Windows 10: Wrong hard drive boots

Discus and support Wrong hard drive boots in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by EiGuth, May 9, 2022.

1. EiGuth Win User

Wrong hard drive boots

I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?

:)

EiGuth, May 9, 2022

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, May 9, 2022
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, May 9, 2022
  4. Wrong hard drive boots

little cat, May 9, 2022
Thema:

Wrong hard drive boots

1. Wrong hard drive boots - Similar Threads - Wrong hard drive

2. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  3. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  4. Boot Manager in wrong drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Manager in wrong drive: At work I'm trying to install windows 10 on a really old pc with no uefi support, usb drives can't be booted, my boss had the idea to make a spare ssd we have into a boot drive to install windows (in place of usb boot drive), it worked now windows is installed on the drive we...
  5. Boot Sector on Wrong Drive

Boot Sector on Wrong Drive: Recently I bought and SSD to upgrade from my HDD. I had window installed on the HDD and when I went to install windows on the SSD, I didn't unplug the HDD so windows assigned the boot sector for the SSD to the HDD. Now I want to delete the windows installation from my SSD,...
  6. The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.

The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.: I upgraded from a 120GB SSD to a 250GB SSD. When I installed the system image it said I only have about 5GB left as if it was the 120GB hard drive. How do I partition this to show the right storage amount? submitted by /u/nwl5 [link] [comments]...
  7. Boot manager booting to the wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot manager booting to the wrong drive: Hello, Awhile back, with the help of this community, I was able to reimage my computer from an older SSD to a new M.2. The older SSDs were fine, I just wanted to update to a M.2. I would now like to format the old drives and use them as storage. I've read that I can do this...
  8. Boot manager on wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot manager on wrong drive: I just replaced the HDD in this desktop PC with an ssd, but both drives were connected when I installed windows on the SSD. For some idiotic reason it requires BOTH drives to boot to the SSD. Is there any way to fix this without having to reinstall windows all over again?...
  9. Windows on wrong hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows on wrong hard drive: Please read full thing before posting answers: My PC is connected to two hard drives: one with 27.4 GB and one with 465 GB. The windows software and all it's updates are being stored on the 27.4 GB hard drive. However it is nearly 2.75 GB left so there is no room for...
  10. computer boots wrong hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    computer boots wrong hard drive: My wife's computer has started once in awhile to try and boot from the d:\ drive. We turn off the computers at night. Some mornings when I turn on her computer I get the _ flashing in the upper corner of the monitor. When I reboot and go into the setup. I go to the boot...