Windows 10: Wrong file properties when folder contains files exceeding 255 character

Discus and support Wrong file properties when folder contains files exceeding 255 character in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So it has been almost 10 months with this problem, any news about it? Are the developers working on it? To me it looks like a silly and easy error to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Fäbe, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Fäbe Win User

Wrong file properties when folder contains files exceeding 255 character

So it has been almost 10 months with this problem, any news about it? Are the developers working on it?

To me it looks like a silly and easy error to fix.

I mean i understand that the OS has problems with long file names, but in the past it just skipped those files, now it seems to just stop from further reading.

I've updated to 1809 [Version 10.0.17763.195] and the problem still exists.

This is absolute critical if one asks me.

I mean how can i trust windows when it can't even show me the total amount of files in a folder?

Absolute basic stuff from a 2018 operating system.

So far found only a few threads and all are closed "Microsoft is working on it" since 10 Months.

Thanks,

:)

Fäbe, Jan 1, 2019
  2. Darknova Win User

Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

You can't have a pathname more than 255 characters long. That includes ALL containing folders.

That's why I think 99% of people need to be re-taught how to zip things up.

"Can't extract, file patch exceeds 255 characters."

*sigh*

Darknova, Jan 1, 2019
  3. dazzagil Win User
    Conditional searches for folder that contain a specfic combantion of file extenisions

Cab anyone help with the following problem

I have about 1,000 book folders that contain either1, 2 or 3 files with the extensions OPF , JPG and EPUB.

What I would like to do is a search on the folders that would list all those folders that contain OPF and JPG file extensions only. if it contains a file with the .EPUB extension I want the search to ignore the folder.

I've tried using the Search box in File Explorer with Boolean Logic (AND NOT OR) with no joy and I've tried regular expression but having trouble getting my head around how to set the expression.

If anyone could help by suggesting a solution or even a file search program it would be appreciated.

If posted in wrong area please tell me and I will move it

dazzagil, Jan 1, 2019
  4. ex_reven Win User

How can I lock files?

or you could easily just hide the folder for easy access.

Rename the folder "alt (hold it down) 255"
    It should be renamed with nothing, it will just be the icon.

Then select "no icon" from the icon list in the folders properties box.
    Noone will know its there, but if you click on the screen where it is you will be able to access it *Big Grin Wrong file properties when folder contains files exceeding 255 character :D. Its good because it doesnt require you to constantly type in passwords and such every time you want to get in. Just chuck it in a directory noone will ever touch like C:/Program files/xerox or something

ex_reven, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Wrong file properties when folder contains files exceeding 255 character - Similar Threads - Wrong file properties

2. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Name should not contain special character: File Name should not contain special character https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-should-not-contain-special-character/33c60b93-6eaf-431c-a6e7-241edde7e640
  3. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Name should not contain special character: File Name should not contain special character https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-should-not-contain-special-character/33c60b93-6eaf-431c-a6e7-241edde7e640
  4. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wrong file size in Properties

Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  6. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  7. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name

Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name: Hello,I am tring to google and find how to make, that my path name and file name can exceed 255 MAX characters. I found 2 solutions. With reg edit The registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD must...
  9. Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters: Hi, Windows updates seems to be creating file pathnames greater than 255 characters on my laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit . They are in the c:\windows\Softwaredistribution.bak\. . . folder . Some of the files' pathnames are coming in at 281 characters! Surely...
  10. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders: Hi! This is my first thread post. I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read...