Windows 10: Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON

Discus and support Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Movie titles is a great example, if you got 3 files, Lord of the Ring Lord of the Ring 2 Lord of the Ring 3 and turn ON "show file extensions",... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by awebmate123, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON

Movie titles is a great example, if you got 3 files,

Lord of the Ring

Lord of the Ring 2

Lord of the Ring 3

and turn ON "show file extensions", then it sorts like this:

Lord of the Ring 2.mp4

Lord of the Ring 3.mp4

Lord of the Ring.mp4

This happens because Windows by mistake consider the file extension a part of the file name.

As " " comes before ".", this results in wrong sorting.

How Microft can make such an embarrassing mistake or, even worse, decision, is beyond me.

Now the question is: How do we make Microsoft FIX IT???

:)

awebmate123, Jan 14, 2019

2. Wrong alphabetical sort in windows explorer - NOT a numerical/literal matter

I just found the cause of the problem, which raises a new question.

It turns out that when you turn "show file extensions" on, the extension is considered to be a part of the filename.

As 'space' comes before 'dot', it results in wrong sorting. With "show file extensions" off, it sorts correctly.

Now my question is: are there any way to make the sort routine ignore the file extension with "show file extension" on?

awebmate123, Jan 14, 2019
  3. sorting jpg files

Hi

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you let us know, are you trying to sort in files in Explorer or Photos app?

If you are sorting in explorer, follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open the folder in which files are stored.
    2. Right click on empty space of window.
    3. Select Sort by and click on
      Type

If you are trying to sort in Photos app by extension, we would suggest you to provide your feedback in
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app
    as there is no option available to sort by extension in the app. However you can sort by Modified, Newest, Oldest, and Alphabetical.

If you want to look only for the files with .jpg extension in photos app, you may type
    *.jpg in the search bar.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Jan 14, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON

Possible to search for duplicate titles that have different extensions

My previous post answered the question you asked in your original post, about how to search files with multiple extensions.

If you instead of that only want an alphabetical list and see if a title is present with both PDF and EPUB extensions, then simply set View preference to details, sort the folder by name, and show file extensions:

Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)
    Now your File Explorer will show an alphabetically sorted list. Browse the list to find duplicates.

Thema:

Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON

1. Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON - Similar Threads - Wrong alphabetical sort

2. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wrong sorting in explorer: Sorting in explorer is wrongAnyone can solve it?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-sorting-in-explorer/ac70ff36-35f3-40bc-8f78-c3f5851046c1
  3. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wrong sorting in explorer: Sorting in explorer is wrongAnyone can solve it?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-sorting-in-explorer/ac70ff36-35f3-40bc-8f78-c3f5851046c1
  4. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sorting by name in explorer Win11 gets the alphabet wrong.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting by name in explorer Win11 gets the alphabet wrong.: For some reason sorting by name put Y between I and J, instead of between X and Z. It does not matter where in the word the Y is, it follows the same rule as stated. For example: craze -> crier -> cryo -> crone. It there a setting or a fix for this?...
  6. Sorting by name in explorer Win11 gets the alphabet wrong.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sorting by name in explorer Win11 gets the alphabet wrong.: For some reason sorting by name put Y between I and J, instead of between X and Z. It does not matter where in the word the Y is, it follows the same rule as stated. For example: craze -> crier -> cryo -> crone. It there a setting or a fix for this?...
  7. File explorer sorting Wrong

File explorer sorting Wrong: I updated to Windows 10, version 21H1My files are sorting wrong. When listed ascending by name, it puts names that are "the same but longer" before the "plain" name. It used to be like this picture below:I need it the old way. When I have a bunch of files of "the same but...
  8. Alphabetical File Sorting Issue??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alphabetical File Sorting Issue??: [ATTACH] I have my game shortcuts all in one folder, and when it comes to games with sequels or expansions, the sequels are always listed before the original. I would imagine that in the case of Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite, they would be in that order. But...
  9. File explorer sorts my folders in documents alphabetically

File explorer sorts my folders in documents alphabetically: but I don't want them to be split into 3 columns of A-H, I-P and Q-Z. I want them to be in one list without being divided up. It isn't necessary in my book anyway!. Thanks for any help....
  10. Windows explorer sorting in REVERSE alphabetical order.

Windows explorer sorting in REVERSE alphabetical order.: For a few days I can't remember when I last restarted or updated my PC, my file explorer has been sorting the contents of my folders wrong. It correctly places files before folders when I sort by NAME>Descending, but the file and folder names are in reverse alphabetical...