Windows 10: Wrong Office version set as default

Discus and support Wrong Office version set as default in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm moving from Office 2007 to Office 365 but I don't want to uninstall 2007 until I'm confident in my use of 365. (And maybe upgrade my PC. It seems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pchelp, Jul 8, 2019.

1. pchelp Win User

Wrong Office version set as default

I'm moving from Office 2007 to Office 365 but I don't want to uninstall 2007 until I'm confident in my use of 365. (And maybe upgrade my PC. It seems to me that performance has slowed with 365.) The problem is that my file association only says "Microsoft Word". It doesn't specify the version-and 2007 starts when I open it from a file. How do I change the file association so it opens Word 365? (Have the same problem with Excel but frankly, if you can tell me how to change one I'm pretty confident I can figure out how to change the other.) Thanks.

:)

pchelp, Jul 8, 2019

2. Setting office 2016 as a default

This references Office 2013, but also applies to Office 2016:

Can't set earlier version of Office as Default Program

Applies To: Excel 2013 Word 2013 PowerPoint 2013 Publisher 2013 Access 2013

When you have two versions of an Office program on the same PC, such as Word 2013 and Word 2010, you won’t be able to set the older program as the default in Default Programs in Control Panel. Only the newer version of Office will show in the list of programs.

Because you can’t set the default Office program, you won’t be able to choose which version of Office you’d like to use when you open a file.

To get around this problem, start the Office program you’d like to use first, and then open the file (File > Open) in the program. For example, if you’d like to open an older Word document with Word 2010, you’d need to start Word 2010 and then open the document
    in Word.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Can-t-...

So, unfortunatel, there is no way around this.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 8, 2019
  3. Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Have you tried the following? how to disable "recent places" in MS Word? - Super User

jaamulberry, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Wrong Office version set as default

Windows 10 version of Office has disappeared

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Which version of office have you installed on your computer?

I suggest you to go to follow the below steps to search the office apps on your computer and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+X”, go to “Control panel”.
    • Click on “Programs and features”.
    • Check whether you can find office app located in programs list or not.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

Wrong Office version set as default

1. Wrong Office version set as default - Similar Threads - Wrong Office version

2. Office - default Folder settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office - default Folder settings?: Can I create a default Folder setting in Windows 11?I'd like to make all files in all Folders to be seen in View https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-default-folder-settings/1c9748c5-ebc5-4761-8e45-7b26192056f5
  3. Office - default Folder settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office - default Folder settings?: Can I create a default Folder setting in Windows 11?I'd like to make all files in all Folders to be seen in View https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-default-folder-settings/1c9748c5-ebc5-4761-8e45-7b26192056f5
  4. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong Version . . .: I've been trying to download, Windows 10 home version. But whenever I do it it's the pro version!I don't know, if I'm not licensed for it? But all I know, after installing pro. It says, "Activate" Windows!I want to put, the installation media. On my USB drive.So please give...
  5. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong Version . . .: I've been trying to download, Windows 10 home version. But whenever I do it it's the pro version!I don't know, if I'm not licensed for it? But all I know, after installing pro. It says, "Activate" Windows!I want to put, the installation media. On my USB drive.So please give...
  6. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Why does MS office now default to wrong outlook calendar?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why does MS office now default to wrong outlook calendar?: After daughter has used my laptop, even though ive signed her out of MS office, when i accept a linked in calendar invite it goes to her outlook calendar not mine. Any help appreciated?...
  8. Wrong Office version set as default

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Wrong Office version set as default: I'm moving from Office 2007 to Office 365 but I don't want to uninstall 2007 until I'm confident in my use of 365. (And maybe upgrade my PC. It seems to me that performance has slowed with 365.) The problem is that my file association only says "Microsoft Word". It doesn't...
  9. Set a version of a font as default for Windows

Set a version of a font as default for Windows: Hi everyone, I have 2 version of "Georgia Regular" A Pro version that I can install for my user in AppData/Local or in C:\Windows\Fonts for all Users A "normal" version installed when installing Windows 10 I want to use the Pro version as the default "Regular Version"....
  10. default app wrong version

default app wrong version: ho2.exe is a c# program I wrote (VS 2017 Community), at the moment installed in version 1.6 . Months ago, when it was version 1.1, I associated the extension .ho2pro with this program. Now, when I double click a file *.ho2pro, ho2.exe starts, but with the old version 1.1 ....