Windows 10: Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch

Discus and support Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, When using Win10 with my monitor it correctly sets the resolution to 1360x768. When I use my KVM switch it changes the resolution to 1024x768... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Jon Doe, May 24, 2016.

1. Jon Doe Win User

Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch

Hi,
    When using Win10 with my monitor it correctly sets the resolution to 1360x768.
    When I use my KVM switch it changes the resolution to 1024x768 which looks all wrong. I try to manually change the resolution but 1360x768 is not on the list. I have unchecked the "hide modes" in the advanced monitor setting but still no 1360x768.
    The other PC connected to the KVM switch is running XP and that works fine on 1360x768 so I know the KVM is capable of using this setting.
    How can I fix this?
    I was thinking there must be a way of manually setting and locking the resolution or turning of the auto monitor detection.

I did some googling and found a program which looked like it would help but not for the Intel chipset (using on board graphics).

Many thanks

JD

:)

Jon Doe, May 24, 2016
  2. KVM PRO Win User

KVM switch with win 10

I don't think it is Windows 10 caused the issues but the design concept of the KVM switches with those cases. I had using ConnectPRO Plus serial KVM switches with Windows 10 systems for a long time, and I never experienced the resolutions resizing issues.

Most of KVM switches in market are designed with emulation-base technology in devices sharing including for sharing the monitor, so when the more advanced OS, like Windows 10, is upgraded to those emulation-base KVM switch will have difficult in emulating
    /fitting the timing to the systems upgrade to Windows 10 which monitoring the I/O hot-plug and connected devices' status all the time.

I don't like to give suggestion of just changing the KVM switch and find a KVM switch based on DDM technology, but looks like there is no other solution then using more advanced KVM switches based on the DDM technology (Dynamic Device Mapping). Of you
    may want to using an EDID emulator putting it between each connected PC/system and your old KVM switch to keep feeding the EDID of your monitor to the Windows 10 PC/system.

KVM PRO, May 24, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Resolution can't be changed.

In my case, I experienced this problem immediately after upgrading. However, it turned out to be that my monitor had been mis-detected during upgrade (because I use a KVM switch).

The problem wasn't the video card being detected, or its driver. It was that the supported monitor resolutions were unknown because my monitor was being detected as "KVM Device" rather than the actual monitor.

After restarting my computer, the monitor was detected again, and full resolutions became available.

Zip Foxtaur, May 24, 2016
Thema:

Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch

1. Wrong monitor resolution when using KVM switch - Similar Threads - Wrong monitor resolution

2. Optimizing Battery Performance When Using KVM Switch with External Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optimizing Battery Performance When Using KVM Switch with External Monitor: I am currently utilizing a KVM switch to connect two laptops to a single external monitor. However, I encounter issues when toggling between laptops, especially when one laptop's lid is closed. To address this, I've adjusted the lid settings to prevent the laptop from...
  3. Optimizing Battery Performance When Using KVM Switch with External Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optimizing Battery Performance When Using KVM Switch with External Monitor: I am currently utilizing a KVM switch to connect two laptops to a single external monitor. However, I encounter issues when toggling between laptops, especially when one laptop's lid is closed. To address this, I've adjusted the lid settings to prevent the laptop from...
  4. Issue with a KVM switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with a KVM switch: Hello, This is an odd one. I am currently using a KVM switch. Both computers are running Windows 11. Here is my set up: Monitors are 2 4K monitorsMonitor 1: M28U Monitor 2: Asus Predator something Computer 1: Desktop Graphics Card 3080 TIComputer 2: Microsoft Surface Laptop...
  5. Issue with a KVM switch

Issue with a KVM switch: Hello, This is an odd one. I am currently using a KVM switch. Both computers are running Windows 11. Here is my set up: Monitors are 2 4K monitorsMonitor 1: M28U Monitor 2: Asus Predator something Computer 1: Desktop Graphics Card 3080 TIComputer 2: Microsoft Surface Laptop...
  6. Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor

Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor: Hi community,Couple of days ago I decided to upgrade to windows 11 and now my 2nd monitor resolution decided not to work. I'm using a Dell Latitude 5520 and since it only has one HDMI connector I'm using 2 monitors without the laptop's screen the 2nd monitor is connected with...
  7. KVM Switching Causes Monitors to be Rediscovered - Win10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    KVM Switching Causes Monitors to be Rediscovered - Win10: Hi all, this is my inaugural post into tenforums so thanks in advance for entertaining my issue. I hope I'm covering all the bases here but let me know if I need to provide more info. I did complete my PC specs page with most of the info but I can get more specific if needed....
  8. Second monitor has wrong resolution

Second monitor has wrong resolution: for a while, I've been using a Dell E248WFPb (native 1920x1200) connected via VGA on my Dell Optiplex 7040 Micro successfully at it's native resolution. But I just moved the computer to another room, and now that same monitor is a second monitor to a Samsung 2343 (native...
  9. Second monitor, wrong resolution

in Windows 10 Support
    Second monitor, wrong resolution: for a while, I've been using a Dell E248WFPb (native 1920x1200) connected via VGA on my Dell Optiplex 7040 Micro successfully at it's native resolution. But I just moved the computer to another room, and now that same monitor is a second monitor to a Samsung 2343 (native...
  10. Screen resolution changes when monitor switched off

Screen resolution changes when monitor switched off: Due to upgrading my M2 sytem boot drive I've had to reinstall Windows 10 and I've come across a plethora of problems that I had when first installed it last year. This one I know there is a Reg fix for it but trying to find it has proved fruitless. I have a 4k monitor and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kvm wrong monitor

2. win10 changes resolution when kvm switch

3. amd wrong resolution through KVM

4. wrong resolution kvm