Windows 10: Wrong display on startup

Discus and support Wrong display on startup in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I use two monitors, but the wrong one has the display when I start the computer. Monitor 1 is at the left and monitor 2 at the right, in front of me.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by ritagoldberg, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Wrong display on startup

I use two monitors, but the wrong one has the display when I start the computer. Monitor 1 is at the left and monitor 2 at the right, in front of me. Although monitor 2 is designated as the main display, when the computer starts up, a display appears only on monitor 1, and monitor 2 remains dark. I then restart the computer using the options on the lock screen on monitor 1. Now monitor 2 works and is the main screen, just as I wish. Monitor 1 also shows but without being the main screen.

Why is this happening? How can I fix this so that monitor 2 has a display on startup?

:)

ritagoldberg, Nov 13, 2016

2. wrong user at startup

Yes, Douglas. Reinstalling your Windows 10 operating system will remove all the user accounts on your device. Make sure to back up your files before you proceed. For your reference, see

Back up and restore your files

To guide you on how to reinstall Windows 10, kindly check out this
    link

Looking forward to get this issue resolved.

If you have other inquiries, don't hesitate to get back to us anytime.

Catherine Cus., Nov 13, 2016
  3. wrong user at startup

I ran lusrmgr.msc The user I wish to delete, theco, does not appear, so I am not able to delete it.

Please advise,

Thanks

DouglasCosentino, Nov 13, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Wrong display on startup

I really hate to ask but is it the same situation if you swap the monitor data cables with each other? Could be the wrong port is being initialized first or maybe there is a priority setting of the video ports in the BIOS.

Berton, Nov 13, 2016
  5. I've had this problem for a long time and think I tried your suggestion several weeks ago-- but I'll try it again. Thanks.

ritagoldberg, Nov 13, 2016
  6. It sounds like that monitor isn't being detected on boot up so it defaults to the only one its seeing? Have you tried swapping the positions of the two monitors, at least just as a test?

alphanumeric, Nov 16, 2016
  7. Yes, when I first boot up only monitor 1 (at the left) is detected). When I restart the computer both monitors are detected. Unfortunately, I can't change the position--I assume you mean of the cables--because they are different. Monitor 1 uses Dvid and monitor 2 is mDP. Should I get a Dvid to HDmi cable for monitor 1 and use that instead or perhaps devise some other connection for Monitor 2? I did some cable switching a few weeks ago, but that didn't help.

ritagoldberg, Nov 18, 2016
  8. Wrong display on startup

Yes I mean the cables. If it was an easy swap it you could test to see if the issue follows the monitor. I was hoping you won't have to buy another cable or adapter. I'll leave the extra expense up to you to decide to do it or not? Doing the monitor swap may or may not prove anything so judge acordingly.

alphanumeric, Nov 18, 2016
  9. I bought a new cable that connects the DVI-d port on the monitor to an HDMI port on the computer. It works! Now both monitors function correctly and monitor 1 is the main monitor and monitor 2 is the secondary monitor. They had been reversed. Is the old cable defective? Is the DVI-d port on the computer defective? Is there indeed a priority order of video ports in the BIOS? Who knows? Everything now works as it should, and I'm happy. Many thanks to both of you for your help.

ritagoldberg, Nov 22, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Graphic cards have order in which they activate monitors. Usually Didplay port, HDMI, DVI, in that order. In windows you can change order but not during BIOS P.O.S.T. faze. That's hard written into it's BIOS.

CountMike, Nov 22, 2016
  11. My BIOS post screen shows on my monitor connected to DVI. My HDMI monitor is set to be my main monitor. The POST and Windows LOGO show on my no 2 monitor then everything moves over to my main monitor when the Lock screen comes up. Then once the Windows desktop loads all 3 monitors light up. My Video cards BIOS decides which monitor gets the BIOS POST screen. Any 1 monitor plugged into any 1 port and its all on that one monitor. As soon as I add a second monitor things can get shuffled around. The BIOS POST screen will move from one monitor to another when I add a monitor without me changing any settings. It had me scratching my head at first until I realized the Video card was doing it and It wasn't something I could change.

alphanumeric, Nov 22, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    I have 3 monitors to one GPU. BIOS shows on HDMI (#1) and one of DVI (#2) connectors. Once windows start BOOTing and drivers kick in it gets shuffled, only monitor that doesn't show in BIOS becomes Main desktop. On second Windows (W7) in dual BOOT #2 and #3 are reversed by default so I have to switch it in the driver.

CountMike, Nov 22, 2016
  13. Wrong display on startup

I also have 3 to the one GPU, HDMI, DVI, DVI. The one on HDMI Windows shows as No.1, the two on DVI are shown as 2 and 3. My post shows on the NO. 2 monitor. If I unplug NO.2 the post moves to one of the other two, the other DVI I think? The actual physical layout on my GPU, from top to bottom is HDMI, DVI, DVI. The bottom most DVI port (closest to the motherboard) is the one the post shows on and the one Windows shows as monitor no 2. Scratches head? lol.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Wrong display on startup

1. Wrong display on startup - Similar Threads - Wrong display startup

2. wrong account at startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wrong account at startup.: I recently got a new computer with Windows 11. At start up it gave me the option to link to my old computer and migrate the files over. There are several computers on my network and i chose the wrong one. It was the one my office assistant uses and the computer names are very...
  3. wrong account at startup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wrong account at startup.: I recently got a new computer with Windows 11. At start up it gave me the option to link to my old computer and migrate the files over. There are several computers on my network and i chose the wrong one. It was the one my office assistant uses and the computer names are very...
  4. Error Displaying At The Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Displaying At The Startup: At the Startup Of My Computer It Always Display 'Windows Cannot Find iGFXPMModuleWebHelper.exe'.And A CMD Error 'The Windows Cannot Find The Path Specified' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-displaying-at-the-startup/cff8a9f5-23f0-440b-9d52-c033693a6dea
  5. Wrong Caption for Startup Image

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Caption for Startup Image: Do these look like glaciers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-caption-for-startup-image/bbc1668f-b0eb-40db-9302-32f03bc9f2c6
  6. There are no startup items to display

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    There are no startup items to display: My startup in my task manager had been emptied for some reason. I have seen this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/task-manager-startup-there-are-no-startup-items-to/f1933c63-cf8c-4f2e-ab8f-1c7b234c44b4 But I got no Programs folder. I...
  7. Wrong Display Resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong Display Resolution: TLDR: Windows 10 won't show proper display resolution. 1920x1080 resolution shows up and shows applied, but is not actually applied. Google Search not helping. OG: Windows 10 will not display 1080p resolution and I am at a loss for what to do. I have uninstalled and...
  8. Displaying in Wrong Resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Displaying in Wrong Resolution: I have a monitor which displays 1440x900 but when I go into settings to try to change the resolution, it only gives me a few options, non of which are the correct resolution. This results in an incorrect aspect ratio and stretching. I've tried uninstalling the display adapter...
  9. There are no startup item to display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    There are no startup item to display: [ATTACH] Hey guys, I need help with startup item not showing It was started when i'm trying to cleanup start app folder, and now this happened, i just noticed it a while ago...
  10. The wrong font is displaying.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The wrong font is displaying.: Dear Microsoft & Users, I am experiencing this specifically on my Laptop, i've tried it on different computers, its working fine on others but not in mine. System Details :- Lenovo Z-51, Windows 10 [ATTACH]...