Windows 10: Wrong icons showing in Details view

Discus and support Wrong icons showing in Details view in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm seeing incorrect icons displayed under Windows 10 for certain executable files when viewed in Windows 10 Explorer in Details view. If I change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Thenin, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Thenin Win User

Wrong icons showing in Details view

I'm seeing incorrect icons displayed under Windows 10 for certain executable files when viewed in Windows 10 Explorer in Details view. If I change the folder view to Thumbnails, the correct icon is shown, but if I switch back to Details view they're still displayed incorrectly.

I have repeatedly tried resetting the icon cache and re-opening the folders, but that doesn't help.

Is this a known Windows 10 bug? I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.674)

:)

Thenin, Jan 12, 2018

2. in windows 10, I cannot find how to sort files by DETAILS as was offered in previous windows versions. I can sort the whole pictures list, but not file folders.

There's a few ways to accomplish this:

• On the View tab at the top of the folder, click "Details"

or
    • At the very bottom-right corner, click the "Show Details" (there's only two icons at the bottom right, it's the one with the smaller icons inside it).

or
    • Right-click an empty blank spot, point to "View" and then pick Details.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 12, 2018
  3. Problem in showing files in the View various options ( View list)

Hi,

When I choose how show the View Files
    various options (such as small icons, medium icons, List, ...)
    and then enter the same drive, I see the
    default file Details View show!!!

If you know a guide that
    is correct. Thank you

afshinbahramy, Jan 12, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

Yes, that happens, mostly with programs that store icons in a .dll file instead in .exe.

CountMike, Jan 12, 2018
  5. Thenin Win User
    Thanks for your reply. Although in this case they're all .exes rather than .dlls, your comment still applies.

It turns out that rebooting fixes the problem. That seems ridiculous to me! You didn't need to reboot Win 7 for Explorer to show the correct icons. That's a bug in my opinion.

Or is there an alternative fix? After all, there's obviously some specific change, such as reloading icons in Explorer, that the reboot brings about. Resetting the icon cache doesn't fix it by itself, but perhaps there's an alternative or additional action that will solve it without a reboot? Next time I'll try force-exiting all copies of Explorer...

Thenin, Jan 12, 2018
  6. CountMike New Member
    Well, yes, W10 requires rebooting after most changes but I practiced that in older windows too.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Wrong icons showing in Details view - Similar Threads - Wrong icons showing

2. Wrong account details

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wrong account details: My account on my windows 10 laptop is still linked somehow to my old email address.When ever i need to access the store it asks for the password to the old account, even though my account details are all update.If i choose the option for forgotten password it wants to send...
  3. hidden icons shows the wrong icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hidden icons shows the wrong icons: all my apps are shown as windows icons what to do to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-icons-shows-the-wrong-icons/81811e57-c7b6-45ab-a322-423ba27e939c
  4. Details View option

in Windows 10 Customization
    Details View option: In the view of the directories in Windows 10 there are a lot of different options, Large, Medium, Small... My problem is that I want to make "Details" view of my files larger. Meaning that all the info should stay there, and also listed in a "Details" view row with the...
  5. Add details to files in the detail view

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add details to files in the detail view: Hello. I have a folder, "Invoices," that has a few different file types in it. The files are invoices that I get from vendors, normally as email attachments. I have over 100 vendors and I get the invoices as PDF's, Excel, or Word. I drag and drop the email attachment to...
  6. possible to show folder SIZE in details view?

in Windows 10 Support
    possible to show folder SIZE in details view?: Feels crazy that this doesn't happen automatically, but it doesn't seem to in ANY version of windows. When I look at the details view, the size column is empty for folders. Of course if I right click the folder and choose "properties", a dialog box will show me the total of...
  7. Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Non-square images no longer show thumbnails in Small Icons or Details view in File Explorer: In some previous build (earlier builds of 1809 worked) I was able to see thumbnails for JPGs and PNGs at even the smallest icon sizes in File Explorer. Since I updated to the latest 1809, and then subsequently 1903, only perfectly square images show thumbnails. Non-square...
  8. Cortana Search shows wrong icons .....more details in thread ...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Search shows wrong icons .....more details in thread ...: please see attachment *Smile i had changed my icon of "this pc"" to a custom one and then i restored it back to default now when i search in cortana for example i write "this pc" in the box and it shows up with the custom icon instead of the default "this pc" icon....i hope...
  9. Is it possible to customize icon size in "details" view in explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it possible to customize icon size in "details" view in explorer?: Hi, I just upgraded from W8.1 to W10 and it looks like the icons got smaller by default in the "details" view in the File Explorer. Problem: My problem is that now the overlay icons which are used by TortoiseSVN do not seem to show anymore in the "details" view (when...
  10. View/Choose Details

in Windows 10 Support
    View/Choose Details: In Windows 7 and earlier you could click View and "Choose Details" to customize which columns were displayed in an individual folder. Is there a way to do this in Windows 10? 45344