Windows 10: Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10

Discus and support Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, MS Windows 10, Version 2004 (OS Build 1904.746) Hoping someone can help me solve a frustration I'm having... I installed Win 10 just around a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by diziet, Feb 9, 2021.

1. diziet Win User

Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10

Hi all,

MS Windows 10, Version 2004 (OS Build 1904.746)

Hoping someone can help me solve a frustration I'm having... I installed Win 10 just around a year ago and I'm sure I somehow managed to move the location of my documents folder. Not much of a problem as it still works. However I've started using OneDrive to try and sync files.

At the moment my 'Documents' folder is in the 'Users' folder. There is no folder with my username on it and when I try to create one nothing happens.
    C:\\User\Documents

After installing onedrive it appears inside my 'Documents' folder.
    C:\\Users\Documents\Onedrive

I have files saved in Onedrive but up until now I've not used the app to sync files.

Now, I have the set of files saved in 'Documents' and the different set of files in onedrive meaning I can't sync the two.

How can I move my documents folder to the correct place to get everything working properly?

**UPDATE - It actually appears as if my Documents folder and "username" folder are the same thing! ***

Thanks

:)

diziet, Feb 9, 2021

2. Wrong Documents folder

Is there a separate Documents folder showing when you scroll the File Explorer up? Below is a screenshot of how it should look like.

Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10 33ce5810-6dc9-4ee8-947c-a298fbdf9736.jpg

If there is a Document folder showing and it points to OneDrive, we suggest you perform the following:

• Right-click on the Documents folder, and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab.
    • Change the location where files in that folder are stored by removing the
      \OneDrive

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 9, 2021
  4. Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10

Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10

1. Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10 - Similar Threads - Wrong Location Documents

2. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  3. Windows 10 Document folder wrong location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Document folder wrong location: My Windows 10 This PC shows a different Documents folder than is used by everything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-document-folder-wrong-location/6589fe84-8eb7-43f4-83a6-ff98e303b00a
  4. Windows 10 Document folder wrong location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Document folder wrong location: My Windows 10 This PC shows a different Documents folder than is used by everything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-document-folder-wrong-location/6589fe84-8eb7-43f4-83a6-ff98e303b00a
  5. Windows 10 Document folder wrong location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive

Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive: There is a problem with my folders in the documents. I think that the issue is something like some folders are located in documents instead of local disc. I can't back up documents to onedrive because of important folders. Where can I relocate those folders? What kind of...
  7. Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive: There is a problem with my folders in the documents. I think that the issue is something like some folders are located in documents instead of local disc. I can't back up documents to onedrive because of important folders. Where can I relocate those folders? What kind of...
  8. Folders are located wrong, documents don't back up to onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Windows 10 Documents folder points to wrong location

Windows 10 Documents folder points to wrong location: Brand new installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. In Explorer, the "Documents" link under "This PC" on the left hand folder tree points to OneDrive, not my Documents folder. Attempting to change its location results by going to Properties > Location > Restore Default...
  10. Win 10 Documents Folder Problem

Win 10 Documents Folder Problem: Hi, I have what appears to be a very difficult problem. I used LapLink PC Mover Professional to move my files and programs from my desktop PC to my Surface Pro 3 laptop. In the process my This PC>Document folder became locked up with the OneDrive > Mucic folder in that a...