Windows 10: Wrong file size in Properties

Discus and support Wrong file size in Properties in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChristianZilmer, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Wrong file size in Properties

Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a bug in one of windows' most basic and oldest features? Thanks!

:)

ChristianZilmer, Jan 9, 2022
  2. wvbirdman Win User

File Explorer shows wrong folder size

I think the issue is solved. The problem of File Explorer Properties showing greatly reduced folder size was present in my Documents folder and my two most used folders under Documents. Looking at the TLPD results I noticed that along with the 17,000 results from the folders "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and "C:\Users\[me]\AppData", there were about 4 results from each of these two most used folders. I went to those files in the first folder and shortened the names to well below 255 characters. Then File Explorer Properties showed the correct folder size (that is to say the same size as Tree Size Free shows), but Documents folder size was still wrong. Then I went to the second of these two folders and carefully did the same fix. Now File Explorer Properties folder size is correct for this folder and is correct for Documents.

Documents and both of these folders are present in my Quick access. Before this fix, I noticed that if I checked folder size in File Explorer, I got the wrong size whether I used the left pane under Quick access, or the right pane; but if I hovered over the folder in question in the right pane, the pop-up showed the correct size. I don't know if either of these are pertinent to the original problem.

Strangely, the wrong folder size problem never appeared in the two folders for which TLPD returned 99% of it's results: "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and "C:\Users\[me]\AppData". File Explorer Properties and Tree Size Free always agreed.

So I guess that if you want your File Explorer Properties to work correctly, you must run TLPD occasionally and rename any long file names under Documents; or carefully avoid long names.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem or an easier fix would be appreciated.

Thanks for everybody's help.

wvbirdman, Jan 9, 2022
  3. Properties shows wrong size for files and folder

I went through both methods (thanks alot for the help BTW) and retested the same pictures drive again, with both methods again

Method 1 - right clicking on the folder...selecting properties, and reading the size on disk it reports

Method 2 - opening up the folder, clicking inside the search bar and selecting *.* which shows every file and folder inside + all subdirectories. Confirmed theres no "grouping" its all just listed together. Select all files (control A) then right click and
    select properties...and reading the size on disk it reports

Same results Im afraid. I retested another folder on a physically different hard drive using the same test - and also came up with ridiculously contradicting claims on how much data is in there

Interesting hey Test 1 = 142Gig VS 386Gig

Test 2 on a seperate HDD (physically seperate drive) 669Gig VS 184Gig

Wrong file size in Properties f6bb6b91-a6f3-46cc-ac99-fdaa821acb46.jpg

Wrong file size in Properties 31ce51bd-4b68-450b-a5d2-ce7126e623a6.jpg

sdfgaesftgeawrtawe, Jan 9, 2022
  4. Wrong file size in Properties

Properties shows wrong size for files and folder

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Was it showing the exact size before? If yes, then how long have you been facing this issue?
    • Does it display the size of other files/folders correctly?
    Let’s try simple troubleshooting methods and check if this helps. Follow the below method.

Method 1: I suggest you to run system maintenance troubleshooter and check if this helps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting on the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on view all and click on
      System maintenance.

• Click on Advanced on the System maintenance dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    If the issue still persist, try the below method.

Method 2: I suggest you to boot the system in Clean boot state and check if the issue still persist.
    Clean boot process will help you determine which third party program/app that is causing this issue. It could be some other application or programs, which runs on the computer at the background, leading to this issue. Please visit the below link
    on how to perform Clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, Jan 9, 2022
Thema:

Wrong file size in Properties

1. Wrong file size in Properties - Similar Threads - Wrong file size

2. Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties": I'm downloading about 2,500 pictures and videos from my Onedrive to my HDD. When I looked in Windows Explorer/Properties, the size of all the files came to about 75GB ignoring size on disk as they are all in the cloud. When I started to copy them, the "Items Remaining" info...
  3. Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties": I'm downloading about 2,500 pictures and videos from my Onedrive to my HDD. When I looked in Windows Explorer/Properties, the size of all the files came to about 75GB ignoring size on disk as they are all in the cloud. When I started to copy them, the "Items Remaining" info...
  4. Windows File Property got wrong Video Size from 1080x1920 to 1920x1080

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Property got wrong Video Size from 1080x1920 to 1920x1080: I shot a video from android phone ,its 1080x1920 size video.Copy to Windows 10File-Property-Detail info shows the Frame Width 1920, Height 1080When I use Windows Picture open the video see the size is 1080x1920. Some applications play wrong with 1920x1080. How to correct the...
  5. Windows File Property got wrong Video Size from 1080x1920 to 1920x1080

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Property got wrong Video Size from 1080x1920 to 1920x1080: I shot a video from android phone ,its 1080x1920 size video.Copy to Windows 10File-Property-Detail info shows the Frame Width 1920, Height 1080When I use Windows Picture open the video see the size is 1080x1920. Some applications play wrong with 1920x1080. How to correct the...
  6. Windows File Property got wrong Video Size from 1080x1920 to 1920x1080

7. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  8. Wrong file size in Properties

Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  9. Wrong file size displayed

Wrong file size displayed: [ATTACH] I am getting this in my F drive. I updated windows, scanned it using Windows Defender Offline scan but still it's appearing like this. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-file-size-displayed/7d4b0e10-4611-4f3b-a497-abdc51e4c306"
  10. Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option

Windows 10 showing wrong size of folder in properties option: hi, i am having problem with the properties option. i am using windows 10 and just encountered a problem. i was checking the size of one of my folder (in terms of checking how much space it occupies on hard drive). i got some figure around 60.04 GB. just to cross verify i...