Windows 10: Would removing a Third Party AntiVirus software render Windows Defender Firewall inoperable

Discus and support Would removing a Third Party AntiVirus software render Windows Defender Firewall inoperable in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently sent my laptop in for repair and ended up getting a new hard drive with the Mcafee LiveScan installed. After uninstalling the third-party... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Trailer Park, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Would removing a Third Party AntiVirus software render Windows Defender Firewall inoperable

I recently sent my laptop in for repair and ended up getting a new hard drive with the Mcafee LiveScan installed. After uninstalling the third-party software, Windows defender Firewall will not start and gives me the error: 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I have tried all I can do to restart the Firewall and is unable to.

My question is: would uninstalling a third-party antivirus render Windows Defender Firewall inoperable and vulnerable?

Please help.

:)

Trailer Park, Jul 18, 2020
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

windows defender firewall

Hi Faye,

Third-party antivirus programs usually have their own uninstallers provided by the software developer. We suggest checking the developer's website or contacting their support team for assistance with uninstalling their program. After fully uninstalling the
    third-party antivirus software, you may turn on Windows Defender by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center and press Enter.
    • Click Firewall and network protection.
    • Click Private (discoverable) network and click On.
    • Click Public (non-discoverable) network and click On.

Let us know if you have any other concerns about Windows Defender.

Yolvi Ell, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Use Windows 10 firewall with third party antivirus

Installing third-party antivirus software that does not include its own firewall will not disable Windows' built-in firewall. In this case you can (and should) continue using the Windows firewall.

You might be asking this question because the Windows firewall is now called the Windows Defender firewall. However, it's not actually an integral part of the Windows Defender antivirus/anti-malware software. The Windows firewall existed long before Windows defender...it actually hails all the way back from the days of Windows XP.

The Windows firewall is on by default, so unless you intentionally disable it or install a security software program that does so, it will be enabled and protecting your computer.

I say Reinstate Monica, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Would removing a Third Party AntiVirus software render Windows Defender Firewall inoperable

My AntiVirus Software is expiring ;I cannot renew for 48 hours; it controls the Firewall in Windows; I need to switch & get firewall working again!

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me assist you.

• Which third party antivirus are you using?

I understand you want to enable security measures on your Windows 10 computer. I would like to inform you that
    Windows Defender is a security feature on Windows 10 which helps protect your PC from malicious virus and firmware. It is always active and only disables automatically if any third party antivirus is enabled on the system. In case no security
    software is working, Defender will enable itself, if the antivirus is removed from the system. If you still have the antivirus installed on the system, you may have to enable Windows Defender manually. I suggest you to refer the below article for details on
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-protect-your-pc

Also refer the below article to Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/turn-windows-firewall-on-or-off

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Would removing a Third Party AntiVirus software render Windows Defender Firewall inoperable

1. Would removing a Third Party AntiVirus software render Windows Defender Firewall inoperable - Similar Threads - removing Third Party

2. Solved - How to enable Windows Defender Firewall without uninstalling third party antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Solved - How to enable Windows Defender Firewall without uninstalling third party antivirus: A third party antivirus called FortiClient has disabled Windows Defender Firewall WDF on my personal machine. I've disabled its services, renamed its drivers and modified its registry keys in order to disable some of the more invasive corporate monitoring feaatures, including...
  3. How to enable Windows Defender Firewall without uninstalling third party antivirus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable Windows Defender Firewall without uninstalling third party antivirus: A third party antivirus called FortiClient has disabled Windows Defender Firewall WDF on my personal machine. I've disabled its services renamed its drivers and modified its registry keys in order to disable some of the more invasive corporate monitoring feaatures, including...
  4. How to enable Windows Defender Firewall without uninstalling third party antivirus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable Windows Defender Firewall without uninstalling third party antivirus: A third party antivirus called FortiClient has disabled Windows Defender Firewall WDF on my personal machine. I've disabled its services renamed its drivers and modified its registry keys in order to disable some of the more invasive corporate monitoring feaatures, including...
  5. How to enable Windows Defender Firewall without uninstalling third party antivirus

6. Third-party antivirus and Defender

Third-party antivirus and Defender: Hi all, I hope I can be as clear as possible. I have Kaspersky Total Security, and I've had it since December. Every once in a while I'll get notifications to turn on Microsoft Defender - I understand installing third-party antivirus software will turn off/disable Defender,...
  7. Third party antivirus software become ineffective recently.

Third party antivirus software become ineffective recently.: I have been using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, free version, & SuperAntiSpyware, free version, for ten years. They run on demand only since they are free versions. My habit is : Turn my PC on, and then run SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes every morning. This clears up all...
  8. Do I need a third party antivirus software in windows 10?

Do I need a third party antivirus software in windows 10?: Apart from windows security, do I need a third party antivirus eg. - Quick Heal, Norton, avast, kapersky? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-a-third-party-antivirus-software-in/ed944d89-1020-45e2-bf61-66d3c9f1de85
  9. How to start microsoft defender,after I uninstalled the third-party antivirus software?

How to start microsoft defender,after I uninstalled the third-party antivirus software?: How to start microsoft defender,after I uninstalled the third-party antivirus software? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-start-microsoft-defenderafter-i-uninstalled/30952e86-ffb0-4793-a8a7-e5edb9456986
  10. Third-party antivirus alongside Windows defender

Third-party antivirus alongside Windows defender: Noob question, I'm sure it has been asked and answered a million times, but can I run a third party security software while leaving defender active? I had Eset for years with Malwarebytes as backup manual scanner, now with Win10 I'm considering leaving the paid antivirus...