Windows 10: Wrong image size in MS Paint

Discus and support Wrong image size in MS Paint in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I had created a .png from Adobe Illustrator and when I open in Photoshop it is the size I want. 6". But when I open with paint it is 9". Why does this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Donna_0335, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Wrong image size in MS Paint

I had created a .png from Adobe Illustrator and when I open in Photoshop it is the size I want. 6". But when I open with paint it is 9". Why does this happen?

:)

Donna_0335, Aug 24, 2021
  2. ehalill Win User

Image size in Paint 3D

Is there a way to see the image size in Paint 3D? Not dimensions, but overall size (e.g. 2MB, 800 kb and so on). In Paint, I can see the size on the bottom edge, but I can't find it in Paint 3D. Sometimes I have to resize an image so it's not over a certain
    size, but I can't do it unless the size is displayed somewhere

ehalill, Aug 24, 2021
  3. Why does saving an image without changing anything in Paint reduce size drastically?

Someone recently suggested that I use MS Paint in my Win 7 machine to reduce file size without reducing image size. I gave it a try. I opened a 137mb tif file that was exported from LR 5 with the Prophoto RGB color profile into MS Paint and immediately saved it as a tif without changing anything to the file. The resulting tif file was only 14.8 mb! The image size was identical to the 137 mb file. Paint did not change the color profile. I opened both files in PS CS6 side by side, extremely zoomed in on areas of the image and could not tell the difference by looking at them on the monitor. There was no banding as usually seen in compressed jpgs. No apparent loss of detail at all. I have been looking online for an explanation for HOW Paint does this and found this relatively old thread. No real answers to be found here but at least the topic is addressed. I can understand compressing a jpg to reduce file size, but not a tif file. My plan is to make extreme crops from both files and have them printed to see what I get. This should be the real test for the MS Paint file size reduction. BTW, I have over 35 years of professional photography experience and look at images very critically.

Squeezemaster, Aug 24, 2021
  4. Wrong image size in MS Paint

MS Paint not working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are unable to use Microsoft Paint on your PC. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed on the PC? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

In this scenario, we would suggest you to check if you are able to launch Microsoft Paint from System32 folder.

1. Press Windows + E key to open
      File/Windows Explorer

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32
    3. Double click on mspaint.exe
    4. If you are able to launch then Pin to Taskbar and
      create a shortcut.

If the issue persists then try these steps.

Step 1: Run DISM & SFC scan

We would also suggest you to run the DISM & SFC Scan tool to check if you are able to launch MS Paint, refer this article:
    System File Checker.

Step 2: Reinstall Microsoft Paint app.

1. Press Windows + I key to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Apps and select
      Apps & features
      from left pane.
    3. Click on Optional features and select
      Microsoft Paint from the list.
    4. Click on Uninstall. Close
      Settings
      and restart the PC.
    5. Now perform step 1 and 2.
    6. Click on Optional features and click
      Add a feature.
    7. Check the box beside Microsoft Paint and click on
      Install.

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Aug 24, 2021
Thema:

Wrong image size in MS Paint

1. Wrong image size in MS Paint - Similar Threads - Wrong image size

2. Image properties and actual size of image not the same in Paint.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image properties and actual size of image not the same in Paint.: I'm doing a project on paint that requires a few files to be 6x9 inches. On some, when I set the properties to that measurement, the ruler and measurements on the program state 6x9, and the pixels in the files properties correspond also to those measurements.However, on other...
  3. Image properties and actual size of image not the same in Paint.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image properties and actual size of image not the same in Paint.: I'm doing a project on paint that requires a few files to be 6x9 inches. On some, when I set the properties to that measurement, the ruler and measurements on the program state 6x9, and the pixels in the files properties correspond also to those measurements.However, on other...
  4. Change default font size in MS Paint?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default font size in MS Paint?: How can I change the default font size which is 11 pt of MS Paint? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-font-size-in-ms-paint/16203e1e-dd73-4723-90fe-875a3d61869e
  5. Change default font size in MS Paint?

Change default font size in MS Paint?: How can I change the default font size which is 11 pt of MS Paint? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-font-size-in-ms-paint/16203e1e-dd73-4723-90fe-875a3d61869e
  6. MS Paint for image distortion CRTL + Num-

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Paint for image distortion CRTL + Num-: Hello experts, I've been utilizing MS Paint for image distortion since Windows 10 and Windows 11. For instance, I select an area and press CRTL + Num- , and it becomes distorted. While this worked effectively on the online version of MS Paint at https://mspaint.humanhead.com,...
  7. MS Paint for image distortion CRTL + Num-

MS Paint for image distortion CRTL + Num-: Hello experts, I've been utilizing MS Paint for image distortion since Windows 10 and Windows 11. For instance, I select an area and press CRTL + Num- , and it becomes distorted. While this worked effectively on the online version of MS Paint at https://mspaint.humanhead.com,...
  8. Size of image changes from MS Paint

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size of image changes from MS Paint: When I create an image in MS Paint it is sized in pixels. I can use the Properties page to set the initial size of the image. Say I sized the area to 200 x 200 pixels and then drew something on it and saved the image. When I then open the image with one of the photo viewing...
  9. Image size in Paint 3D

Image size in Paint 3D: Is there a way to see the image size in Paint 3D? Not dimensions, but overall size e.g. 2MB, 800 kb and so on. In Paint, I can see the size on the bottom edge, but I can't find it in Paint 3D. Sometimes I have to resize an image so it's not over a certain size, but I can't do...
  10. paint 3d image sizing

paint 3d image sizing: Hi, I've created 2D artwork that i want to print. When i send the tiff file to my printer the file appears to be very small even though i have set the pixel to the right size. The artwork sits very small in a white box....