Windows 10: Write Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update -...

Discus and support Write Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update -... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So as I use software for music programs then covert to MP3, FLAC, or WAV formats I covert and transfer my project creations/files to a folder to listen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mikey Mate, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Write Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update -...

So as I use software for music programs then covert to MP3, FLAC, or WAV formats I covert and transfer my project creations/files to a folder to listen to after digitizing the music sometimes vinyl of a rare mix or hard to find release 70's or 80's. Strictly Personal Use

My point being during the conversion and sending it to a named folder it usually up until last week February 10th to 14th week 2020 has always worked and completed the conversion process. to a folder on my C drive Music.

Now it gives me a non completed convert saying with an error message - "Can not be created - check to see whether the drive is write protected"

I've also reached out to the software company SOUNDFORGE and awaiting their response. After that I did a complete Clean Install - Wiped/Formatted my drive and then re-loaded everything back on it with minimal programs and the music program along with security program. Updates were also done.

This software I have been using since 2004 and never seen this at all in the entire New Editions or Updates of the Software. Used about 2 weeks ago and worked fine!! Yes ! I have gone into security on the C drive and added Everyone with all the possible boxes checked so there is no blocks or denials.

If any body can help thank you very much in advance !!

MikeWrite Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update -... [​IMG]

:)

Mikey Mate, Feb 16, 2020

2. hard drive not accessible stating "The media is write protected."

Hello,

I sent an external hard drive to a tape backup company.

The company stated that the drive is not accessible with the error message, "The media is write protected."

Any suggestions?

williamj

williamj78, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Gettign error "device is write protected" for External Hard drive in Windows 10

Hello Neil,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Are you getting the same error when you access the External Hard drive on another computers?

When you see the message "Device is Write Protected", then it indicates that you have limited set of privileges for performing operation on the Hard disk. In simple, you're not allowed to write the drive, apart from reading it. This because the drive is
    write-protected. Suggest you to try with the below steps and check it they help you.

1. Right-click on Start button and select Command Prompt(Admin).

2. Type diskpart and press Enter.

3. Now type list volume and press Enter. Now see the volume number the external drive.

4. Then type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive which is showing "write-protected" error. Example,
    select volume 3.

5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.

• Executing the above command line will reset the Hard drive USB's properties by clearing the Read-Only behavior, so that it is no longer read-only.
    6. Type exit and press Enter. Now check if it allows you do access the drive for writing the content.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Feb 16, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Write Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update -...

hard drive not accessible stating "The media is write protected."

Hi William, not a good sign . . .

Have you tried plugging that hard drive into a non-Windows 10 PC and see if you can access/copy files on/to it?

Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter:

diskpart

Run this command and hit Enter (Note down the disk number of that disc):

list disk

Run this command and hit Enter (replace DiskNo with the disc number noted earlier):

select disk DiskNo

Run this command and hit Enter:

attributes disk clear readonly

Close Command Prompt when that command completes

Check if the drive is still write protected!

DaveM121, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Write Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update -...

1. Write Protection On PC Hard Drives - Denied Access Worked Before Feb 11th 2020 Update -... - Similar Threads - Write Protection Hard

2. How to gain access to write protected external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to gain access to write protected external hard drive: I've tried a few methods such as setting permissions and using the command prompt but can't seem to gain permissions for this drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-gain-access-to-write-protected-external/c4b5f849-4b19-4515-8666-ddab71f4a55e
  3. How to gain access to write protected external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to gain access to write protected external hard drive: I've tried a few methods such as setting permissions and using the command prompt but can't seem to gain permissions for this drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-gain-access-to-write-protected-external/c4b5f849-4b19-4515-8666-ddab71f4a55e
  4. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  5. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  6. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  7. Hard drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive is write protected: How do I remove write protection from by hard drive used for file backups? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-is-write-protected/ec396705-cfcf-42aa-a095-6bfccafbb251
  8. Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Deny Write Access to Fixed Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can set a policy that configures whether BitLocker protection is required for a computer to be able to write data to fixed data drives. All fixed data drives that are not BitLocker-protected will be mounted as Read-only. If the [...] This post Deny Write...
  9. Deny Write Access to Fixed Data Drives not Protected by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deny Write Access to Fixed Data Drives not Protected by BitLocker: How to: Deny Write Access to Fixed Data Drives not Protected by BitLocker Allow or Deny Write Access to Fixed Data Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block...
  10. Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker: How to: Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker Allow or Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block...