Windows 10: Wrong user name/profile in registry

Discus and support Wrong user name/profile in registry in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Recently changed name of a user account. Thought it was straight forward but I started getting the dreaded "We can not sign into your account" error.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by edee em, Sep 7, 2019.

1. edee em Win User

Wrong user name/profile in registry

Recently changed name of a user account. Thought it was straight forward but I started getting the dreaded "We can not sign into your account" error. Off to the registry, under this user's account, where I noticed the old username with the Temp designation but it wouldn't let me delete the temporary user profile. Tried going in under my account (admin) and the temp user profile was gone but so too was the new user account. However, one of the registry user profile entries had the ".bak" extension.

I know I'm doing something wrong but don't know what it is (I learned this from being married for over 35 years and using computers for about as long *Wink). Help?

:)

edee em, Sep 7, 2019

2. Sign on screen User Name is wrong

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• How many user account do you have on your system?
    • Are you able to log-in to the system?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps. I suggest you to remove the username from Credential Manager and check.

• Type credential Manager on the Windows search bar and select Credential Manager.
    • Now try removing the user name and password by clicking on the credential.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the result.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 7, 2019
  3. VinceB Win User
    User Profile Service Service failed! User profile cannot be loaded.

Brink:
    I am using registry editor from command prompt. Drilled down to c:windows\system32\config inside the Load Hive dialog window. Have selected (checked box) the SAM file; clicking on Open opens error message that says:

SAM
    This file is in use.
    Enter a new name or close the file that's open in another program.

_______

I am at a loss, since I am not running any other program!

Any suggestions?

The SAM file is listed as being 64KB file size.

VinceB, Sep 7, 2019
  4. DSD
    DSD Win User

Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

Thema:

1. Wrong user name/profile in registry - Similar Threads - Wrong user name

2. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  3. Windows profile user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows profile user name: I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the same 1st 5 chars. Would this cause problems if I add these 2 accounts? Is it possible to make the profile name as the 1st 10...
  4. Windows profile user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows profile user name: I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the same 1st 5 chars. Would this cause problems if I add these 2 accounts? Is it possible to make the profile name as the 1st 10...
  5. Windows profile user name

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Wrong profile name displayed

Wrong profile name displayed: Hi, i noticed at times that windows has my son's name listed with his email for example at the top of the settings dashboard? Is that because he has somewhere logged in to his microsoft account on my desktop. How do i get rid of this and display my own details? Thank you....
  7. Login With Wrong User Profile

Login With Wrong User Profile: Recently when I log in with my Microsoft username and password, I login with an unknown user profile. Formerly I logged in with a user profile for 'Rankin Desktop'. When I logged in a few days ago, I got a message like "can't find user profile". That may be when this all...
  8. Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Displaying Wrong Name for User Profile Folder: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheRealHourglass [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dpvnou/windows_explorer_displaying_wrong_name_for_user/
  9. User Profile Folder Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Profile Folder Name: This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to get your User folder renamed. Because going through the hassle of creating a new user, backing up all your files in your...
  10. User Profile Name Change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profile Name Change: how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name... 9824