Windows 10: Wrong Win10 Version Installed

Discus and support Wrong Win10 Version Installed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I downloaded and burned to DVD Win10 ... I did a clean install onto another partition which went fairly well.... But I ran into a few problems I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Omega1, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Omega1 Win User

Wrong Win10 Version Installed

I downloaded and burned to DVD Win10 ... I did a clean install onto another partition which went fairly well....

But I ran into a few problems I hope someone can help with...

1.) Windows 10 is asking for the product key.

2.) I noticed the version of Win10 installed was the wrong version.
    I have Windows 8/8.1 Pro with media center, but Windows 10 Home was installed.

My questions are where do I get the product key from? MS never sent one or supplied one when I downloaded Win10. My Windows 8 key does not work for Win10.
    And why would the Home Edition be installed when I have Win8 Pro installed?

Wrong Win10 Version Installed [​IMG]

:)

Omega1, Jul 30, 2015
  2. dozrguy Win User

Windows 10 Home 64-bit not activate after clean install from cd on activated Windows 10 Pro .

its rather curious that you made a "clean install" of win10 and got downgraded to the home version.

Were you using a downloaded .iso? if so you definately had the wrong version.

heres the pro

make sure when given the option of the 7 versions of win10, you get the prox64

dozrguy, Jul 30, 2015
  3. MicahStone Win User
    Windows10Upgrade28084.exe Fails to Upgrade with Error 0x8004005, 0x50014

Can't seem to upgrade my installed version of Win10, 10240, to Anniversary Update version 14393 -- or any previous/earlier version.

The setupact.log file in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther is large (~41MB). What portions of that will be helpful in diagnosing what went wrong?

MicahStone, Jul 30, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Did you do the upgrade first and where did you download this ISO ?

jds63, Jul 30, 2015
  5. labeeman Win User
    You did not do an upgrade you did a new install which means a new key to purchase.

labeeman, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Omega1 Win User
    No I didn't do an Upgrade, I installed using the custom setting.... The Iso was downloaded using the Media CreationTool..

Omega1, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Omega1 Win User
    You're right, I did a clean install on a new partition.... Could I just re-install Windows 8/8.1 on the new partition, run the upgrade for Win10, then format the partition, then do a clean install??

Omega1, Jul 30, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Exactly....upgrade first ......tutorials here on it

jds63, Jul 30, 2015
  9. owensdj Win User
    You made a mistake in doing a fresh re-install before you did an upgrade from your existing Windows 8.1 Pro install. You must do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 and make sure Windows 10 is activated with Microsoft before you can do a clean re-install of Windows 10. Once the upgraded install is activated you can install 10 without putting in the Product Key. Microsoft's servers keep a record of the machine and the key.

At this point you have no choice but to reinstall Windows 8.1 and let it activate before you can upgrade to Windows 10. Upgrade with Windows 10 Pro.

owensdj, Jul 30, 2015
  10. labeeman Win User
    Can't hurt to try it yes you do need to upgrade from a activated OS.

labeeman, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Omega1 Win User
    Thanks owensdj... I should have known this.... I guess my age is really starting to show.. *Smile

Omega1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Wrong Win10 Version Installed - Similar Threads - Wrong Win10 Version

2. What is wrong with WIN10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is wrong with WIN10: Everyone knows that windows 10 is not a buggy OS. WIN10 IS A TOTAL BUG. After the last updates my computer does not charge. It has 0% battery and i cant remove WIN10 !!!! Just accept your fault and fix that battery bug ok ? AND PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME TO CHECK MY POWER CABLE...
  3. Wrong windows version installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wrong windows version installed: A friend was recently helping me with PC issues but in the end we had to reinstall windows. Unfortunately he messed up and installed a trial version of the wrong edition of windows using the wrong installation media. This only came to light after I got messages about the...
  4. Wrong PDF reader versioning on Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Wrong PDF reader versioning on Firefox: I have the Add-on Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox V 15.9.20069.28170 installed Firefox keep telling me the Add_on needs to be updated (when check for update), but when I install it claims I already have the latest version ! Tracking latest version is not right 27077
  5. Installed programs - wrong install dates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed programs - wrong install dates: Is this another consequence of the recent flawed Win 10 update(s)? In my list of 214 installed programs (Settings > Apps > Apps & Features) about 150 are shown with install dates of 21/1/2018. That's the date I installed version 1709, including buggy KB4056892 which I've...
  6. Wrong Program Installation Dates!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong Program Installation Dates!: I upgraded to Windows 10 a week ago. I noticed in Control Panel / Programs & Features that about 30 programs have an "Installed On" date of yesterday when they were actually installed ages ago and another 20 or so programs have an "Installed On" date of 10 June when I...
  7. Have I upgraded to the wrong version?

Have I upgraded to the wrong version?: Hi there, I've just bought a new laptop: a Lenovo Z51, Windows 8.1, 8GB RAM. I've immediately upgraded it to Windows 10. I had a few problems on the way, but I thought I'd finally got there. (One thing I haven't sorted is activation, but I'll contact the company I...
  8. Wrong version of Windows 10

Wrong version of Windows 10: Hello, I have installed Windows 10 build 10.130 Pro. I should have installed another version, I am upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium Dutch. I would like the stay at Dutch. At this moment it seems impossible to activate my Windows 10/ I presume because I have made wrong...
  9. Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10?: I'm not too happy with 10 and wanted to roll back to 8.1 but when I tried everything worked perfectly till the last moment when I was left with a black screen. I gave windows Tech permission to access my PC and they tried it - same result. I was called back and told to call...
  10. Wrong version of Anniversary?

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong version of Anniversary?: I went to the nVidia website to download a new driver for my TITAN BLACK GPU, and it said there that my OS is Anniversary 32 bit! But on my computer, in SYSTEM INFORMATION, and in SPECCY, it says, WINDOWS 10 PRO, (which I'm supposed to have)! Can anybody tell me what's going...