Windows 10: Write Protected USB

Discus and support Write Protected USB in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Yesterday I just bought a HP 32gb flash drive. And when I tried to connect it with my laptop, immediately It shows a pop up message to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AnumSyeda, Nov 15, 2018.

1. AnumSyeda Win User

Write Protected USB

Hi,

Yesterday I just bought a HP 32gb flash drive. And when I tried to connect it with my laptop, immediately It shows a pop up message to Format the USB first, tried formatting it with the default method (by right clicking and selecting the format option) . then it shows me massage" The USB is write protected" . I have tried several things till now . Creating the registry key of "StorageDevicePolicies" and by "Attributes device clear readonly" but nothing happens , it shows the same message again and again. If their is any other way then please tell me, or if any expert sees this post then kindly guide me may be I have done it wrong .

:)

AnumSyeda, Nov 15, 2018
  2. freebird_9924, Nov 15, 2018
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    USB devices getting write protected

Hi Imdad,

Some removable storage devices like USB flash drives or pen drive have write protection which is designed to help users prevent unexpected data loss by refusing to delete or format.

However, if you’re stuck with a write-protected USB drive that can’t be formatted. We recommend that you follow these steps on how to erase and format a write-protected USB flash drive and pen drive using the Regedit.exe tool in Windows. To do this,
    follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following folder:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the
    write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Nov 15, 2018
  4. Fernandz Win User

Write Protected USB

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

Write Protected USB

1. Write Protected USB - Similar Threads - Write Protected USB

2. USB memory corrupted and write protected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB memory corrupted and write protected: Hello, I have an USB memory which i used to transfer files from a laptop to another and during a transfer the laptop restarted. It became corrupted but I retrieved the files from it. When I plug it in: -it appears in the drives list, -it shows like 5gb of 8 are...
  3. write protect on cd-rw

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    write protect on cd-rw: Hello i have a gamedisk that i want to format. But when i click format disk D: it says the disk is write protected and i want to disable write protect. I tryed to fix it with diskpart in cmd. But no help the CD doesn't show up. it says only 1 disc witch is the system and i...
  4. usb protected against writing error help

in Windows 10 Customization
    usb protected against writing error help: usb protected against writing error help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-protected-against-writing-error-help/52cce591-f864-4574-a7d6-fdd1bd2de65d
  5. The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection: Hi I just join my computer with autopilot and mi HDD of storage don't allow me to write for permission, I try modify permission from properties ->security->advance option and nothing, I try with cmd with the comand diskpart --> attributes disk clear readonly and nothing....
  6. Can't format Write-Protected USB

Can't format Write-Protected USB: I attempted to download a recovery image for my PC so I could reset it. I attempted to reset it from settings, and it said I needed a recovery media. So I downloaded the recovery media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Then I tried again, and...
  7. Remove write protection

Remove write protection: So my harddrive crashed, I replaced it with one from newegg.com however it had no operating system so I bought windows 10 at best buy, it comes on a 16gig usb 3.0 flash drive. I have it all running good it's just that I want to use this flash drive for personal things but I...
  8. USB thumb flash drives are "write protected"

USB thumb flash drives are "write protected": Bought 4 PNY 16GB USB thumb drives and every time I try to format them, the computer kicks back that they are write protected. Have tried ALL the solutions listed and explained in the 10 forums here, and nothing works to disable the write protection on my machine. Tried...
  9. How to write-protect USB pen?

How to write-protect USB pen?: Hi. I'd like to write protect my usb pen drive (Kingston DataTraveler 2.0) but it has got no hardware switch. Is there any way to w/protect it via Windows 10 software? Thank you! Joe 84174
  10. How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?

How to Remove Write-Protection from an OEM USB Drive?: I got a USB drive from HP with Windows 10 as a recovery. I'm trying to remove the write-protect on it and tried many ways but I cant. Is there a way to do it? 75257