Windows 10: Wrong resolution on main display at boot in dual screen mode

Discus and support Wrong resolution on main display at boot in dual screen mode in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; In a few words, I have a MSI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Graphic card with the latest driver installed 16.40.2011 in Win 10 Pro 1607, and I've noticed that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Sara, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Sara Win User

Wrong resolution on main display at boot in dual screen mode

In a few words,
    I have a MSI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Graphic card with the latest driver installed 16.40.2011 in Win 10 Pro 1607, and I've noticed that when I plug the second monitor (a hd ready wide TV screen) into the hdmi slot, the main desktop screen (1280*1024) have the boot logo screen sequence stretched in vertical.

The resolution are set as recommended but indeed these are different. As soon as I remove the TV, everything is getting back to normal. Anyone experienced this behavior ?
    Thanks,

:)

2. DaveW20 Win User

Black screen after boot, before sign-in, after updates to PC and live repartioning of the HDD

Thanks Syed,

I looked into your suggestions and it told me a quite a lot in terms of understanding the problem but didn't lead to a solution and this is an update for you. If you have any further suggestions they are welcome.

From the website Dell they have not tested the N5050 (Intel i5 Dual core processor) chassis for Windows 10 and don't plan to do so, and there are no update or rollback driver updates, therefore if this is a PC problem there may be no solution but to
    live with it.

I connected a 2nd screen to the laptop on VGA when it was in the blackscreen state and immediately got a 1024x768 display on the 2nd screen (not native 1920x1080 mode but no safe mode). I could log in even while the disk light was on, correct the resolution
    and start to work but no dual screen mode was available. When the disk light stopped I rebooted and everything seemed to work normally with all the usual video screen options, resolutions and modes.

For normal start-ups there is no problems, so since I didn't have any problems before upgrading to Windows 10 from 7, it seems that this is the OS selecting the secondary (external) video option/mode for some reason after post-update startup, without
    the options for setting resolution or dual screen modes.

I have a couple of issues still to confirm, but neither will give a full solution:

- To log in in the black screen state and see if it then displays the main screen

- To unplug the 2nd screen while it’s the only one showing content and see if the primary display starts up

Regards

DaveW20, Sep 17, 2016
  3. Screen resolution in Windows 10

My screen resolution was changed in the win 10 update 1 installation and now I can not boot to a visual display. Tells me that the settings are wrong and I am stuck. I can not log into the machine and can not get into safe mode to reset it. Now what?

RobertChamberlainke6kgo, Sep 17, 2016
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Yes there are problems with second displays affecting the primary display in many cases.

You may be lucky in the fact that removing the second display restores the primary display to normal - sometimes it remains distorted until rebooting.

No doubt the problems will go in time as the TV hardware improves, and the PC display drivers become more effective for multiple different display formats.

Fafhrd, Sep 17, 2016
  5. Sara Win User
    oh, good to know, thanks; As soon as the boot sequence is finished and we are into the OS window, the resolution is fine on the main display even with the second display plugged in. It looks like is something related to the way UEFI handle the boot screen resolution not the VGA driver because this is happening before getting into the OS as I've mentioned above, imho.

LE: I've managed somehow changing the way mobo's logo is displayed during the boot sequence in UEFI.
    There are 3 options: in Auto mode the screen is vertically stretched (not a good option) but using Disable or Full screen could be a better approach, the boot screen it looks fine on the main screen.

Sara, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wrong resolution on main display at boot in dual screen mode - Similar Threads - Wrong resolution main

2. Wrong screen resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wrong screen resolution: Hello! I have an old laptop HP mini 210 1100 with wrong screen size. I updated display and video drivers. I have correct settings for screen resolution and text size, but I have an image is bigger than screen everywhere, include BIOS. Any ideas? Thank you!...
  3. Wrong screen resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong screen resolution: Hello! I have an old laptop HP mini 210 1100 with wrong screen size. I updated display and video drivers. I have correct settings for screen resolution and text size, but I have an image is bigger than screen everywhere, include BIOS. Any ideas? Thank you!...
  4. Wrong screen resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Recommended display resolution is wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recommended display resolution is wrong: When I open Display settings and go to Scale and Layout the recommended resolution is 1024 x 768. I got this problem with my old pc and also with my new one so I don't think its a hardware issue, unless its the monitor, anything I can do to fix this? This issue stops me from...
  6. Wrong Display Resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong Display Resolution: TLDR: Windows 10 won't show proper display resolution. 1920x1080 resolution shows up and shows applied, but is not actually applied. Google Search not helping. OG: Windows 10 will not display 1080p resolution and I am at a loss for what to do. I have uninstalled and...
  7. Displaying in Wrong Resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Displaying in Wrong Resolution: I have a monitor which displays 1440x900 but when I go into settings to try to change the resolution, it only gives me a few options, non of which are the correct resolution. This results in an incorrect aspect ratio and stretching. I've tried uninstalling the display adapter...
  8. Screen resolution wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen resolution wrong: I was playing Jurassic World: Evolution when all of a sudden my screen became far too zoomed in, becoming 1024x768 instead of what I assume to be 1920x1080, so I quit the game, and went to find a way to fix it. There was no option to switch it back to 1920x1080, so I had to...
  9. Wrong screen resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Wrong screen resolution: Hi, I've just updated my home PC to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. I have an ASUS VS239 HR monitor with a true resolution of 1920 x 1080. VS239HR | Monitors | ASUS Global Unfortunately the only screen resolution option for my PC that appears in the Windows 10...
  10. Intermittent wrong screen resolution at boot

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Intermittent wrong screen resolution at boot: This has only started happening recently - every few boots, the screen choice between Windows 10 and XP appears with the wrong resolution. The image is small on the screen. If I select Windows 10, the full boot sequence continues with that resolution. However, if I select...