Windows 10: write protected error when trying to format usb sticks or sd cards

Discus and support write protected error when trying to format usb sticks or sd cards in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I need some assistance. I have googled the issue and tried to fix it but to no avail. I am running windows 10, I have always been able to format sd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chico1975, Jul 21, 2017.

1. chico1975 Win User

write protected error when trying to format usb sticks or sd cards

I need some assistance. I have googled the issue and tried to fix it but to no avail. I am running windows 10, I have always been able to format sd cards and usb sticks. Now when i try it tells me write protected. This issue ONLY happens when i try to format. I can read, write and delete from the devices with no issue. I have tried the registry fix, verifying the drivers are up to date, and checking for a physical lock (there is none on the usb sticks or sd card). I can put the devices in any other computer, phone, camera, etc. and they work fine, meaning i can format. The issue is directly related to my PC and only my PC the devices are fine. I have no idea why this happened. Every thing was working fine and then all of a sudden the "write protected" error started which is weird that it is only if i want to format. As I stated earlier, I can still read, write and delete from the devices.

:)

chico1975, Jul 21, 2017

2. Write protected MicroSD card

I too have the same problem after an Windows Phone 10 update my SanDisk 2 week old card 120GB now is write protected and cannot be written to I can read all the info just not write to it. Cannot format it, FDISK it or even us 3rd party SDFormater from as
    USB stick still reports write protected. Tried to format with USB adapter micro sd directly inserted into adapter Write Protected. Using an SD Adapter lock turned off -Write Protected..

Microsoft obviously as done something to the Micro SD cards after this last update and this needs to be addressed.

Scott Stratton, Jul 21, 2017
  3. Write protected MicroSD card

After upgrading my 640 XL to Mobile 10 10586.218 from the previous Build, my MicroSD card seemed to become locked and/or write protected.

I noticed this, when apps weren't updating properly in the Windows store after the OS upgrade, backed up the files on my card to my computer, and have tried to format numerous times in my phone, only for it to time out, essentially not do anything.

I removed the card, placed it in a USB MicroSD card reader (came with my Lexar 128GB Card), and have tried using diskpart to remove the write protection, even though it states its successful, but when I try to delete the partition on the card, or try to
    format it, it gives a read only error.

Also tried using MicroSD to SD converter, with the write protect switch off.

Any thing can be read from the card, but nothing will write, any suggestions on formatting or deleting the partition on the MicroSD card?

Tony05091979, Jul 21, 2017
  4. Dude Win User

Welcome to the forums. One more thing you can try...

write protected error when trying to format usb sticks or sd cards [​IMG]

Source

5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 22, 2017
  6. chico1975 Win User
    I have tried diskpart and it looked like it completed fine (didn't kick back any errors) but the issue remains. The issue is not with the physical devices. They work fine everywhere else just not in my machine. I can read, write but not format.

I had a look in the group policy editor and none of the options were enabled. Everything was working fine a few months ago. It seems that after one of the windows updates the issue started happening, but unfortunately i do not know which one.

I have scoured this site and there are a lot of knowledgeable helpful people that are giving great advice with regards to this issue but none of the fixes I have come across fixes my issue. I think I will most like just reinstall windows. Seems like a pain for what i consider a minor issue, but I use a Raspberry PI to run kodi and when it acted up, I just reformatted the SD card and reinstalled LibreELEC. The major problem is that the program to install LibreELEC wipes the SD card first before it installs. The wiping process acts like a format and that is what my PC is not allowing.

chico1975, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. write protected error when trying to format usb sticks or sd cards - Similar Threads - write protected error

2. Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...: ====== What Happened ==========One day when I loaded my 16 Gigabyte microSDHC card, I attempted to format it. There are 5 gigabytes left.It returned a "Disk is write-protected" error:====== What I have Tried =========I have tried Disk Partitioning failed, even though it says...
  3. Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...: ====== What Happened ==========One day when I loaded my 16 Gigabyte microSDHC card, I attempted to format it. There are 5 gigabytes left.It returned a "Disk is write-protected" error:====== What I have Tried =========I have tried Disk Partitioning failed, even though it says...
  4. Write-protected SD card? Tried everything...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SD card write-protection unwanted

SD card write-protection unwanted: I have a micro SD card which suddenly says it is write-protected. I made sure the small tab on the side was in the proper position. I also tried the disk part method but it had no effect on the read only status. I see there's another possible solution by editing the registry,...
  6. SD Card Write Protection

SD Card Write Protection: I've been using my chromebook for modding my Wii u, and now that it's charger broke, I can't do that until I get a new one. The SD card works fine on that, but on my computer, the SD card is locked, no matter what. I've tried the Diskpart method, the RegEdit method, yet...
  7. USB Stick write protected

USB Stick write protected: Hi, my wife got a new laptop and I was setting it up. Install software and moving all her files from the old one to the new one. So I inserted the stick in to the old computer and used drag and drop to copy the files, or better several folders. At one point at about 500 mb...
  8. The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card

The disk is write protected, while trying to format SD card: HI, I tried to format SD card and received a "write protected "message . After that i searched for online solution like: I have edited my registry to remove write protection. I have gone through command prompt and diskpart to attempt to format It goes upto stage of...
  9. USB stick is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB stick is write protected: Hello all, I've buy a USB Stick and formatting. After formatting i copied few files and folder. Next day I can't append more files or folders in to USB Stick. I tried with diskpart to "clean" but get error msg and there is also no entry in entview [ATTACH] Also tried...
  10. Write Protected SD card

Write Protected SD card: Hi, I want to format my SD card on my windows but I get the 'disk is write protected' notification. I tried removing the write protection through the command prompt but when I tried formatting afterwards it still gives the same notification. The SD card is not visible on my...