?...
  3. Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues: Trying to upgrade a PC with Win 7 ultimate installed to Win 10 home purchased from MS. However after downloading the home s/w it keeps trying to install Win 10 pro. Any ideas?...
  4. Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgraded a fully activated Win 7 Ultimate/Pro to Win 10 Pro - Activation fails after a few...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded a fully activated Win 7 Ultimate/Pro to Win 10 Pro - Activation fails after a few...: Help! I recently upgraded a fully activated Win 7 Ultimate laptop, Dell Precision M6800, to Win 10 Pro. I used the USB media created at the MS link. It seemed to be 100% successful except on one minor application. It indicated that it was fully activated but the next day,...
  6. WIn 10 upgrade from 7 ultimate, partition error ??

WIn 10 upgrade from 7 ultimate, partition error ??: Just tried upgrading from the microsoft download page yet get the following error... "This PC can't run windows 10 - We couldn't update the system reserved partition" Around 96gb free on the m2 ssd, what's the score here ?. Used Macrium Reflect (uninstalled) to copy this...
  7. upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 failure

upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 failure: getting the error "failed in SECOND BOOT, MIGRATING DATA step" when trying to upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10. any idesa on how to fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-7-to-win-10-failure/5897582e-19f6-4dd0-a905-db07ffc929b9
  8. win 7 ultimate to win 10 home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win 7 ultimate to win 10 home: I bought a product key for win 10 home. Upgrading win 10 ultimate only offers win 10 pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-ultimate-to-win-10-home/7f60e015-276d-4c68-8650-d7d411138a0c"
  9. Win 7 to Ultimate - upgrade still possible to Win10 ?

Win 7 to Ultimate - upgrade still possible to Win10 ?: I started with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit then upgraded to Ultimate some time ago however it's getting slower so would like to upgrade to Win 10. I know the free upgrade offer expired some time ago so wondering if it's still possible ? Not a techie.... 122701
  10. Upgrading 7 Ultimate 64 bit to Win10

Upgrading 7 Ultimate 64 bit to Win10: I started this operation having a dual boot up system using two internal HD's, one running a 32 bit Win7 home addition the other a 64 bit Win7 Ultimate. I was running Win7 32 bit on one drive which I needed to run my old version of Autocad, the Autocad is installed on an...