Windows 10: Would this be a Windows 9 Killer

Discus and support Would this be a Windows 9 Killer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows and Linux text editors seem pretty much identical to me except that most Linux versions support tabs and Notepad doesn't (I use "Notepad++" in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Would this be a Windows 9 Killer

I'm talking about editors like Emacs. Not word processors. Emacs wasn't so bad until I needed help. Then I got bogged in the help key bindings. Very frustrating when you go into help to find a key binding but then you can't because you didn't memorize the help key bindings. Back when I was doing it there was one plain text editor that ran on X with bindings very similar to Windows editors. I think it was written in Python. Trouble was it would blow up every so often. Emacs, X-emacs... just unnatural to me. It seemed like anything with Windows like bindings wasn't stable. Stuff like kedit and kmail would blow up frequently. Perhaps they are perfected now though. *Smile

MilesAhead, Sep 18, 2014

2. Back at the turn of 2.0 kernel I would agree. Windows was double click the installer and start using. Linux was expand the package and spend 2 weeks getting it to work right. But the difference was the Linux, once configured, was solid like a rock. Windows you had to keep fixing and fixing and fixing the same programs to keep them working.

You could try a graphical point and click package manager. But I do believe if you totally shun the console in Linux you'll be running a crippled system. Especially stuff like text manipulation and stream editing.. there's stuff you can do in a couple of lines on the console you'd have to write a program to do in Windows. On many forums people want to do complex text substitutions and filtering in Windows. I point them to sed one liner pages and Windows ports of sed and nawk.

MilesAhead, Sep 18, 2014
  3. I don't use KDE.
    I haven't had any issues with Gedit (Ubuntu 10) and Pluma (LM16+).

I use Thunderbird for email.
    It seems to work like it does in Windows.
    Since I find that all email programs are stupidly complicated, I hate it on both platforms. *Biggrin

I find the Man pages are too difficult to use, so I can't be bothered spending the time to work out how to use grep, find, etc..

I get my friend to write Linux scripts when I need something tricky done.
    He's used Linux Distros for ~14 years, so he can write something in a few minutes (it would take me days).

xkcd: tar

lehnerus2000, Sep 18, 2014
  4. adamf Win User

Would this be a Windows 9 Killer

No-one uses email any more man. Don't worry about it.

adamf, Sep 18, 2014
  5. labeeman Win User
    In a windows program that did not work how many weeks would it take to get it to run without the source code? At lease in Linux you can fix it in windows that is a big ?.

labeeman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Would this be a Windows 9 Killer

1. Would this be a Windows 9 Killer - Similar Threads - Killer

2. Bonjour, je n arrive pas à lancer le jeu Killer instinct sur mon pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bonjour, je n arrive pas à lancer le jeu Killer instinct sur mon pc: Bonjour, je n arrive pas à lancer le jeu Killer instinct sur mon pc, que dois je faire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bonjour-je-n-arrive-pas-%C3%A0-lancer-le-jeu/898e3185-b19d-4658-aabf-b0c8a5831500
  3. Bonjour, je n arrive pas à lancer le jeu Killer instinct sur mon pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bonjour, je n arrive pas à lancer le jeu Killer instinct sur mon pc: Bonjour, je n arrive pas à lancer le jeu Killer instinct sur mon pc, que dois je faire? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bonjour-je-n-arrive-pas-%C3%A0-lancer-le-jeu/898e3185-b19d-4658-aabf-b0c8a5831500
  4. I had Killer Intelligence Center on my Dell Alienware PC. Run Windows 11. Killer was...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I had Killer Intelligence Center on my Dell Alienware PC. Run Windows 11. Killer was...: Killer Intelligence Center, service not running. How do I get it to run. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-had-killer-intelligence-center-on-my-dell/ff2a957b-f082-45d0-ab99-33c55d42e5d2
  5. I had Killer Intelligence Center on my Dell Alienware PC. Run Windows 11. Killer was...

I had Killer Intelligence Center on my Dell Alienware PC. Run Windows 11. Killer was...: Killer Intelligence Center, service not running. How do I get it to run. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-had-killer-intelligence-center-on-my-dell/ff2a957b-f082-45d0-ab99-33c55d42e5d2
  6. Fix Intel Killer Driver installation and other errors

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Intel Killer Driver installation and other errors: [IMG]Intel Killer Network Adapters are crafted for gaming laptops and desktops to deliver a gaming experience without lag and interruptions. To harness their full potential, these adapters require precision in their installation, relying on high-performance Intel Killer...
  7. Why doesn't the main CPU killers do not show up on Task Manager!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't the main CPU killers do not show up on Task Manager!: Why is it that the worst CPU and Disk users will not show up in task manager? Not even in Process Explorer... Never have. My Laptop is choked for a while before I can use it on boot up. This has plagued Windows since way back when... but now Windows 11... and 10....
  8. Why doesn't the main CPU killers do not show up on Task Manager!

Why doesn't the main CPU killers do not show up on Task Manager!: Why is it that the worst CPU and Disk users will not show up in task manager? Not even in Process Explorer... Never have. My Laptop is choked for a while before I can use it on boot up. This has plagued Windows since way back when... but now Windows 11... and 10....
  9. Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller wakes my PC from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller wakes my PC from sleep mode: For some reason my PC automatically wakes up from sleep mode on its own. I typed the command powercfg -lastwake into command prompt, and it told me Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller was causing my PC to wake up.I disabled the driver as a fix, but it makes me unable to...
  10. Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller wakes my PC from sleep mode

Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller wakes my PC from sleep mode: For some reason my PC automatically wakes up from sleep mode on its own. I typed the command powercfg -lastwake into command prompt, and it told me Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller was causing my PC to wake up.I disabled the driver as a fix, but it makes me unable to...