Windows 10: WSearch service not starting

Discus and support WSearch service not starting in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After updating to win11 22h2, I think the WSearch service is not starting, When I try to start the service, It says Error 5 Access Denied, Error 2 for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by chhavimanichoubey, Jan 25, 2023.

1. WSearch service not starting

After updating to win11 22h2, I think the WSearch service is not starting, When I try to start the service, It says Error 5 Access Denied, Error 2 for Failing to read the description occurs in the Service description section. When I looked into the properties of the searchindexer.exe file, I saw that permission windows say it must have read permissions, I tried permitting it, but it said permission denied, All dependent services are working just fine.Laptop: Asus VivoBook X515UA-M515UA 1. Tried fixing and reinstating group policy and registry values to default and still the same error,2.

:)

chhavimanichoubey, Jan 25, 2023

2. service named "Windows Search" does not exist; WSearch service - "Error 5: Access is denied"

In an Administrator Command Prompt see what you get from

sc.exe qc wsearch

and

sc.exe queryex wsearch

and

sc.exe qdescription wsearch

(since that seems to be a problem)

A PowerShell alternative is

Get-Service wsearch | fl *

Unfortunately (surprisingly) that doesn't show the Description.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Jan 25, 2023
  3. pepanee Win User
    wsearch won't start, error 5 access denied

I guess when the service itself has an issue, it renames itself to the "Service name" instead of "Display name".

WSearch service not starting 369843d1656363197t-wsearch-wont-start-error-5-access-denied-image.png

- - - Updated - - -

Try these suggestions:
    c# - windows could not start service on local computer error 5 access is denied - Stack Overflow

- - - Updated - - -

Another idea, similar to: DHCP Client service Error 5: Access is denied

1) Open Registry Editor and go to:
    2) Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WSearch
    3) Right click WSearch, and press Permissions...
    Do all these look similar on your computer? If not, then make them similar and restart your computer:

WSearch service not starting 369845d1656364082t-wsearch-wont-start-error-5-access-denied-image.png

After the computer restarts, see if Windows Search works

- - - Updated - - -

Here are search results for having an exactly the same Permissions error for a Service:
    "windows could not start the "+"error 5 access is denied" - Search

This could widen the horizon of different possibilities that you can try to fix the error if none of the above worked.

pepanee, Jan 25, 2023
  4. WSearch service not starting

service named "Windows Search" does not exist; WSearch service - "Error 5: Access is denied"

The service is not starting at all so it never stops, abruptly or not.

C:\Users\Brian>sc.exe qdescription wsearch

[SC] QueryServiceConfig2 SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: wsearch

DESCRIPTION: This should be Windows Search

C:\Users\Brian>net start wsearch

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Brian>sc.exe queryex wsearch

SERVICE_NAME: wsearch

TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS

STATE : 1 STOPPED

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)

CHECKPOINT : 0x0

WAIT_HINT : 0x7d0

PID : 0

FLAGS :

BrianMinsk, Jan 25, 2023
Thema:

WSearch service not starting

1. WSearch service not starting - Similar Threads - WSearch service starting

2. WSearch service not starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSearch service not starting: After updating to win11 22h2, I think the WSearch service is not starting, When I try to start the service, It says Error 5 Access Denied, Error 2 for Failing to read the description occurs in the Service description section. When I looked into the properties of the...
  3. The WSearch service failed to start due to the following error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The WSearch service failed to start due to the following error: There's a strange man in my house searching through all of my stuff.Apparently this is Ok because he works for Microsoft!I killed him and Microsoft sent another guy, I killed him too ...Microsoft keep sending new guys to search through my stuff.How do I make them STOP ?...
  4. The WSearch service failed to start due to the following error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The WSearch service failed to start due to the following error: There's a strange man in my house searching through all of my stuff.Apparently this is Ok because he works for Microsoft!I killed him and Microsoft sent another guy, I killed him too ...Microsoft keep sending new guys to search through my stuff.How do I make them STOP ?...
  5. DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable"...: Windows give me like 50: DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:why? i can't even boot i can in safe mode when i reinstall windows i have around 2 min and then my screen update and then frozen...
  6. DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable"...: Windows give me like 50: DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:why? i can't even boot i can in safe mode when i reinstall windows i have around 2 min and then my screen update and then frozen...
  7. DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable"...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. PLEASE HELP!!! Windows Update ruined my Search Index, WSearch service won't start,...

in Cortana
    PLEASE HELP!!! Windows Update ruined my Search Index, WSearch service won't start,...: I've been dealing with this problem for several weeks, after installing a usual windows update it appears it has completely stuffed my Windows Search Service, which in turn is obviously effecting my Search Indexing. I have done pretty much everything to try and fix this and...
  9. Audio Service Not Starting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Service Not Starting: Hello all, my desktop computer won't play any audio. It says "The Audio Service is not running" and whenever I try to start it in Services, it gives me the error "0x80070005: Access is denied". In Windows settings as well, it's not detecting my HyperX Cloud 2 Headset, even...
  10. WSearch No Longer Working

in Windows 10 Support
    WSearch No Longer Working: For some reason the search indexing service has stopped and I can't restart it. I've tried rebooting multiple times. I've seen some other threads mention RPC and it is indeed running on my system. This happened very recently (24 hours). From the services panel, trying to...