Windows 10: Would original W7 licence still be accepted and validated with W10 ?

Discus and support Would original W7 licence still be accepted and validated with W10 ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Maybe I'm imagining this but I thought I saw in a thread that MS are still allowing W10 upgrades using a W7 license. This would be for W7 that was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mooly, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Mooly Win User

Would original W7 licence still be accepted and validated with W10 ?

Maybe I'm imagining this but I thought I saw in a thread that MS are still allowing W10 upgrades using a W7 license. This would be for W7 that was supplied preinstalled on a PC when new.

Can anyone confirm that the 'free offer', although long since officially expired, would still work and be accepted ?

:)

Mooly, Apr 9, 2017

2. Does Windows 10 upgrade invalidate my Windows 7 license ?

I have worked in IT for many years and built a number of PCs and installed Windows 100s of times so very computer literate.

I have a number of Windows 7 PCs in my house and wish to take advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade.

However after making the W10 upgrade I wish to return to using Windows 7 for a while (maybe months) before making the full move to Windows 10 (I can easily return to Windows 7 as I have all the PCs backed up with Macrium Reflect, I also have the original
    OEM DVDs as well if I wish to do a fresh install).

So do my W7 licenses stay valid and active (even if I have upgraded to Windows 10) and can I continue to use W7 on the original PC. Or does the W10 upgrade invalidate the W7 license?

I assume then there will be no problem if I wish to install Windows 10 at a later date (I will download the Windows 10 ISO) and the W10 licence will still be valid and active.

Guilbert53, Apr 9, 2017
  3. Dual boot W7 and W10 activation

I have been running a W7 Pro OS for some years now. I have three hard drives installed.

I created a seperate 25GB partition (H) on one of the spare hard drives that was not the C drive.

I installed W10 from a downloaded "setup" app from MS.

On turning on the PC I get the choice of what OS to run, W7 or W10.

W7 runs just as it used to.

W10 loads and opens as I would expect, but is apparently not activated. It will not accept the W7 Key, and I don't know how to obtain the W10 activation Key. I had assumed that as W7 is activated and associated with the same mother board, that would allow
    me to use W10 fully activated as well. Can I activate W10 or must I puschase an activation key for W10 Pro, which seems to go against the MS offer of a free OS upgrade to holders of W7/8 licences.

Thanks for your help,

Regards

David D

DavidDownes, Apr 9, 2017
  4. Would original W7 licence still be accepted and validated with W10 ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...XNhiu3o52rA)()

pixiegurl83, Apr 9, 2017
  5. georgeks Win User
    If you still doubt, just click the “Upgrade Now” button and you will download the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant setup.

Run it and -hopefully-a prompt will appear to accept the license agreement before continuing.

georgeks, Apr 9, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    Thanks folks.

The PC in question is actually half way around the world, but the question came up and I wasn't sure.

That's great, thanks, I'll pass that info along.

Mooly, Apr 9, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    @Mooly,
    Can I ask what handicap the user has that causes them to use Assistive Technologies? Idid not see any mention in your OP of a handicapped user that needs Assistive Technologies.

@pixiegurl83,
    On this forum, we do not advocate or suggest that people who do not have a handicap requiring the use of Assistive Technologies to use the provisions Microsoft has provided to those people to obtain free upgrades. To the moderators of this forum that is like parking in the handicap spot without a handicap or a handicap parking permit.

@Mooly, Windows 7 will still upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the normal methods without having to resort to abusing the Assistive Technologies provision provided by Microsoft to those who truly need it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 9, 2017
  8. Mooly Win User

You can ask *Wink

My original question was asked good faith, and I think the replies were offered in the same way. Having read the FAQ's on the MS page related to all this then it would seem they have purposely left the door not just wide open but removed and off its hinges.

Thanks for confirming that the W7 to W10 upgrade is still do-able. As before, I'll pass that on.

Mooly, Apr 9, 2017
  9. Very well said. *Thumbs

Layback Bear, Apr 10, 2017
  10. My bad. I'm disabled so that doesn't apply to me. BUT I didn't use the AT to upgrade. My PC upgraded automatically with Windows Update.

pixiegurl83, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Would original W7 licence still be accepted and validated with W10 ? - Similar Threads - original licence still

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?

Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?: I see the last posts in the upgrade forum were in 2020. Is the upgrade still available? Thanks 175774
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. About licence validity

About licence validity: Hi team, i have recently upgraded to windows 10 Home edition and i am not seeing any product key as it is showing with digital licence activated .May i know how many days of this OS validity?...
  9. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  10. W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!

W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!: Hi folks. Not sure how long this will continue to work but the Free update from W7/W8/W8.1 is STILL working as of 16 Nov 2017. I entered an old Technet key for W8.1 pro on a clean install of W10 pro via the media creation tool. No probs -- activated with Digital...