Windows 10: Wrong icon on a folder and its contents. How to change.

Discus and support Wrong icon on a folder and its contents. How to change. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; FreeFileSync is a respected and efficient freeware/donationware for carrying out backups of changed files (eg., documents, pictures etc.). My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stevekir, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Stevekir Win User

Wrong icon on a folder and its contents. How to change.

FreeFileSync is a respected and efficient freeware/donationware for carrying out backups of changed files (eg., documents, pictures etc.).

My FreeFileSync profiles (which specify how changed files will be copied to the backup) now have Photoshop icons, both the enclosing folder and all its profile files! (I don't know why.) They run OK provided I run them from within FreeFileSync, but if I double click them in the Finder they open in Photoshop which rejects them. The file type should be *.ffs_gui which continues to be explicitly specified by FFS every time in its save dialogue box: "Save as type: (*.ffs_gui)". Despite that, the icons continue to be for Photoshop.

I have deleted the old (troublesome) profile folder, uninstalled FFS, restarted the computer, re-installed FFS from their site and created a new folder which has the default yellow folder icon. I then created new freshly written profile files in FFS with new names but as soon as I save the first one the folder's icon immediately changes to Photoshop, also the profile files. Therefore it seems clear that FFS is specifying the wrong filetype despite its save dialogue box explicitly specifying *.ffs_gui every time.

I will need to contact FFS, but one way would be to create and save a complete set of fresh profiles (which would have the Photoshop icon and filetype) and then change their file types to *.ffs_gui and the folder icon to the default yellow, without saving any new FFS profile files. How could I do that please (I expect there is a routine in Windows to do that).

Thanks.

:)

Stevekir, Jul 12, 2016
  2. maxipes6 Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Folder Icon

1. No. Folder can be empty or contain anything. Content is without change.

2. When I change folder icon, its attributes change to "RD". When I copy this folder, new folder have default icon and attributes only "D". Then I change attributes with CMD or some other program folder to "RD", icon automatically change back to mine.

maxipes6, Jul 12, 2016
  3. gaerisch Win User
    Folder Veiws

How do you change the folder views to medium icons for all the folders at once? I know I can change the view for individual folders and its contents to show medium icons. But I have to do it one folder at a time! I want to change my music folders and
    files to show medium icons all the time, weather its a folder or a file. I do not like the details view. I know there was a way in Windows 7, But in Windows 10 there doesn't seem to be a way to do all of them at once. I like to see the folders with an album
    cover on it and the individual files in that folder also show the album cover, with the name of the song on the bottom. I know once you change the views it stays that way unless you change it again.

gaerisch, Jul 12, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Clear the Icon Cache. The other problem that can happen is that if you are using a Live profile, any information saved on Microsoft's servers can reload the wrong Icons, so turn off sync, until you reboot.

In Windows 10, you need to do the following. If you needed to rebuild the Icon cache in Windows 7 / 8, you needed to do the following: Open File Explorer > Folder Options > Views to show Hidden System Files. Next, go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local folder and delete the hidden IconCache.db file. Reboot.

bro67, Jul 12, 2016
  5. Stevekir Win User
    I deleted IconCache.db and rebooted but no luck. Any other suggestions?

Also, what is "Live Profile" and how to "turn off sync". Thanks.

Stevekir, Jul 12, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    A live profile is what Microsoft is using for Windows 8 & 10 to allow you to have a "Roaming Profile". Turning off profile sync is done in Settings.

If clearing the cache and rebooting is not working, then I would check and see if others are having the same problem with the program that you are using.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Wrong icon on a folder and its contents. How to change. - Similar Threads - Wrong icon folder

2. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New content appearing in wrong documents folder: I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D --...
  3. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New content appearing in wrong documents folder: I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D --...
  4. Folder changes contents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folder changes contents: I was working on something and created a folder with .mp4 files inside. However, after shutting down my pc and turning it back on it, all the contents in the folder disappeared and there was just one .mp4 that i knew existed on my system, but i did not put it there. I use...
  5. How to clear a folder's icon when its contents are cleared out

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to clear a folder's icon when its contents are cleared out: If I create a folder and put a shortcut to it on the desktop, the icon just looks like an empty folder. If I put videos into the folder, the shortcut's icon changes to show part of the video thumbnail. When I remove the video from the folder, that icon does not revert to the...
  6. how to change the folder icon?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to change the folder icon?: does anyone know how to change the default folder icon? my point is that if I change and create a new folder, the icon will be changed. thanks in advance! submitted by /u/milebaa [link] [comments]...
  7. Leave the icon of folders with contents unchanged?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Leave the icon of folders with contents unchanged?: In Windows 10, you have the normal folder icons that change when the folder is full, so you can more or less see the files in it. Is there a way to prevent this icon change when the folder fills up? Icon von Ordner mit Inhalten unverändert lassen?
  8. How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?

How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?: is it possible? or does Anyone knows how i change those Icons there? (marked RED).. I want to change them systemwide not one by one.. if that is possible, like changing the ICO in the DLLs for example, but i couldnt find this ICO in any of those DLLs.. Anyone knows wich ico...
  9. Difference in size of a folder with its contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference in size of a folder with its contents: Hello to all, I have a folder Documents and when I check its properties, Windows 10 x64 shows ~13 GB as its size. But when go within it and select all contents and check for properties (from the context menu) it shows ~3 GB as all of its contents' size. I also checked the...
  10. Unable to change folder icons + folders showing the wrong icons

Unable to change folder icons + folders showing the wrong icons: Hello! So I just signed up here because I'm desperate and don't know what to do. So basically, I thought the windows 10 default folder icons were pretty bland and ugly so I decided to change them. I read that you could change your default icons by going into to registry...