Windows 10: Wrong Win10 Version Installed

Discus and support Wrong Win10 Version Installed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I downloaded and burned to DVD Win10 ... I did a clean install onto another partition which went fairly well.... But I ran into a few problems I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Omega1, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Omega1 Win User

Wrong Win10 Version Installed

I downloaded and burned to DVD Win10 ... I did a clean install onto another partition which went fairly well....

But I ran into a few problems I hope someone can help with...

1.) Windows 10 is asking for the product key.

2.) I noticed the version of Win10 installed was the wrong version.
    I have Windows 8/8.1 Pro with media center, but Windows 10 Home was installed.

My questions are where do I get the product key from? MS never sent one or supplied one when I downloaded Win10. My Windows 8 key does not work for Win10.
    And why would the Home Edition be installed when I have Win8 Pro installed?

Wrong Win10 Version Installed [​IMG]

:)

Omega1, Jul 30, 2015
  2. dozrguy Win User

Windows 10 Home 64-bit not activate after clean install from cd on activated Windows 10 Pro .

its rather curious that you made a "clean install" of win10 and got downgraded to the home version.

Were you using a downloaded .iso? if so you definately had the wrong version.

heres the pro

make sure when given the option of the 7 versions of win10, you get the prox64

dozrguy, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Windows10Upgrade28084.exe Fails to Upgrade with Error 0x8004005, 0x50014

Can't seem to upgrade my installed version of Win10, 10240, to Anniversary Update version 14393 -- or any previous/earlier version.

The setupact.log file in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther is large (~41MB). What portions of that will be helpful in diagnosing what went wrong?

MicahStone, Jul 30, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Did you do the upgrade first and where did you download this ISO ?

jds63, Jul 30, 2015
  5. labeeman Win User
    You did not do an upgrade you did a new install which means a new key to purchase.

labeeman, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Omega1 Win User
    No I didn't do an Upgrade, I installed using the custom setting.... The Iso was downloaded using the Media CreationTool..

Omega1, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Omega1 Win User
    You're right, I did a clean install on a new partition.... Could I just re-install Windows 8/8.1 on the new partition, run the upgrade for Win10, then format the partition, then do a clean install??

Omega1, Jul 30, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Exactly....upgrade first ......tutorials here on it

jds63, Jul 30, 2015
  9. owensdj Win User
    You made a mistake in doing a fresh re-install before you did an upgrade from your existing Windows 8.1 Pro install. You must do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 and make sure Windows 10 is activated with Microsoft before you can do a clean re-install of Windows 10. Once the upgraded install is activated you can install 10 without putting in the Product Key. Microsoft's servers keep a record of the machine and the key.

At this point you have no choice but to reinstall Windows 8.1 and let it activate before you can upgrade to Windows 10. Upgrade with Windows 10 Pro.

owensdj, Jul 30, 2015
  10. labeeman Win User
    Can't hurt to try it yes you do need to upgrade from a activated OS.

labeeman, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Omega1 Win User
    Thanks owensdj... I should have known this.... I guess my age is really starting to show.. *Smile

Omega1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Wrong Win10 Version Installed - Similar Threads - Wrong Win10 Version

2. Device boots to wrong version of WIN10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device boots to wrong version of WIN10: I have been trying to reimage a Lenovo laptop with our image of WIN10 Education. With the USB image I'm able to delete all partitions and install the OS on the unallocated drive available after I delete the partitions. We do this to every single laptop that comes across our...
  3. Device boots to wrong version of WIN10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device boots to wrong version of WIN10: I have been trying to reimage a Lenovo laptop with our image of WIN10 Education. With the USB image I'm able to delete all partitions and install the OS on the unallocated drive available after I delete the partitions. We do this to every single laptop that comes across our...
  4. Device boots to wrong version of WIN10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong Version . . .: I've been trying to download, Windows 10 home version. But whenever I do it it's the pro version!I don't know, if I'm not licensed for it? But all I know, after installing pro. It says, "Activate" Windows!I want to put, the installation media. On my USB drive.So please give...
  6. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Version . . .: I've been trying to download, Windows 10 home version. But whenever I do it it's the pro version!I don't know, if I'm not licensed for it? But all I know, after installing pro. It says, "Activate" Windows!I want to put, the installation media. On my USB drive.So please give...
  7. Installed wrong win 10 version.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installed wrong win 10 version.: HI I installed the wrong windows 10 version: Windows 10 pro N. While the product key I purchased is for Windows 10 Pro. I tried to use the key I have for activation but it didn't accept it. What should I do? Thanks, Rune...
  8. Installed the wrong version of Windows 10

Installed the wrong version of Windows 10: I've recently built myself a new PC and upon installing what should have been Windows 10 Home, have installed the Education version of Windows instead. I was wondering if the was any way in which I could uninstall my current version of windows, and then reinstall the correct...
  9. Microsoft account shows wrong Win10 build version

Microsoft account shows wrong Win10 build version: My Microsoft account (accessed via browser) shows my PC as 'never having been updated' and says the PC is running Windows 10 Pro version 1803 But the PC is updated to version 1809 (and has been for months). Windows settings shows the correct build (1809) Why is this...
  10. Wrong windows version installed

Wrong windows version installed: A friend was recently helping me with PC issues but in the end we had to reinstall windows. Unfortunately he messed up and installed a trial version of the wrong edition of windows using the wrong installation media. This only came to light after I got messages about the...