Windows 10: Wow - VMware has killed off Shared VMs in VMware Workstation 16

Discus and support Wow - VMware has killed off Shared VMs in VMware Workstation 16 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; One of the great features in VMware workstation was the ability to create Shared VMs. There were several good things about these VMs, only one of which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by hsehestedt, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Wow - VMware has killed off Shared VMs in VMware Workstation 16

One of the great features in VMware workstation was the ability to create Shared VMs. There were several good things about these VMs, only one of which was that they could start automatically without having to log onto the host system.

In VMware Workstation 16 that feature was simply abruptly removed with nothing but a one line sentence in the release notes stating that this feature has reached end of life.

This must have been some sort of knee jerk reaction because they didn't even remove all references to the feature in their version 16 User Guide and a clean install of VMware Workstation still installs the VMware Workstation Server service used for Shared VMs.

I guess that I may be going back to Hyper-V!

:)

hsehestedt, Oct 30, 2020

2. Wow - VMware has killed off Shared VMs in VMware Workstation 16

One of the great features in VMware workstation was the ability to create Shared VMs. There were several good things about these VMs, only one of which was that they could start automatically without having to log onto the host system.

In VMware Workstation 16 that feature was simply abruptly removed with nothing but a one line sentence in the release notes stating that this feature has reached end of life.

This must have been some sort of knee jerk reaction because they didn't even remove all references to the feature in their version 16 User Guide and a clean install of VMware Workstation still installs the VMware Workstation Server service used for Shared VMs.

I guess that I may be going back to Hyper-V!

hsehestedt, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Ghostlex Win User
    VMware Workstation 15 hangs and vmware-vmx is unkillable.

I have installed VMware Workstation 15.0.2 on a Windows 10 Enterprise 18348.19h1 host and am encountering a weird issue. When I start a VM, it doesn't boot but gets stuck on a black window. If I try to force reset it or anything like that, the
    UI for power controls is disabled and if I try to manually kill vmware-vmx.exe, it just won't die. I've tried with Process Hacker and with Task Manager, to no avail. The only way to kill vmware-vmx.exe is to restart my host. The host is a Dell Inspiron 3650
    with an Intel Core i3 6100, 8GBs of DDR3 RAM, a WD Blue 1TB HD and Intel HD Graphics 530. I have also downgraded to VMware Workstation 15.0.1 which also didn't fix the issue. The guest is Ubuntu 18.04, however no matter what OS i'm running in the guest, this
    happens regardless.

Ghostlex, Oct 30, 2020
  4. PKMishra Win User

Wow - VMware has killed off Shared VMs in VMware Workstation 16

Vmware workstation 7 stoped working after upgrade from Win7SP1 to Win10

Upgrade was perfect for all applications. But VMware workstation 7.1.6 went through the upgrade process but the VMs on the machine did not restart giving memory error. Reinstalled the software, VMs still do not start saying the "Authorization Service not
    started. Tried to install latest VMware Player 12, (VMware claims it runs on Win10), even that did not start. Both VMware 7.1.6 and VMware player 12 during installation gave an apparently non-fatal error message pertaining to "IRQL_NOT_LESS_NOT_EQUAL". Running
    Win10 Pro 64-bit with latest updates. Any suggestion to make VMware 7.1.6 work is welcome - PKM

PKMishra, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

Wow - VMware has killed off Shared VMs in VMware Workstation 16

1. Wow - VMware has killed off Shared VMs in VMware Workstation 16 - Similar Threads - Wow VMware has

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Problem with VMware Workstation 16 Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with VMware Workstation 16 Pro: This program was working perfectly fine a few months ago and after updating Windows 10 now is not working. What is the problem? Is there going to be a Fix soon?...
  4. Shared VMs are back (temporarily) in VMware Workstation 16.1.0

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Shared VMs are back (temporarily) in VMware Workstation 16.1.0: In the new release of VMware workstation Pro (16.1.0) , the previously removed feature "Shared VMs" is back. I guess that it wasn't just me that was bent about that feature being removed. VMware states that the feature is deprecated but it will remain through the lifetime of...
  5. Shared VMs are back (temporarily) in VMware Workstation 6.1.0

Shared VMs are back (temporarily) in VMware Workstation 6.1.0: In the new release of VMware workstation Pro (16.1.0) , the previously removed feature "Shared VMs" is back. I guess that it wasn't just me that was bent about that feature being removed. VMware states that the feature is deprecated but it will remain through the lifetime of...
  6. Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12: Quick Overview Building on over 20 years of local virtualization excellence, the latest releases of our favorite virtualization tools deliver some amazing new capabilities for IT Admins, for Developers, and for everyone else. Top of the list is bringing Kubernetes and...
  7. Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12

in Windows 10 Support
    Announcing: VMware Workstation 16 and Fusion 12: Quick Overview Building on over 20 years of local virtualization excellence, the latest releases of our favorite virtualization tools deliver some amazing new capabilities for IT Admins, for Developers, and for everyone else. Top of the list is bringing Kubernetes and...
  8. VmWare Workstation 12.5.9: how to share folders between VMs?

VmWare Workstation 12.5.9: how to share folders between VMs?: Hi all, I need to run a CMD command in a VM that would need the access of Windows folder from another VM. While it is easy to set host folders to be shared with the VM, how to share folders between VMs? *Confused Thank you. 144631
  9. Configure VMware Workstation

Configure VMware Workstation: Hi, Based on a scenario, I have queries as following. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is installed in a Windows 10 Desktop. As guest OS, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are installed in VMware Workstation. I have to do a setup for networking...
  10. vmware workstation 12.5.2

vmware workstation 12.5.2: Hi folks If you are running Linux Hosts this version of VMWARE workstation (and similar release of vmplayer) seems to have fixed problems of "wobbly mouse" etc -- also when scrolling inside the GUEST in windowed mode --I.E Windowed mode WITHIN the guest the scroll is...